Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't see a doctor anymore ?

@Evie2004 wrote:

The Little Clinic (in our Kroger store) costs the same as a visit with our PCP, $5.00, with our advantage plan..i’m sure the NP there would refill your BP med immediately..

Maybe sign up for auto refill with your pharmacy, so you don’t run out again.

Assuming you have something similar to our Little Clinic..

Auto-refill doesn't go on indefinitely, only for the amount of renewals authorized by a doctor.  The issue was that her doctor didn't want to renew until she was seen in his office so her BP could be taken, he could be sure she's not having any side effects, etc. He might want to have her continue on the same medication, prescribe something different, or stop medication altogether.  Doctors have a big responsibility when they order meds, so most of them don't take it lightly.

Valued Contributor

Yes , The nurse practitioner can prescribe the medicine if you have been there recently . Next time ask the pharmacist to contact your doctor for you , Also ask him if he can give you a few pills to tide you over until the prescription is refilled , Sometimes they will do this , You are not supposed to stop blood pressure medication suddenly and they should have given you enough pills until your doctors appointment. 

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update: I did go to the appointment and saw the Nurse Practicioner....she has been with the practice for about a year but I had never been seen by her. There are no P A in the practice, just five doctors and the FNP. The Nurse Practicioner was wonderful and told me she can write prescriptions for anything except controlled substances.....she said she can also take over my medical care if I prefer....I got my meds refilled and will call my insurance to clarify the situation. Thanks for everyone's feedback. BTW, my BP was 117/75....not bad!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't have any of the little clinics around here; we had several and they all closed....maybe poor management.
My SIL got sick while out of town on business trip and went to a Minute Clinic....he said it was right across from his hotel and was seen by a retired dr who was great. He tested positive for the flu. 

Honored Contributor

I never expected such an insulting, hateful response from anyone on here. I work with my pharmacy regarding medications and am an intelligent adult so please do not post anything if it cannot be polite or constructive. You know absolutely nothing about my me, my health issues, my doctor, or my pharmacy.
Honored Contributor

I appreciate your feedback on what they can do. I am familiar with what a PA can do but haven't seen a NP before.
Honored Contributor

You know nothing about my meds or my dr or my pharmacy.....if you read my postvyou would see mybwauestion was if a NP could write or renew prescriptions.
Honored Contributor

I fully expect to get banned now due to the hateful responses to my innocent post. I insulted or defamed no one. Never expected to be insulted or blamed for not being able to get a refill! These forums are not like they used to be. I will certainly stay out of this one in the future...may not have a choice.
Honored Contributor

I do the same; bloodwork regularly and seen by on a dr. regular basis. I have a bp monitor that I use daily and it sends the reading to my dr electronically.
Honored Contributor

Amazing how I never said my medicine bottle said zero refills. It said there was 1 more refill and that was the problem....the Dr office wasn't responding to the pharmacist. Am tired of insults from other posters. Am outta here.