Super Contributor

Came home from the dentist today....

Had a crown prep done, got home and as the Novocain started to wear off, felt a strange discomfort next to my tongue...scratchy and odd. Thought maybe they had scraped my tongue or something. Well I finally took a look in the mirror and there was a cotton wad roll still in my mouth on the side, jammed next to my tongue! Took it out and it felt so much better. Never had a dentist leave anything in my mouth before! When you are all numbed up, you do not feel a thing and I left the office clueless. Should I mention this to the hygienist when I go back to get the permanent crown put on? I think it is something that should not happen.
Respected Contributor

Re: Came home from the dentist today....

YES! You should mention this. If you would laid down and fell asleep or taken a drink you could have choked!

Thank goodness you found it.

Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:

YES! You should mention this. If you would laid down and fell asleep or taken a drink you could have choked!

Thank goodness you found it.

I never thought of that....you are right.
Respected Contributor

You could have choked on that. How did they miss it?
Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Q2girl said: You could have choked on that. How did they miss it?
I do not know? Not paying attention I guess, and my appointment was close to lunch time......
Honored Contributor

Oh no....they should have known your mouth was numb and it was their responsibility to look out for things like this.
Honored Contributor

Just be glad you weren't having surgery!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 gazelle77 said: Had a crown prep done, got home and as the Novocain started to wear off, felt a strange discomfort next to my tongue...scratchy and odd. Thought maybe they had scraped my tongue or something. Well I finally took a look in the mirror and there was a cotton wad roll still in my mouth on the side, jammed next to my tongue! Took it out and it felt so much better. Never had a dentist leave anything in my mouth before! When you are all numbed up, you do not feel a thing and I left the office clueless. Should I mention this to the hygienist when I go back to get the permanent crown put on? I think it is something that should not happen.

That's ridiculous! I'm glad you found it when you did.

BTW, the person working with the doctor is an assistant. The one that cleans your teeth and provides perio treatment is the hygienist. Not a big deal, but I'm a hygienist...and would never leave something in your mouth.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 F1wild said:
On 9/4/2014 gazelle77 said: Had a crown prep done, got home and as the Novocain started to wear off, felt a strange discomfort next to my tongue...scratchy and odd. Thought maybe they had scraped my tongue or something. Well I finally took a look in the mirror and there was a cotton wad roll still in my mouth on the side, jammed next to my tongue! Took it out and it felt so much better. Never had a dentist leave anything in my mouth before! When you are all numbed up, you do not feel a thing and I left the office clueless. Should I mention this to the hygienist when I go back to get the permanent crown put on? I think it is something that should not happen.

BTW, the person working with the doctor is an assistant. The one that cleans your teeth and provides perio treatment is the hygienist. Not a big deal, but I'm a hygienist...and would never leave something in your mouth.

My sister is a hygienist too. We compare notes often on our professions, as I was a nurse. Gazelle mentioned that she would be seeing the hygienist when she gets her permanent crown put on. I hope the hygienist is not the one who puts the permanent crown on, as my sister tells me that hygienists cannot do procedures like cementing permanent crowns on (irreversible procedures??).

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/5/2014 F1wild said:

My sister is a hygienist too. We compare notes often on our professions, as I was a nurse. Gazelle mentioned that she would be seeing the hygienist when she gets her permanent crown put on. I hope the hygienist is not the one who puts the permanent crown on, as my sister tells me that hygienists cannot do procedures like cementing permanent crowns on (irreversible procedures??).

She was his assistant when prepping the tooth for the temporary crown. She may also do cleanings... not sure. She made the temporary crown. The doctor was the one who put the cotton in my mouth... is it her job to make sure everything is out or his?