Super Contributor

Re: Came home from the dentist today....

On 9/5/2014 Desertdi said:

I came home from the hospital (after surgery) and still had those sticky patches (where they attach the monitors) stuck to my back.................

I had an EKG sticky under my boo....when I got home from surgery a few weeks ago. I didn't notice it (or much of anything) for 2 days.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/5/2014 moonstone dunes said:

Did they sedate you? I had a debridement of an old filling done on a back upper molar by my dentist and a crown put in a couple of months ago along with an endodontist doing my root canal and a visit for a temporary in between. I was numbed up 3x over several weeks of visits and never had one cotton wad put in! Even if they had put it in you can feel those! My dentists have never used those cotton wads since the 80s.

Not put out.... I just had novacaine. Since it was an old bottom left molar with a 30 year old huge mercury filling in it, and he had to drill away some cavity at the gumline, I think the cotton helped to keep my tongue to the side away from where he had to drill. Being numb, I did not notice it there when I left. I do remember him putting it in.

Sometimes a cotton role is placed between the tooth and tongue to keep tongue away and to help absorb saliva.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 Desertdi said:

I came home from the hospital (after surgery) and still had those sticky patches (where they attach the monitors) stuck to my back.................

That happened to me too! Mine was on the front though.
Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/5/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/5/2014 F1wild said:
On 9/4/2014 gazelle77 said: Had a crown prep done, got home and as the Novocain started to wear off, felt a strange discomfort next to my tongue...scratchy and odd. Thought maybe they had scraped my tongue or something. Well I finally took a look in the mirror and there was a cotton wad roll still in my mouth on the side, jammed next to my tongue! Took it out and it felt so much better. Never had a dentist leave anything in my mouth before! When you are all numbed up, you do not feel a thing and I left the office clueless. Should I mention this to the hygienist when I go back to get the permanent crown put on? I think it is something that should not happen.

That's ridiculous! I'm glad you found it when you did.

BTW, the person working with the doctor is an assistant. The one that cleans your teeth and provides perio treatment is the hygienist. Not a big deal, but I'm a hygienist...and would never leave something in your mouth.

My sister is a hygienist too. We compare notes often on our professions, as I was a nurse. Gazelle mentioned that she would be seeing the hygienist when she gets her permanent crown put on. I hope the hygienist is not the one who puts the permanent crown on, as my sister tells me that hygienists cannot do procedures like cementing permanent crowns on (irreversible procedures??).

She was his assistant when prepping the tooth for the temporary crown. She may also do cleanings... not sure. She made the temporary crown. The doctor was the one who put the cotton in my mouth... is it her job to make sure everything is out or his?

I asked this question of my sister, who is a hygienist. She said that it might vary from office to office, but usually the dentist takes them out as s(he) completes a procedure. In all health professions, ultimately the doctor holds the responsibility for anything that happens...although the people under his supervision can get sued in addition to the doctor.

The biggest concern in leaving a cotton roll in your mouth would be swallowing it somehow. I would mention it to them at your next appointment. They need to double check that everything is out. In medicine, during surgery, every piece of gauze used and every instrument used are counted multiple times during the procedure.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Yes, I would mention it. It was placed in your mouth to widen the work field or keep the area dry from blood or saliva. Perhaps you were still bleeding is the only thing I can think of. But they should have told you it was still there.

Re sticky things after heart procedures and/or tests, I've never had these taken off, sometimes I don't discover them until I take a shower. But its best to remove them as soon as you get home as some people are allergic to that adhesive, like me.

Super Contributor

I was thinking about this last night. Maybe you should have waited til way after the office closed and then call the office and have the emergency service reach the doctor. When he called back I would ask him how long you should leave the cotton roll in your mouth and that you were afraid you might swallow or aspirate it when you sleep. That would alert him to the error in a passive/aggressive manner.

Super Contributor

Thank-you for all you input to this cotton issue. I go back next Tuesday to get the permanent crown put on. I will mention it gently to the gal who was helping DR. with crown prep..she really is very nice! I noticed that the DR. Was gone pretty fast after finishing...it was noon and they go to lunch. No excuse, but, knowing from when I worked, lunch distraction and anticipation might make you less careful in what you are doing. I usually make appointments AFTER lunch or early in the morning just for that reason, not around lunchtime-ish.
Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 F1wild said:

I was thinking about this last night. Maybe you should have waited til way after the office closed and then call the office and have the emergency service reach the doctor. When he called back I would ask him how long you should leave the cotton roll in your mouth and that you were afraid you might swallow or aspirate it when you sleep. That would alert him to the error in a passive/aggressive manner.

If the whole office was not so darned nice....that might have been an option Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I have had the wads before, they are to prevent bleeding, but usually one is told they are in the mouth.

Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 mousiegirl said:

I have had the wads before, they are to prevent bleeding, but usually one is told they are in the mouth.

Hello! Thanks for the input. I go tomorrow to have the permanent crown put on... deciding if I should mention it to the gal that worked with the doctor. I do not want to make a deal about it, but, maybe if I mention it she will be very diligent to always check twice on future patients? Have a great day!Smile