Occasional Contributor
On 1/7/2014 akaGoldie said: Sheldo, so good to hear from you friend, I've been thinking about you, and wondering how bad your weather might be. It's been bitterly cold here too. Down in the single digits at night. But today it made it up into the forties! Which feels like a heat wave . Hope everyone else is doing ok. I've been worrying about LV , if you're reading please post and let me know how you are. I know you're scheduled for surgery very soon. Please please post. I'm concerned for you. Goldie

Hi Goldie:

How you been? I been snowed in for a couple of days trying to keep warm. It's been really cold here with windshield -45. Today we finally hit single digit. A lot of people lost power during this storm too, luckily I wasn't one of them. I am due for surgery next week so a little nervous. I still don't know if they will want me to have an epidural during the surgery or just an IV. And if they will use staples or not, I know last time it was pretty painful to get those out. I don't know if I am ready for surgery, just the though of going through it again just scares me. Last time I had a really hard time drinking Miralax the day before surgery it was horrible, I was even throwing up trying to drink it all. It took me all night past midnight to get it all down. Any pointers to help me get this stuff down without getting sick? I hope your doing well and keeping warm.

Contributor
On 1/7/2014 LVgirl said:
On 1/7/2014 akaGoldie said: Sheldo, so good to hear from you friend, I've been thinking about you, and wondering how bad your weather might be. It's been bitterly cold here too. Down in the single digits at night. But today it made it up into the forties! Which feels like a heat wave . Hope everyone else is doing ok. I've been worrying about LV , if you're reading please post and let me know how you are. I know you're scheduled for surgery very soon. Please please post. I'm concerned for you. Goldie

Hi Goldie:

How you been? I been snowed in for a couple of days trying to keep warm. It's been really cold here with windshield -45. Today we finally hit single digit. A lot of people lost power during this storm too, luckily I wasn't one of them. I am due for surgery nRext week so a little nervous. I still don't know if they will want me to have an epidural during the surgery or just an IV. And if they will use staples or not, I know last time it was pretty painful to get those out. I don't know if I am ready for surgery, just the though of going through it again just scares me. Last time I had a really hard time drinking Miralax the day before surgery it was horrible, I was even throwing up trying to drink it all. It took me all night past midnight to get it all down. Any pointers to help me get this stuff down without getting sick? I hope your doing well and keeping warm.

Hi LV, I had to drink 12 eight ounce glasses of miralax last yr when I had my first colonoscopy. I did ok up until the last 2 & I had such a hard time getting them down. It took 2 hrs but I finally drank it. I mixed it in white grape juice which was fairly light but my stomach was so full of all that liquid. I'd say go slow & steady & drink all or as much as you can. I forced myself to do it because I didn't want the dr to tell me I didn't prep sufficiently & have to redo it. I hope everything goes well for you. And just a shout out to all my friends here. I think of you often & hope you're all surviving this brutal winter. I'm in upstate NY & schools were closed today. Had a high of 3 degrees with -30 wind chills. JBin, thinking of you especially as we started our journeys within days of each other. Hugs to all of you, Kindle
Respected Contributor

Sheldo, I had a bagel in your honor tonight. Whole wheat of course. Can't tell the difference.

Isn't preparing for painting fun?? NOT. However you mind as well get it over with. We have to paint the bedroom and living room.

Actually thinking of going out tomorrow. It's blistering cold here. We'll all survive it. We do every year. Just a pain in the neck.

Jxx

Valued Contributor
LV, thanks for posting, I'm sorry your weather is so cold , but glad you didn't lose power. What day next week are you scheduled for surgery? I was thinking the 14th or 15th but my memory isn't so great. I'm sorry I don't have any tips on getting the miralax to stay down. I just know it's so very important to have your bowel as clean as a whistle. Ask the surgeon, or better, his nurse if she knows any tricks to make the miralax tolerable. When do you see the surgeon before surgery, to find out if he will use staples and what anesthetic they'll use. Keep us posted. You'll do fine. And it will be great to have that remnant OUT! Goldie
Respected Contributor

When I prepped for my colonoscopy, after each drink, I rinsed my mouth with diluted mouthwash. My cousin suggested this to me, and it really helped. I still had to get the mixture down, but at least it was more tolerable for me.

