Honored Contributor

Re: Can't see a doctor anymore ?

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have been without my BP meds for four days because my PCP's office won't call the pharmacy and okay the refill. I take my BP a daily and so far, so good, but it is slightly elevated...bottom line, I should not have to go four days without it. I finally got someone at the doctors office to answer the phone and was told they couldn't refill until I scheduled an appt and came in. I said fine....then was told I could only see a nurse practicioner. I told them I would prefer to see the Dr. (Who has been my PCP for ten years). Was told my Medicare advantage plan would no longer cover office visits with a physician only with a nurse practicioner or a PA if it was a serious illness.  I am sure the copay will be the same. Can a nurse practicioner prescribe medication? How do I get to see my doctor? I am appalled!

@lovesrecess  Why are you waiting until the last minute to refill your meds?

I don't get your issue-I no longer can get my refills sent in over the phone as in days past.  Once I use up my refills I have to see my PCP for a scrip renewal.  Every three months.

And yes, a PA can prescribe your meds.  I think you misunderstood what you were told by your Advantage Plan.

Why are you appalled??  You waited until the last minute.  Maybe your doctor is booked to the hilt and a PA is the only person who can "squeeze" you in.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess   Yes.  Nurse Practioners are quafied to fill and make prescriptions. 

My husband sees one every year for his checkup.. She actually saved his life  this past year  by finding something on his checkup that THE REGULAR DOCTOR NEVER CHECKED FOR  and it was going on for years.......  We had it taken care of with surgery..

Now I am glad he sees a nurse Practioner rather than   so called MD that is too busy to do a full exam and catch things they should. 

Honored Contributor

I actually prefer to see the NP rather than my family dr. When he is on vacation I get to see the NP and like her much better.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@lovesrecess...................yes they can prescribe meds.  Please see the PA  ASAP.  This is not unusual in todays medical field.  If you have to go to an ER and tell them you are out of BP meds and have been for several days, tell them you are having chest pains (todays world causes us to have to be less than truthful) and they will check you out and most likely give you an Rx with instructions to follow up with your docs office.

@Imaoldhippie  I don't ever recommend "less than truthful". Nor do I think it says much about your values. Please don't encourage other to become dishonest with anyone, ever!

Perhaps it's people who behave with dishonest behaviors who have given you the idea "today's world causes us to have to be less than truthful." Not so. Honesty always pays in the long run. Your reputation follows you. In this world of computer programs, you don't want something like a "less than honest" comment made to an ER Room on your records, which are shared with medical professionals, insurance companies and hospitals.  

Best to be above suspection in all aspects of your life. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

No wonder our ER's are packed with long waiting times.  Telling someone to go to an ER and lie about their condition is appalling. That was a dumb suggestion. If this person cannot keep track of her own medications, why should ER's suffer for her stubbornness and waiting till the last minute?  Anyone that has HBP and goes for four days without their medication has something Else wrong with them besides high blood pressure.  No wonder our healthcare system is in such a mess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer seeing a nurse practitioner or a PA. They seem to have better bedside manners. Here they can do most everything a Dr. can do, besides surgery. It's much faster to get an appointment with them also. They make in the 6 figure range, so they know  a lot.

@lovesrecess

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have been without my BP meds for four days because my PCP's office won't call the pharmacy and okay the refill. I take my BP a daily and so far, so good, but it is slightly elevated...bottom line, I should not have to go four days without it. I finally got someone at the doctors office to answer the phone and was told they couldn't refill until I scheduled an appt and came in. I said fine....then was told I could only see a nurse practicioner. I told them I would prefer to see the Dr. (Who has been my PCP for ten years). Was told my Medicare advantage plan would no longer cover office visits with a physician only with a nurse practicioner or a PA if it was a serious illness.  I am sure the copay will be the same. Can a nurse practicioner prescribe medication? How do I get to see my doctor? I am appalled!

I'm apalled that you wait until the last minute to see about a refill on a script.  However old you are, you ought to know better especially with blood pressure medication and how dangerous it can be to go without it.  And I'm also apalled with the person who told you to go to an ER and lie.  Yeah, you'll be seen right away and you'll also get a battery of tests that are going to run one heck of a lot of money.  Good grief, what is wrong with people?

Honored Contributor

I too prefer the NP over the Dr.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@lovesrecess...................yes they can prescribe meds.  Please see the PA  ASAP.  This is not unusual in todays medical field.  If you have to go to an ER and tell them you are out of BP meds and have been for several days, tell them you are having chest pains (todays world causes us to have to be less than truthful) and they will check you out and most likely give you an Rx with instructions to follow up with your docs office.

I most definitely would not recommend doing this.  For one thing, it's dishonest.  And lying about your health is not a good idea, for several reasons.  But also, if she presents with chest pains, she'll likely be put through a whole battery of tests that take a long time, are potentially anxiety-inducing, and may or may not be fully covered by her insurance.  She could easily end up spending the weekend in the ER until they clear her.  That would be not only unpleasant for her, but it would take up the time and efforts of over-worked and busy medical personnel who should be taking care of patients who actually DO have chest pains and serious issues.  

A woman of Medicare age who shows up at an ER complaining of chest pains and shares her history of high blood pressure is not going to be simply handed a prescription and sent on her way.  That's not the way it works.  Her complaint of chest pains will be taken very seriously, and her evaluation will be not only time-consuming, but possibly also expensive.

What you're suggesting is an overly-complicated (not to mention dishonest) solution to a simple problem.  All she has to do is see the NP, and her prescription will be filled, so that's what she should do.  She also should call her insurance company to straighten out the confusion.  And it would be good to be more mindful of when refills are due and how often she needs to be seen by her doctor's office.  Her lack of planning should not clog up busy emergency rooms!

(I'm not sure what you mean about today's world creating a need for people to be untruthful.  I've seen no evidence of that.  Dishonesty is not something I so easily excuse.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops  The P A works under the doctors supervision.The doctor is supposed to bill at a lower rate for the P A.’s Services. This is according to my friend’s daughter who’s a  P A . However, it’s my understanding that most of them don’t.The practices I’ve been to don’t.