Honored Contributor

Re: Can't see a doctor anymore ?

@novamc1 wrote:

It's not always fair to blame the patient for not arranging prescription refills in time to get when they are needed.

Has anyone ever had a very frustrated pharmacist call to alert you that he/she cannot--after repeated tries--get in touch with the prescribing medical office to get the prescription renewed

It happens in our house, with my DH. 

Overall, we  have pretty good medical care in our area, maybe not as good as it was in our old location outside of Wash DC, but still pretty good or at least "as good as it gets" around here. 

Sometimes, it's not good enough.

I can also attest to my one encounter with a PA as having been a waste of time, a non-effective prescription and no cure, requiring further treatment later.

When I call a doctor's office, I expect to see a doctor, not a lesser-trained assistant.

@novamc1  The OP is very much indeed at fault for not getting her prescription refilled sooner.  Who else should be keeping tabs on her medications?  There's a very big difference between REFILLING and RENEWING a prescription.  Once all the approved refills run out it usually means it's time for an appointment again before renewing the prescription.  When I get my new prescription for my HBP meds (a diuretic and potassium), my NP allows for "X" amount of refills.  It's recorded by the pharmacy at Walgreens and they call my like clockwork, to let me know they're ready for pickup.  When I pick them up, I can see how many refills are left printed onthe label.  It all works perfectly and then on the last refill I know I have to call the office to see if the NP will approve more refills and if not, I schedule my appointment to see her.  It's all rather simple, IMO.  No reason to suddenly be without my medication.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have been without my BP meds for four days because my PCP's office won't call the pharmacy and okay the refill. I take my BP a daily and so far, so good, but it is slightly elevated...bottom line, I should not have to go four days without it. I finally got someone at the doctors office to answer the phone and was told they couldn't refill until I scheduled an appt and came in. I said fine....then was told I could only see a nurse practicioner. I told them I would prefer to see the Dr. (Who has been my PCP for ten years). Was told my Medicare advantage plan would no longer cover office visits with a physician only with a nurse practicioner or a PA if it was a serious illness.  I am sure the copay will be the same. Can a nurse practicioner prescribe medication? How do I get to see my doctor? I am appalled!

Also, depending on the meds (lke an ace inhibitor) it can be dangerous to suddenly stop.  I'm afraid I'd have to get nasty with the "crew" there.... !!   Or get an appt with someone else quickly or even go to a clinic and explain it to tthem....  good grief, I'd be appalled as well....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

my doctor office will no longer fill any scripts either. I have to call my pharmacy to have them call the doctors (send a certified email request) asking to refill all scripts. 

Getting harder and harder to fill scripts. I too am getting low on BP meds, nothing can be filled till 19th september, then sent in the mail which will take another week, so will be totally out by then but that is only way I can get my meds now a day is mail order pharmacy.  

Honored Contributor

I know what I forgot to add. Am NOT a fan of PA’s or NP’s. 

The last time I saw them, they wanted me to go all my medication which the doctor put me on many years ago and doctor does monitor me ( I see doctor every 4-5 months).

they told me it would save me cost of scripts.  

Also had one PA do surgery on me , I didn’t know anything about this , till i got a letter from medicare advising me about the doctor office requesting payment to the PA for the surgery. Medicare advised them I hadn’t authorized this PA to do the surgery. I was really upset about finding out the the doctor gave this PA the order to do my surgery. The surgery was a total failure, had to find another doctor to correct the mistake that this PA made.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That doesn't sound right, there's some confusion somewhere because no one knows if they have something serious until AFTER they have seen the doctor and who decides what is serious?  But, you need your medication now.  Yes, a nurse practioner can prescribe meds.  Stop being silly and make the appointment so you can get your medication.  Once you have that, on your way out, stop and make an appointment with your doctor.  Don't be surprised if you have to wait quite a while for that a appointment.  I had my yearly physical two weeks ago, I would have preferred to see my physician but I didn't want to wait until....December.  I called in July, so I would have had to wait 5 months for  a physical with my doctor.  I chose to wait just one month for the nurse practioner.  If the nurse practioner had seen  problem, then I could have had a quick appointment with my doctor.  That's just how it works today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923 wrote:

my doctor office will no longer fill any scripts either. I have to call my pharmacy to have them call the doctors (send a certified email request) asking to refill all scripts. 

