Contributor

Hello - I posted some time back about my sister in law having cancer. I have a question that I am sure the ladies on this topic can help me with

My sister in law is doing the same = all cancer is gone except a small spot on her lung. What I did not realize until recently is that her cancer will never be gone, she will need to take medicane for the rest of her life. But lately she has been a little down and scared of the cancer coming back. She tells me that she thinks of my husband Gary all the time, who died from cancer in 2007. A book was recommended to me to have her read called The Secert by Rhonda Byrne. But is reading the reviews I am not sure this is a good book for her.

So my question is can any one recommend a book that will help her with positive thoughts?

She is going to look into a support group at the Motif center in Tampa FL

Thank you for your help

Honored Contributor
On 2/26/2014 mm1206 said:
On 11/21/2013 mm1206 said:

Hello -

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">My sister in law recently had a seizure and when being treated at the ER they discovered she had brain cancer, lung cancer and a couple spots on your spine and pelvis. They are telling her it started in the lung and is the non smoking lung cancer. Last week they removed a tumor from her brain and now doing DNA testing to determine the type of cancer treatment. She knows she will have radiation on the brain for other lesions and then chemo. She is being treated at Moffit in Tampa FL. We have been told this is a great place. She is very positive about beating the brain and lung cancer. But is most concerned about the spots on the spine and pelvis. They have not used the word bone cancer, but not sure what else it could be. She is just starting testing and treatment will be determined when the DNA testing is back.

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">Question for anyone that has had bone cancer. Can you survive bone cancer??

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">As a family we are very scared, she is only 54 and never been sick in her life

Any information would be helpful

I wanted to give an update on my sister inlaw. She had radiation - full brain - today she had a follow up scan and all the cancer in the brain is gone. We are so happy. She is taking a chemo pill for the lung and spots near her spine. They will do a scan mid March to see how it is working. For today we are very happy - she is doing so well.

High 5 to you and your SIL!!! So happy that treatment is working. It's a long, hard road, these cancer zombies are a relentless bunch!! I must admit that I don't remember your previous post but still wish you and dear SIL all the best!!!

Respected Contributor

Bringing this up for Lannie who thought it was lost by the Q

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

Thank you Mama Mia! For a while I could only see one page and started to panic about our Cancer survivor thread. I had to restart my computer and then things looked back to normal.

How is everyone doing? My hair, well, mostly the back of it, is curly! It's still growing slowly but still growing, so that's good. I may need a haircut to shape it up a little, but hate the thought of doing that. Anyone had their hair highlighted after chemo and how long did you wait?

Jackie - are your walls still being painted???

Lannie

Respected Contributor

Been really busy, Lannie. Mother in law decided to go off of her rocker on Monday. She was admitted to the hospital with renal failure. Acute. She hasn't been eating as well as we thought she was. She was anemic and trying to bolt from the hospital. Cat scan of her head is negative and said she has dementia. Quickest onset I ever saw. She's seeing dead relatives cursing us all out. We only want her money. Anyway her lab numbers have improved but she's still off the wall. She's going to a rehab faciltiy because she can't stand up without falling.

Got a call that my surgeon won't be in on Monday because of impending snow. So it doesn't make much sense for me to have my sonogram if she isn't going to be there. I'm going to reschedule since she said she only wants to check the chip.

Fun time tomorrow. Mother in law is going to be transfered to a nice Catholic rehab center. She's going to be wild.

MM wonderful news about your sister in law.

Wish me luck with this crazy old woman.

Jxx

Respected Contributor

Lannie, I waited a good six months after it was grown in before I dyed it. I would say let there be a good 2 inches of hair growth before you touch it. Don't you just love the curls?? NOT. Try to blow dry it straight in the back.

Oh husband said he wouldn't paint the walls.

Jxx

Respected Contributor
Jackie, oh my gosh about your MIL. It must be difficult to deal with this impossible situation. I am sorry your husband has to see his Mom like this, that must be hard, wow. Wishing you well in trying to do what you can, I know you will be a great support for them and we will try to keep you sane here, so don't be a stranger-let us know how you are doing. By the way, what was your DH painting-thought he was painting walls?? Lannie
Contributor

Good luck with your MIL Jackie. Lannie - my hair is growing pretty fast, covers my ears now but it is grey and black - my hair used to be strawberry blonde... I'm going to stick with the grey I think but might color my hair in a few months.

Question for all you chemo survivors - did you have neuropathy in your feet and hands? Mine seem to be getting worse lately - doesn't seem to matter if I walk a lot of not. Any suggestions? Anyone try acupuncture? Awesome BF is willing to give foot rubs but they put me thru the roof with the pain... HELP!!!

Have a good week everyone!

UK

Respected Contributor

Husband is bonkers. He just wants to do the right thing. I said that's why I'm canceling the sonogram. I went through dementia with my mother so I'm used to the craziness that comes out of their mouths. Plus I had to speak to the dietician today and change the menu. They just gave her what they wanted to. I said the woman does not eat meat. She'll eat chicken or turkey. Her daughter was at the hospital today and was useless.

UK did you try tumeric??. Pam is a wealth of information on this. Goldie has been having a lot of success with acupuncture. When you get tired of the gray you'll dye your hair. You may decide that you like it. I felt like an old lady with gray hair. Nope, not for me.

Jxx

Respected Contributor
On 3/2/2014 ukseahawk said:

Good luck with your MIL Jackie. Lannie - my hair is growing pretty fast, covers my ears now but it is grey and black - my hair used to be strawberry blonde... I'm going to stick with the grey I think but might color my hair in a few months.

Question for all you chemo survivors - did you have neuropathy in your feet and hands? Mine seem to be getting worse lately - doesn't seem to matter if I walk a lot of not. Any suggestions? Anyone try acupuncture? Awesome BF is willing to give foot rubs but they put me thru the roof with the pain... HELP!!!

Have a good week everyone!

UK

Hi UK! Sounds like your hair is doing so well and really growing fast! I love the salt and pepper look. One of our nurses at work had her hair grow out that way and it is really pretty. She is at the point of thinking of getting a trim, but doesn't want to lose her curls. And she is keeping her hair it's natural color.

I didn't grow back gray, just dark blonde and curly in the back. It is about 2 1/2 inches, but kind of growing at different rates in different places. I do want to get it highlighted in a couple months. By the way Jackie, I LOVE my curls!! If I get them cut off and they don't grow back I will be angry about it and throw one of my hissy fits and whine for a while.

My onc dr had me take an extra B vit (plus my daily vit has B in it) complex during chemo and I still am taking it and didn't really have a problem with neuopathy. That's all I can say that may have helped, haven't tried any of the other things. But it wouldn't hurt to try the Vit B.

Take care and let us know how you are doing - great to hear from you!

Lannie