Honored Contributor

Can coffee help you live longer?

[ Edited ]

You may think of coffee as just a part of your morning routine. But it may be part of a longer, healthier life. A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine found that among older adults, those who drank coffee (caffeinated or decaf) had a lower risk of dying from diabetes, heart disease, respiratory disease, and other medical complications than non-coffee drinkers. "I think the evidence is pretty substantial now; it seems to be beneficial across the board," says Dr. Eric Rimm, associate professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.

to read more.....

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/can-coffee-help-you-live-longer

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-coffee-makes-you-live-longer/

Honored Contributor

Re: Can coffee help you live longer?

I hope so, my husband makes the best coffee and I drink 3 mugs of black coffee a day. 

Honored Contributor

You can find research to support your predilection.  So whatever you choose, enjoy your life!

Honored Contributor

I thought coffee was supposed to be bad for you.  LOL.  I guess I should start drinking coffee.  🍵

Respected Contributor

Those around me will live longer if I have my coffee!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I thought coffee was supposed to be bad for you.  LOL.  I guess I should start drinking coffee.  🍵

@GCR18  It can be bad for you if you have problems with acid reflux or heart arrhythmia brought on by caffeine (even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it).  I'm sure there are other conditions that would make coffee a bad idea for some.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the warning.  I don't have either or have to stay away from any foods.

Trusted Contributor

Too bad I'm a tea drinker.Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou: Me too! I used to drink just  "regular" tea, but recently have been enjoying different flavors! Peppermint is my current favorite!

Honored Contributor

Been following in trials and tribulations of the "good coffee" and the "bad coffee" for more decades than I care to remember. I did my own personal study with coffee(with caffeine) and found no negatives during my decades of drinking a little(1 cup a day), and when working Graveyard Shift, as much as half a gallon(64oz) per day.

My findings for my body functioning the best? It varied over the years, but since I am now considered "old", and physically and mentally functioning as well as when much younger?  Will keep drinking my 1 mug(sometimes 2) per day and consider all the latest studies/research as moot to me. Free hospital Joe, and instant Folgers at home. Ahhh! Good stuff, and good for my physical exercising and keeping the ole brain workin just fine.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)