Getting harder and harder to fill scripts. I too am getting low on BP meds, nothing can be filled till 19th september, then sent in the mail which will take another week, so will be totally out by then but that is only way I can get my meds now a day is mail order pharmacy.  

This doesn't make any sense . Of course the doctor's office doesn't fill any scripts - they aren't a drug store. 

My doctor's office gives me a Rx for a 6 month supply of drugs when  I go to the doctor and I make my next appt. to get my new Rx before that runs out when I'm leaving the doctor's office.  As long as I keep my scheduled appts I have no problem running out of meds.

Honored Contributor

@151949

My dermatologist cancelled my medicare advantage insurance mid year!  Yup, I am changing my insurance come this october.  I thought an advantage would be better, but for me it is not.  More Drs are canceling my insurance, they gave me pre warning. 

that said, I would call the DrS office again, after you talk to your insurance.  Yes, if you have not been in for a bit, they do need to see you.  Bit, mecication such as blood pressure med, is vital.  Its like cutting off insulin.  Usually, you make the appt, then they give you like a 10 day supply is they do not see you in a day or two.

i wouldnt be too concerned about seeing a nurse practitioner or such if ot os for a BP check.  If it is for a medical check I might want a Doctor.  I have see practitioners and nurses at emergency clinics, and they have done a fine job, if they are seasoned.  In fact better than Dr. All but once I came away feeling good about the visit.  That one time I had bad experience I made appt with my regular dr as soon as monday came.  I felt like they were very inexperienced.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLadyThanks for that response.  I couldn't figure out what I might written!

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 that doesn't sound right...I would ask the pharmacist about the refill date and let them know you will run out.  Even mail order prescription places have a phone number you can call to speak to the pharmacist right?  I don't use mail order myself.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

It's not always fair to blame the patient for not arranging prescription refills in time to get when they are needed.

Has anyone ever had a very frustrated pharmacist call to alert you that he/she cannot--after repeated tries--get in touch with the prescribing medical office to get the prescription renewed

It happens in our house, with my DH. 

Overall, we  have pretty good medical care in our area, maybe not as good as it was in our old location outside of Wash DC, but still pretty good or at least "as good as it gets" around here. 

Sometimes, it's not good enough.

I can also attest to my one encounter with a PA as having been a waste of time, a non-effective prescription and no cure, requiring further treatment later.

When I call a doctor's office, I expect to see a doctor, not a lesser-trained assistant.

@novamc1  The OP is very much indeed at fault for not getting her prescription refilled sooner.  Who else should be keeping tabs on her medications?  There's a very big difference between REFILLING and RENEWING a prescription.  Once all the approved refills run out it usually means it's time for an appointment again before renewing the prescription.  When I get my new prescription for my HBP meds (a diuretic and potassium), my NP allows for "X" amount of refills.  It's recorded by the pharmacy at Walgreens and they call my like clockwork, to let me know they're ready for pickup.  When I pick them up, I can see how many refills are left printed onthe label.  It all works perfectly and then on the last refill I know I have to call the office to see if the NP will approve more refills and if not, I schedule my appointment to see her.  It's all rather simple, IMO.  No reason to suddenly be without my medication.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I agree 100%.  Our pharmacy does the same thing-calls until there are no more refills left.  Then it is up to ME to call my doctor to make that appt. for a renewal, which is done when I pick up that last refill.  Same with DH.

I've only heard of a pharmacy asking a patient about a renewal when the patient has swtiched to another pharmacy-the old pharmacy is looking for the renewal but not because they need to-it's a $$ thing.

Plus many of the changes as to how you obtain your scripts has changed; as I mentioned earlier I used to call the doctor's office for a renewal and it would be done over the phone.  Now requirements have the patient physically seeing the doctor to obtain a renewal.  Especiall for opioids which are monthly.

All this angst because an NP will renew the script.  Better to go off the meds and suffer medical consequences than just go in to get the freaking script for one's own health.

SMH

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh