Honored Contributor

Re: Can coffee help you live longer?

I also saw this new research just yesterday and good, bad or indifferent, I've been a moderate coffee drinker since I was about 20.  I love it, have roughly 2 cups per morning but some mornings (usually out with friends) will indulge in more.  

I remember the studies regarding how bad it was for you and I continued drinking it.... remember that research suggested switching to de-caff and did that for awhile and blech, not the same so switched back and kept drinking it.... over the years, the studies have swung far to each side, and I continued to drink it....

I honestly think moderation is the key, and of course if a person has issues that would make caffeine something to avoid, it should be avoided.  But for the rest of us I really don't think it's a problem.

AND if it's good for us as well.... well, I raise my mug to it!!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those that have problems with acid reflux, cold brew coffee is less acidic and seems to be okay. I just started drinking cold brew because it does not impact my blood sugar control. I find I do not need to add cream or sweetener as it tastes sweet and chocolaty all on its own. I will be making my own when I get my Amazon shipment on Thursday. There is a great thread on FUdiabetes (means For Unlimited) site that explains all of this for those with diabetes and want to drink coffee.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Valued Contributor

@alicedee  Smiley LOL  Me too!

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I'm sure it will help me live longer.  It is in it's own food category, as is peanut butter and chocolate.  Ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11  Twins!  I have peppermint as my favorite too.  Although I recently branched out into Oolong and Irish breakfast which are also good.  And the vanilla chamomile teas at night are a staple in my house.  I guess I may not live as long as coffee people according to this but I like to mix it up.  Never did acquire a taste for the black stuff.      

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14: Mmmm...that vanilla chamomile sounds good, esp. at night. It's fun to try new flavors!!

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11  Highly recommend Sleepytime Vanilla and I just found a honey vanilla camomile from Twinings both in my local grocer.  Thumbs up on both if you're looking.

Honored Contributor

Interesting regarding coffee/caffeine and a spike about an hour after drinking coffee (for diabetics).  I've never experienced that (good! cause I've given up enough!... ) Woman Frustrated 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Coffee makes me have to go to the ER as I am allergic to caffienne----what a drag and I live in Seattle !!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14: Always open to tea recommendations. & both brands are available at my local grocery store, so, THANKS!