Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't see a doctor anymore ?

Seems more and more companies are allowing nurse practitioner to do the work of physicians.  In my case I am allowed to see both, but honestly I Iike the nurse practitioners better.  They seem to spend more time and are more likely to spend time with me.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQThanks for that info.  Now I have to go back and look at a bill more closely because I know my co-pay is the same no matter which I see but I haven't looked at the actual compensation to the office.

I'm not even sure just how I feel about the issue, but that's a whole other issue that involves the whole delivery structure for medical care.

Super Contributor

I just do not understand why you would not have a PA or NP write a prescription for your BP meds.  Why does it matter that you see the PCP for something like this.  As for visiting a PA or NP over a PCP, I can tell you they take blood pressures more often than a PCP.  I think something is missing in this story.

Honored Contributor

Just checked our EOB and it says PA. We do not have Medicare Advantage. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I've heard, doctors can have some big issues (negative) if they prescribe medication without having seen a patient for a certain length of time. I go every 6 months for a BP checkup. As for PA's, I've seen one a couple of times for routine issues and have never had a problem - their training is much more than an RN, and they can write prescriptions. I'd see whoever can see me first just to get that prescription for your BP medication. You can always make an appointment to also see your PCP whenever they can get you in. JMO.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not always fair to blame the patient for not arranging prescription refills in time to get when they are needed.

Has anyone ever had a very frustrated pharmacist call to alert you that he/she cannot--after repeated tries--get in touch with the prescribing medical office to get the prescription renewed? 

It happens in our house, with my DH. 

Overall, we  have pretty good medical care in our area, maybe not as good as it was in our old location outside of Wash DC, but still pretty good or at least "as good as it gets" around here. 

Sometimes, it's not good enough.

I can also attest to my one encounter with a PA as having been a waste of time, a non-effective prescription and no cure, requiring further treatment later.

When I call a doctor's office, I expect to see a doctor, not a lesser-trained assistant.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

It's not always fair to blame the patient for not arranging prescription refills in time to get when they are needed.

Has anyone ever had a very frustrated pharmacist call to alert you that he/she cannot--after repeated tries--get in touch with the prescribing medical office to get the prescription renewed? 

It happens in our house, with my DH. 

Overall, we  have pretty good medical care in our area, maybe not as good as it was in our old location outside of Wash DC, but still pretty good or at least "as good as it gets" around here. 

Sometimes, it's not good enough.

I can also attest to my one encounter with a PA as having been a waste of time, a non-effective prescription and no cure, requiring further treatment later.

When I call a doctor's office, I expect to see a doctor, not a lesser-trained assistant.

The OP stated in her original post the dr. wouldn't give her a new script until she scheduled an appointment and went into to see them.  So yes, she's to blame for not paying better attention to the number of refills she had left or the number of pills she had left.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops  My insurance doesn't have any co-pays for anything.

However, it has always been my understanding that co-pays are the same for all office visits. It doesn't matter what type of medical professional the patient is seeing. It is for the VISIT. Don't be so hung up on the dollar amount . . . the medical information/visit is why you are going!

You chose your insurance. Use it and stop complaining about the co-pay. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLadyActually I wasn't in any way complaining about the co-pay. I never do, but we won't go into that.

I know the medical offices don't set those co-pays - my insurance does.

Note, please, that what I said was that I have no idea what the OFFICE billed for the visit -  I also have no control over that and often don't even mentally catalog what they bill - just what I have to pay. 

And while I'd be hard put to remember the numbers, I do often look at the difference between what they bill and what Medicare and my insurance agree to pay.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshopsMy apologies! I responded to the wrong person. Someone else thought the PA's were charged differently than the PCP's on the co-pays.  Now I cannot find who posted that comment. I'm so sorry for the confusion. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.