Valued Contributor
On 5/25/2015 GCR18 said: Thank you for your replies. I'm not worried about the hair. I'll just wear a cap. I'm worried about the possibility of nausea and feeling unwell. I don't know what feeling unwell means exactly. When typically does nausea start? I know things happen differently for different people. Do I take my nausea pill the minute chemo stops and keep doing it for a couple days? I've never heard the term neulasta, so I guess I'm not getting it. Nobody mentioned if I needed a ride to/fro chemo. I'm thinking I can drive myself. The hospital is about 25 minutes away............................grc18. Hi again. Your drs and nurses will supply you with your rx for nausea and explain how they want you to take it and when. Don't worry they're not going to " forget" to address these issues. When I was taking carbo and taxol I felt very tired, I ached all over, much like I had the flu , and I got dehydrated no matter how much I tried to drink. I had some nausea but the meds kept me from throwing up. I had taste changes, everything tasted awful and had a metallic taste , normal smells , we nauseating to me while on chemo. It's different for everyone. Sometimes I felt feverish, other times I felt like I was freezing, chemo really messed with my internal thermometer . There are a lot of emotional issues with chemo as well, many times pts are put on anti depressants while on chemo. If possible , I'd suggest getting yourself a couple of new " lounge" outfits. Something very comfortable. Be good to yourself and allow your friends and family to help you. Do you live alone? Married? Children? I agree that you need someone to drive you to chemo. They give meds before the chemo to help with the side effects and some of those meds can make you sleepy. Ask all the questions you want, and always have your drs number to call if you need to. ...... Hang in there!! Goldie
Valued Contributor
Karen, do you have or ever had cancer? If you haven't You are welcome to post anyway. You will learn a lot and of course please join in, cheering on and encouraging the ladies here , that are going through some very tough times........ Goldie
Super Contributor
You can drive after the first couple chemo treatments but after that you will probably be too tired. I was lucky I never got sick. I took the Medes about 2 hrs before time. I had one to take 8 hr another 6. I just was so tired after a few treatments I could hardly sit up for more than 4 hrs then. I was in bed. Loosing hair is not fun. Been one year since ladt rad and hair comes ng in good. Still red. Had it trimmed up 5 times. My hairdresser said he was tied me to liook like this was my style not chemo. I wore ballcaps with glitter they made me feel good and I matched outfits. Yes it is hard but you can do. I also had several pretty scarves, Good luck
Respected Contributor

GC, You will be given Decadon, Benedryl and Zofran before chemo. The benedryl makes you tired so it's not a good idea to drive. this was my time frame. I finished chemo at 3pm. By 6-7 the nausea hit me. I mean I was hanging over the bowl. I had cytoxin and taxol. Load your house up with ginger ale. Trust me I was a lot smarter with the second treatment. I took my Zofran at around 5pm and continued it for a day. If you can get past the nausea the rest won't be too bad. Just remember you have to drink lots of fluids and eat light meals. We all have tips for you. First two treatments not so bad. By the 3rd you'll be getting a bit worn out. Just rest and go with it. We'll help you through it.

Karen and Crazered welcome to the board.

Respected Contributor

Hi crazered - TNBC here. All they can do for us is give us the most chemo they can without killing us and the full dose of radiation. As you know, this type is very aggressive and more likely to come back than others. I'm a little over 2 yrs out, so am hopeful. If you're one year out, that's excellent! The chemo works especially well on this type of cancer. Mine was Stage II, grade 3, poorly differentiated and had spread to my lymph nodes. I had a partial mastectomy.

The part we can do is report ANYTHING out of the ordinary to our oncologists and keep up with our regular visits, mammo and blood tests. I also am eating better and more organic to keep some of those pollutants out of my body. Any significant ache or pain or whatever out of the ordinary and my oncologist has me in a Cat Scan just to make sure.

I had a lot of complications from surgery and I am in a study, so they are still watching me pretty close. I just graduated to seeing my onc every 6 mos now and am back to once a year mammo, which drives me crazy. I wish they could look, without the radiation effects every month! I do have atypical ductal hyperplasia in my non-cancer breast, but they don't seem to be too worried about that.

As for the hair, it seems to go through some goofy stages - mine started out curly, but when I got it cut the first time the curls fell to the floor and never came back. I cried. I'm not sure why. It was like the whole chemo experience was laying there on the floor.

Any way, what I did is try some different products while my hair was growing out. The "pastes" worked the best for a while when it was so short I couldn't even part it. Now I use a good mousse and it helps. My hair is pretty much back to normal now. I've even had it highlighted (just bleach - that's natural, right?!!) and it's doing fine. Eat good protein and drinks lots of water.

I'm 66 and I think just aging alone makes our hair not quite like it used to be unfortunately. I'm like Goldie and feel like I'm aging in dog years, lol!

Take care and post as often as you want, we love hearing from you.

