Honored Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Vegan Cookbook?

@cuddlesmama  Always puts a smile on my face when I hear interest in plant based....for health, the animals, the environment.  So good!

I have been vegan for along time so at this point my diet is very simple.  But as a new vegan, I just thought I'd offer a place where you can get some inspiration.  You might want to check out Advantgarde on You Tube.  Gaz is a creative genius in the kitchen.  There are so many You Tube plant based that are great....High Carb Hanna (try her chili and soups), chef AJ (for information and simple recipes).  The books that have been recommended are good....there are so many resources.  Noodle around YouTube and you will find so many wonderful recipes that will inspire you.

Welcome to this new way of life....you will love the transformation!

Honored Contributor

The Happy Herbivore has 3 good ones.  PlantPure Nation is another, as well as Oh She Glows. I generally get my best recipes online from bloggers like Monkey and Me, Krocks in the Kitchen, High Carb Hannah .

I am not Vegan, but my friend is, I asked her and the above post was her reply. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle   Great recommendations...there are so many.  Love Krocks and Oh She Glows.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@cuddlesmama  I had a co-worker who followed Vegan several years ago.  I got her a book called The Veganomicon.  She seemed to like it.  I see there is a 10th annaversary edition out.  Maybe check it out at the library.

I second this. Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is good. Her recipes are the most consistently tasty. She has a web site called Post Punk Kitchen where you can get some recipes. I'm not even vegan, yet I will happily eat something from her recipes over the non-vegan version.

I wasn't thrilled with Happy Herbivore. It is healthy, but lots of her recipes lacked flavor or just tasted odd.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

My recommendations would be Thug Kitchen and Oh She Glows.

Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have also gotten some very good recipes on the website Cookie and Kate.

And there's the Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show website and you tube videos.  I've made a number of her recipes, all very good!

ETA:  Cookie and Kate is a vegetarian recipe site, but there are a number of vegan recipes there too.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@cuddlesmama  I had a co-worker who followed Vegan several years ago.  I got her a book called The Veganomicon.  She seemed to like it.  I see there is a 10th annaversary edition out.  Maybe check it out at the library.

I just ordered this at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Brand New Vegan, I've made several of his recipes (mainly the soups) from this website and they have been very good.  

My most used cookbook is Straight Up Food by Cathy Fisher.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

I like Brand New Vegan, I've made several of his recipes (mainly the soups) from this website and they have been very good.  

@Caligurll 

You like Brand New Vegan!  I've known Chuck from the McDougall forums from way back when. He's a nice guy...and yes, makes very tasty recipes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@Caligurll 

You like Brand New Vegan!  I've known Chuck from the McDougall forums from way back when. He's a nice guy...and yes, makes very tasty recipes. 

@sidsmom  Yes, his are some of my favorite recipes, especially his recipe for minestrone soup.  I'll be having it for dinner tonight, the last of this batch, and am already planning on making it again this weekend.  It's in very frequent rotation.  His potato soup with green chiles is AMAZING also.  I made it several times this past summer/fall when Hatch chiles were available here.