Honored Contributor

Hello all!

Did everyone make it thru these last few days unscathed? Looking forward to getting over NY Eve as around my house, as soon as it gets dark, the neighbors begin the barrage of explosives they call fireworks for hours and hours!! My poor stripey cat, Echo, goes into a tizzy and growls and hides.

Anyway---hope everyone is doing well. I know there are a few here starting treatment so please let us know what we can do for you.

I went in last Monday for my scrape and burn on a tiny skin cancer spot---can I just say that uttering that "c" work again made me just a little crazy!!!!! But it is gone and no worries about it coming back. And finally I have said goodbye to my bronchitis cough after almost 5 weeks--what an ordeal!!

Would really like to hear from you all.

PAM

Respected Contributor

Hi Rizzo,

Your suppose to start taking the neulasta around a day or two before chemo and a day or so afterwards. It wards off the aches and pains that come from the neulasta. My girlfriend did great on the claritin. I didn't know about it and was living on motrin and two heating pads. Tips are tons of fluids and take your anti nausea medication before it all starts. I learned that if I took the medication about 3 hrs after chemo I wouldn't get the nausea. Load up on ginger ale, ginger candy, or ginger tea. It does help.

My Christmas stunk. Lasagna was disgusting. Fighting galore at my sister in laws and mother in law was acting like a martyr. Told husband. Next year is a Jewish Christmas. Movie and Chinese food.

Pam, so sorry about your bronchitis lasting so long. It's a horror. Now it's flu season here full force and from what I hear the flu shot doesn't cover all of the strains. Well, I'm not leaving the house until spring. Had it once and once is enough.

Jxx

Respected Contributor

Rizzo, after chemo write and tell us if we can help in anyway. They are going to give you all of the medication you'll need and instructions. I would recommend that you eat small meals. Food is going to taste different. Soups, puddings, maybe a grilled cheese sandwich, eggs. Nothing too heavy. Your not going to want a steak dinner. Chicken and turkey are also good. It's bland so you'll be able to tolerate it. You have to keep up your nutrition.

Good luck!! WE'll be thinking of you.

Jxx

Super Contributor

What happened to my last few posts?

Regular Contributor
Happy New Year to All! Wishing each of you health & happiness for 2015.
Regular Contributor
Apologies for my absence. Recovery has been difficult and much longer than I expected. Surgical menopause in full swing. All of it I can deal with. What I can't deal with very well is that during surgery they tested the wrong ovary. There are no words to describe how I felt at finding that out. Pathology report shows there were cysts in both ovaries. They tested the left during surgery. When the surgeon woke me up immediately after to say no cancer, he was referring to the left side. Final pathology indicates a cyst on my right ovary but no specific testing of it. Inquired to surgeon and he said everything was fine, there was no cancer. Since there is nothing in the path report to suggest the issue I had this surgery for was specifically tested, I've had to go in his word. Given that he tested the wrong ovary during surgery I'm not confident in him anymore. My post-op appt is next week. The surgeon and his resident will need to walk me through exactly what happened here.
Honored Contributor

celtic---omg---I would be so angry and ready to kick some you-know-what!!! I'm sorry you are having a difficult recovery. Can only hope that will get better and better. As to the wrong ovary--I'd be on the phone making an appt with another dr for a second opinion. I would be very vigilant about this. Listen to the surgeon at this upcoming appt and then get all your paper work and go see someone else. I'd start complaining to someone about this horrible mistake. Makes my blood boil!!! Take someone with you too.

PAM

Regular Contributor
Thanks so much for the advice, Pam. My husband will be with me taking notes. I asked surgeon in 5 different ways what happened but he is just saying there was no cancer and nothing was missed. It doesn't answer my question and doesn't answer why the right ovary which still did have a lesion/cyst and which was cause for such concern for me to have such a radical surgery wasn't tested and reported on specifically. I am so mad, upset and completely side-swiped that I've had to consciously put it to oneside so I can recover from surgery. I hadn't thought of getting a 2nd opinion post-op. Guess my mistrust is high right now and I'd figure if a malpractice suit is in order they'd stick together and side with one of their own.
Respected Contributor

I don't believe this Celtic. With all of the safeguards before Surgery how could he screw this up. You can get your medical records to see if it was his mistake or the mistake of pathology. Or did the resident make the mistake. However they should have done the sme pathology on both ovaries.. However I would go to another GYN Dr. Don't get yourself too crazy over this right now. You need to recover and the stress is not good for you right now.

Can we all have a wonderful 2015. I think it's time that all of us had some good luck.

Jxx

Valued Contributor
Celtic, I can't believe this, so the right ovary wasn't tested for cancer??? How on earth did that happen? I would find out. Was your surgeon a GYN oncologist? Surely the pathologist looked at the right ovary, and apparently it looked normal . I just don't know how this could happen . I feel pretty sure that neither ovary had any cancer cells, however I understand you'd like to know for SURE. I'm sorry your recovery is taking so long. How many weeks has it been since your surgery ? Are you still weak? In pain? Has the incision healed properly? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions but it's just not normal to take this long to recover from your type of surgery. Take care Goldie