Honored Contributor

Re: Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist

I'm a bit late to the upshot here, but did I read correctly that the OP took this story from a website to post as her own?

That is so weird.

As to doctors vs. pharmacists, I had a doctor who told me that if I had any questions about a medication he prescribed that I should ask the pharmacist about it.

That didn't set well with me at all.  While I appreciate that a pharmacist is (and should be!) well versed in what they are handing out, the doctor should certainly know at least as much about it.  But I guess they just dole out what the drug rep brings to the office.  Might as well just go to the phamaceutical company for the exam.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

ACTUALLY - Publix pharmacy fills Metformin for free.

What I took poffense at about this phone call was this little twit telling me I HAVE TO take a statin if I'm on Metformin when, in fact, she does not know anything at all about my medical history etc. Who is she to say I HAVE TO take a drug? 

Trust me the only reason for this call was to make money for Walgreens. I wonder what % of the people she called immediately called their doctor asking for a Rx for a statin.

@151949

That "little twit" was just doing her job.  I seriously doubt she took it upon herself to tell you, you HAVE TO take a statin.

I seriously doubt the only reason for the call was to make money for Walgreens.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I'm a bit late to the upshot here, but did I read correctly that the OP took this story from a website to post as her own?

That is so weird.

As to doctors vs. pharmacists, I had a doctor who told me that if I had any questions about a medication he prescribed that I should ask the pharmacist about it.

That didn't set well with me at all.  While I appreciate that a pharmacist is (and should be!) well versed in what they are handing out, the doctor should certainly know at least as much about it.  But I guess they just dole out what the drug rep brings to the office.  Might as well just go to the phamaceutical company for the exam.

This is a blatent lie - someone here needs to post the website I supposedly took this from to prove it - because it did not happen. Vivid imagination is all.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

The OP doesn't seem to like suggestions or recommendations from anyone.

Trusted Contributor

Actually I thought this thread did contain a fair amount of discussion regarding relevant medical issues. DH is a diabetic and his physician wanted to put him a statins a while back, but it did not work out for him. My dad lasted for 10 days on statins before his PC pulled him off due to his bloodwork. In my opinion, such prescriptions should be given with careful consideration of the particular patient, risks and benefits, and side effects - and monitored on an ongoing basis.
Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG  It was a recommendation only by the Pharmacist. Many of us are also diabetics. We've had the appropriate conversations with our PCP regarding whether or not a statin would be good for us now. It's simply a reminder to continue those conversations with our physicians. Our lab works change as our bodies change. Our physicians are acutely aware of what is happening over the years. We NEED to ask periodically if a statin is necessary while on Metformin. Most PCP will delay a statin as long as possible.

The Pharmacist was doing her job. The OP was rude and tried to give Walgreen's a bad name by insinuating they are out for the money. That simply is not true. She later admitted the phone call originated from HER insurance company and the pharmacist sounded "uncomfortable". Yet, she didn't bother to apologise for the negative remarks made about the Pharmacist or Walgreens. Both deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. This entire post was mean-spirited. It could have been an educational forum if she had provided ALL of the facts immediately, rather than bashing another woman and business. She continues to argue throughout this lengthy post which only reinforces ignorance, her desperate need to be the center of attention and a flare of dramatics.  

No one on these forums had the right to ruin an entire company's reputation with insults, half-stories and lies. Walgreens is a reputable company and has provided medications and OTC products all over our country and abroad for decades. Their stock is solid. The OP could be sued for liable for saying such untruths about them. She keeps saying she was in the nursing field, yet she does not behave as a professional with such stories. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@MarieIG  It was a recommendation only by the Pharmacist. Many of us are also diabetics. We've had the appropriate conversations with our PCP regarding whether or not a statin would be good for us now. It's simply a reminder to continue those conversations with our physicians. Our lab works change as our bodies change. Our physicians are acutely aware of what is happening over the years. We NEED to ask periodically if a statin is necessary while on Metformin. Most PCP will delay a statin as long as possible.

The Pharmacist was doing her job. The OP was rude and tried to give Walgreen's a bad name by insinuating they are out for the money. That simply is not true. She later admitted the phone call originated from HER insurance company and the pharmacist sounded "uncomfortable". Yet, she didn't bother to apologise for the negative remarks made about the Pharmacist or Walgreens. Both deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. This entire post was mean-spirited. It could have been an educational forum if she had provided ALL of the facts immediately, rather than bashing another woman and business. She continues to argue throughout this lengthy post which only reinforces ignorance, her desperate need to be the center of attention and a flare of dramatics.  

No one on these forums had the right to ruin an entire company's reputation with insults, half-stories and lies. Walgreens is a reputable company and has provided medications and OTC products all over our country and abroad for decades. Their stock is solid. The OP could be sued for liable for saying such untruths about them. She keeps saying she was in the nursing field, yet she does not behave as a professional with such stories. 

I think this is a little dramatic.

I doubt Walgreen's will sue for "libel" over the OP's post.  I also doubt Walreen's reputation will be ruined from this thread.  LOL

She does have a flair for being dramatic and not telling the whole story though.

Honored Contributor

Tell Walgreen's to call your Dr.

Honored Contributor

My fellow posters...........................until the next saga. Woman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson