Honored Contributor

Re: Can you put almond butter in a smoothie?

@Grouchomarx Be sure to report back and let us know what all you put in it and how very delicious it was! Because I know you will make an incredible smoothie, no matter what you decide! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

I make a smoothie with peanut butter AND coconut milk.  I don't even use a fancy dancy blender, just an osterizer and it blends up perfectly.

I use smooth peanut butter that is made at my food co-op that contains only peanuts,no salt or oil added.  They do the same with almonds.

Peanut butter, coconut milk, hemp seed, pure cocoa powder, pure vanilla extract, a little stevia, and a few ice cubes.  It;'s delish!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  Sounds great! I think I will try your recipe. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

You can.

But why?

I wanted to get a little extra fat into the protein shake I'm going to make tomorrow for breakfast.  I wanted healthy fat, low carb, for more satisfaction so I won't get hungry too soon.  I'm open to other ideas.  Everyone says use coconut milk but I'm not gonna open a whole can just for a little bit.  

Reason I mentioned ‘why’....nut butters are so processed.

Chia seed/flax seed....even avocado would be a 1000x better than 

nut butters...even the powdered ones.  

If one is reading this & has weight to lose, it’s not a good idea to 

add large amounts of fat....just not healthy.

And nuts are high in Omega 6...which we don’t need as much

as Omega 3 (flax.chia).

One of supermarkets will grind and make the nut butter for you,  No salt, no sugar or oils.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

You can.

But why?

I wanted to get a little extra fat into the protein shake I'm going to make tomorrow for breakfast.  I wanted healthy fat, low carb, for more satisfaction so I won't get hungry too soon.  I'm open to other ideas.  Everyone says use coconut milk but I'm not gonna open a whole can just for a little bit.  

Reason I mentioned ‘why’....nut butters are so processed.

Chia seed/flax seed....even avocado would be a 1000x better than 

nut butters...even the powdered ones.  

If one is reading this & has weight to lose, it’s not a good idea to 

add large amounts of fat....just not healthy.

And nuts are high in Omega 6...which we don’t need as much

as Omega 3 (flax.chia).

One of supermarkets will grind and make the nut butter for you,  No salt, no sugar or oils.

Processed meaning....

1 tablespoon of almond butter has the same amount of nutrition

as fifteen individual almonds. Most people could eat a Tablespoon

of nut butter without remembering, but 15 almonds could be eating 

thoroughout the morning/day.  But then...smoothies are so processed

anyway...really a better bad. Personally I would rather enjoy 

each of those ingredients by themselves...it’s more satiating. 

Respected Contributor

Well I was too lazy to go to the store last night so no almond butter.  I received my Consult Beaute Beauty shake powder in the mail yesterday and I made the strawberry one this morning with two scoops of the powder, three fresh strawberries, one tbsp chia seeds, one tbsp heavy cream.  Whizzed it in the Nutribullet and it was very tasty and I have not an ounce of hunger at all so far.  I am going to order freshly ground almond butter for delivery this weekend and will try that too.  I would probably not even use a full tbsp of that. Almonds contain healthy fat so I'm not concerned about it affecting my health.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  Thanks for the update. The Nutribullet is great for things you don't need to feed thru while it is mixing, right? I'm going to try @QueenDanceALot recipe one of these days. Sounds great.

But I do love almond butter and almond milk. Got to get the Vitamix out. ha!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

Thanks for the smoothie update.  Yes, if peanut butter works than nut butters will work in a good blender too.  You shakes sounds delish and I am not at all surprised that you stayed full for hours and hours.  All that protein!  And no sugar.  That's why all the weightloss programs and health maintence programs included protein shakes now.  

Honored Contributor

We almost always put some ground light colored flax seeds and a little flax oil in any smoothie we make.  It really does wonders for it and is good for you.

We also often use a little peanut butter or almond butter in a smoothie.  And yogurt--plain Wallaby Geek style is our favorite.  Fresh fruit, greens, a carrot, whatever you have! Maybe a teaspoon or two of honey if there are no sweet things in it. 

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We almost always put some ground light colored flax seeds and a little flax oil in any smoothie we make.  It really does wonders for it and is good for you.

We also often use a little peanut butter or almond butter in a smoothie.  And yogurt--plain Wallaby Geek style is our favorite.  Fresh fruit, greens, a carrot, whatever you have! Maybe a teaspoon or two of honey if there are no sweet things in it. 

That sounds good @Sooner.