Valued Contributor

Re: Canadian Pharmacy Recommendations

I just recently went to British Columbia and bought my insulin from a Walmart pharmacy. I called in advance and the lady I spoke with set aside 3 boxes as I was coming up in a week. I am lucky that I have relatives in B.C. I rode up with them and they brought me home to Wash. state. In BC they sell my insulin, the humalog quik pen over the counter with no prescription necessary. 2 boxes of 10 pens total cost 120 canadian so when i gave US money it saved a lot. Here, without ins. the same amt. same company(Lily) is over  $1000. No problem bringing them back to US. I do have what I call old peoples ins. but to keep from hitting the gap or donut hole as some call it I chose to buy in Canada. I have called other pharmacies on the east coast that require a prescription and my doc will fax it up. Still cheaper than here. In the gap with the deductible I would pay almost $400. They told me a lot of people are buying in Canada. Some from my water class go to MExico twice a year and have had no problem with the meds they get. BC will not accept prescriptions from the US. Other provencises do so you have to find the right one. Good thing they sell mine over the counter. Sad that one has to go out of country to buy meds. I fear our gov. will try to stop that too. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

• @Annabellethecat66 I think you can feel safe using the Canadian pharmacies.They are as good or better than those here.I find the pharmacists at the stores I have used in Canada to be highly trained and very helpful.We lived in Canada for forty five years and never a problem or error at the prescription counter.We used Shoppers Drugmart.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I took Premarin for about 20 years after a hysterectomy  but voluntarily stopped it the day the news came out about it contributing to breast cancer.  I didn't have one single symptom, no hot flashes, mood swings, nothing.  So I figured I never really needed it anyway and quitting was a good thing.

You use a Canadian pharmacy just as you would a US mail order pharmacy.  I'd call and set up an account, then mail or fax your script.  They'll suggest the best way.  First, find your drug and compare prices as they vary a lot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so glad I saw this.  Never considered using a Canadian pharmacy for my med.  Somehow thought it was "illegal."

My insurance company used to cover vagifem and stopped doing so.  It's quite expensive.  I don't mind paying my share, but if I can get it elsewhere for less, I'd like to try.

I have a current perscription at my local Rite Aid.  I'm wondering if they will transfer it to the Canadian pharmacy or if I'll have to get a new one.

I'm going to ask.

Honored Contributor

Many people can not afford to buy their medications.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Canada pharmacy.com is where my DH gets his diabetes meds. After he has been very well controlled on this med for 16 years all of a sudden the insurance co decided to no longer allow it, so he buys it from Canada pharmacy.com out of pocket for $90 for a 90 day supply instead of $440/month  at Walgreens.

I'm curious.  Does the pharmacy you buy from fill prescriptions written by US doctors?  Do you fax the prescription to them or does the doctor call it in?