LL

Contributor
On 5/24/2015 emalyn said: This is all good information,thank you. I will be retested in August. ShuGirl did you notice a difference in how you felt when your bit. D level rose?
Hi Em, sorry I didn't see your post.....yes I noticed a huge difference in how I felt. I had difficulty with very little range of motion in my right shoulder prior to the Vit D. Now I can raise my arm pretty much straight over my head. I definitely have more energy, but not like I had before my diagnosis. Shugirl
Contributor

Sorry that there are a few new people here. Hopefully this will be a good resource for you. While the drs., nurses, and lab technicians are helpful and concerned, sometimes it helps to talk to someone who has "walked the walk."

As there are all kids of cancers and even within a given cancer reactions and problems can be different, some of my tips might not be applicable.

1. If you have a port: wear a blouse, dress, or tee that has buttons at least to your bra line for easy access to your port.

2. Your coloring might change. The American Cancer Society gives makeup lessons taught by licensed cosmetologist. Its a fun cclass.

3. You might feel too tired or too unfocused to drive. The American Cancer Society provides rides to any and all medical appointments.

4. If you feel that you can benefit from talking to other patients face to face, many hospitals have cancer groups. Ask your oncologist for lists of help/resources that is/are available in your area.

5. There are several bbs on the web for cancer patients.

6. Some hospitals and the American Cancer Society have wig banks.

7. Food. Many have trouble eating. So eat very small amounts of food very frequently - I ate maybe 2-3 T of something every half hour, I love to cook but was not interested in food, so I bought many prepared foods - I am fortunate to have many high quality supers in my area. Tempt yourself by having what you consider to be luxury or "forbidden" foods - maybe expensive maybe high calorie. Eat comfort foods or foods that your family prepared for you in childhood when you were recovering from flu, measles, or whatever. (They spell love, comfort, and caring.) Your sense of taste changes so that is one reason why food becomes an issue for cancer patients. Eat your very favorite foods - you will not be able to have much of a balanced diet so just eat your faves because that might tempt you to eat more than you want to. (My dr. did not forbid me to take a vitamin pill so I did that to try to emulate a balanced and nutritious diet. Check with you oncologist about taking a vitamin pill.) Smoothies are a good way to supplement your diet.

8. Your particular cancer might have a group - so breast cancer patients have more groups than they can count. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society helps patients with blood cancers. I volunteer for them so I am familiar with the help they can provide - one good program (I do this) is called First Connection - a newly diagnosed patient is matched with a survivor who had the same cancer, age, and s*x. I cannot give medical advice but I can talk about my experiences and sympathize with their experiences esp. with prednisone).

In case you are wondering - I was a stage 4 non-Hodgkin Lymphoma small B cell cancer patient. My cancer had a 30% cure rate when I was diagnosed, but within 2 treatments that rate had jumped to 60% thanks to Genentech's Rituxan. I was a recent widow and I was 65. I tell you this so that you realize there is hope for all.

My sincere and heartfelt best wishes for all of you newly diagnosed patients.

Valued Contributor
Amaivy thank you for stopping by, your information is right on target and much appreciated. And I want to add to gcr18 and all the other newly diagnosed patients. You have a lot of support here. But don't forget there's a LOT of hope. There's an excellent chance your cancer will be stopped in it's tracks and you will go on to live a long happy life. And no matter what. Never ever give up hope . ......Goldie
Honored Contributor
On 5/25/2015 JackieHN said:

GC, You will be given Decadon, Benedryl and Zofran before chemo. The benedryl makes you tired so it's not a good idea to drive. this was my time frame. I finished chemo at 3pm. By 6-7 the nausea hit me. I mean I was hanging over the bowl. I had cytoxin and taxol. Load your house up with ginger ale. Trust me I was a lot smarter with the second treatment. I took my Zofran at around 5pm and continued it for a day. If you can get past the nausea the rest won't be too bad. Just remember you have to drink lots of fluids and eat light meals. We all have tips for you. First two treatments not so bad. By the 3rd you'll be getting a bit worn out. Just rest and go with it. We'll help you through it.

Karen and Crazered welcome to the board.

This helps a lot. I know I need to get ahead of the nausea, but didn't have any idea of the time frame. I was asked where I wanted prescriptions sent, but nothing was sent. I am going to call tomorrow. I don't want to have to go to the drug store on the way home from chemo. I know they push the hospital pharmacy, but that would be considered out of network for my prescription plan. I have to be there at 745 on Thursday and was told I'd be there until 3. Thanks
Honored Contributor
On 5/25/2015 AkaGoldie said: Amaivy thank you for stopping by, your information is right on target and much appreciated. And I want to add to gcr18 and all the other newly diagnosed patients. You have a lot of support here. But don't forget there's a LOT of hope. There's an excellent chance your cancer will be stopped in it's tracks and you will go on to live a long happy life. And no matter what. Never ever give up hope . ......Goldie
I am neutral on the topic at the moment. I guess once things get moving, I may feel differently. Right now it's not real.