Respected Contributor
On 1/8/2014 Lyn08 said:

When I prepped for my colonoscopy, after each drink, I rinsed my mouth with diluted mouthwash. My cousin suggested this to me, and it really helped. I still had to get the mixture down, but at least it was more tolerable for me.

I took a zantac before I drank the stuff. Kept it down. My friend the GI Dr said did you have any trouble with the prep?? I said no. Took a zantac and lived on Italian ices. He said I'm putting that down in my prep sheet. He said I never thought of Italian ices. I said you wouldn't. I had to chase you around the ER to do your work. You were a social butterfly.

Respected Contributor

Just thought I'd share this regarding turmeric. I have been looking for healthy recipes (because my blood glucose was somewhat elevated when I had my physical in November). I found a recipe on-line for wild rice soup, that had powdered turmeric in the ingredient list. I spilled some of the turmeric on my counter, and wiped it up with a wet dish cloth. Now part of my dish cloth has turned orange! Does it mean that when I take the turmeric pills, my skin will also turn orange, ha?

Occasional Contributor
On 1/8/2014 akaGoldie said: LV, thanks for posting, I'm sorry your weather is so cold , but glad you didn't lose power. What day next week are you scheduled for surgery? I was thinking the 14th or 15th but my memory isn't so great. I'm sorry I don't have any tips on getting the miralax to stay down. I just know it's so very important to have your bowel as clean as a whistle. Ask the surgeon, or better, his nurse if she knows any tricks to make the miralax tolerable. When do you see the surgeon before surgery, to find out if he will use staples and what anesthetic they'll use. Keep us posted. You'll do fine. And it will be great to have that remnant OUT! Goldie

Hi Goldie:

I am scheduled for surgery on the 15th. Thanks for all of your suggestions on how to keep the Miralax down. I am really sensitive when it comes to any medication. Its going to be a tough day for me I know that for sure. I talked to a nurse today she told me that the doctor actually has a another surgery before mine and the nurse said that he wasn't on planing to talk to me before hand but I asked her to see if he could stop by and talk to me before I go in for the surgery. I am really nervous and scared, especially when they put me to sleep {#emotions_dlg.sad} I just hope for the best and hopefully I will end up with some good news this time.

Respected Contributor

LV you'll probably be visited by one of the residents before surgery if your Dr can't see you. Someone will talk to you and then you can voice your concerns. I walked into surgery and said, I'm tired, I'm hungry and thirsty so put me out. It will be the best sleep you've ever had. Then someone will be screaming in your ear to wake up when it's over. You'll do fine.

Jxx

Respected Contributor

Lannie, so sweet of you to acknowledge my message. I meant every word I wrote about the ladies on this thread.

Kindle, thanks for saying hi. I think of you often since we really did share a very similar journey a year ago. Thankfully we have come a long way since then. You have such a beautiful spirit and are such a strong woman. I admire you so much for dealing with all you have going on in your life on a daily basis in addition to your health issues.

LV, thinking of you and hoping that your surgery goes well on the 15th. There was an article in the Health section of the San Francisco Chronicle a week or two ago about the benefits of epidural anethestic versus general anesthesia. Thought you might be interested in reading it. I'm sure you can find it on the S.F. Chronicle website.

I have my first bilateral mammogram since surgery scheduled for the 14th. Glad many of you ladies have written that you have been nervous before yours. Makes me feel better about being so nervous about going.

Glad to know that it has gotten warmer in the Eastern part of the U.S. for those of you who live there. Take good care and be safe.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama