Occasional Contributor

Re: Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist

Taking any prescription drug (or OTC) product always needs to be evaluated for risk verus benefit .

Rhabdomyolysis and peripheral neuropathy are very RARE side effects of statins.

ANY drug that lowers cholesterol, not just statins , can cause memory loss.  For most ,the memory loss is early in treatment and transient.  There are ongoing studies indicating statins may actually be useful in dementia patients.

Some people will see an increase in blood glucose levels when started on a statin.  Remember, we take statins for reasons other than their cholesterol lowering effect and the beneift of the statin in reducing stroke and heart attack far outweighs the risk of the small  blood rise in sugar.  

Only YOU can make the decision whether to take a statin (or any medication).  Always discuss benefit versus risk, or any concerns you have with your doctor and pharmacist.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting that just yesterday DH got a call from his pharmacy..he answered because he thought they may be out of one of his meds that seems to be in short supply...he is not diabetic....but the person calling said they were a pharmacy intern and needed to ask several questions....as soon as he started, DH said he didn't want to answer anything and ended the call. The questions were stuff like do you have trouble remembering when to take your meds, can you open the pill bottles okay, do you know why you are taking meds, etc....how intrusive....DH was very offended..he is 70....so does that mean the drug companies get to decide if you have lived long enough?

Honored Contributor

I would have told this person that If I need an additional prescribed drug, my doctor would prescribe it, not them.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a autoimmune disorder  and my doc prescribed omaprazol  for heartburn which gave me extreme pain in hands  after taking 2 weeks.....I called the pharmacist (who is so helpful with her advice on holistic options for heartburn) and asked her if this could cause this and she said only if you have a autoimmune disorder!...So there you go she knew more than the doctor and after being off for 3 days all pain gone!....Now only med i am on is tagamet and hopefully for not to long....I dont like going to doctors(for this reason) and always try to treat holistically but havent found what will yet....Am still hoping something will work.

Respected Contributor

I wonder whether the real context of--and reason for-- the pharmacist's call was to alert the poster that Medicare (perhaps) goes along with the recommendation of the Diabetes Assn. that a statin accompany metformin.  Therefore, Medicare or another insurance plan might only pay for the metformin if a statin has also been prescribed.

Maybe this was a courtesy call to the poster that might keep her from paying for metformin out-of-pocket, not covered by insurance.

Just guessing, because so much of what was posted doesn't make much sense to me, otherwise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

I wonder whether the real context of--and reason for-- the pharmacist's call was to alert the poster that Medicare (perhaps) goes along with the recommendation of the Diabetes Assn. that a statin accompany metformin.  Therefore, Medicare or another insurance plan might only pay for the metformin if a statin has also been prescribed.

Maybe this was a courtesy call to the poster that might keep her from paying for metformin out-of-pocket, not covered by insurance.

Just guessing, because so much of what was posted doesn't make much sense to me, otherwise.

ACTUALLY - Publix pharmacy fills Metformin for free.

What I took poffense at about this phone call was this little twit telling me I HAVE TO take a statin if I'm on Metformin when, in fact, she does not know anything at all about my medical history etc. Who is she to say I HAVE TO take a drug? 

Trust me the only reason for this call was to make money for Walgreens. I wonder what % of the people she called immediately called their doctor asking for a Rx for a statin.

Honored Contributor

@151949, If you feel so STRONGLY about Walgreens just “wanting to make a buck”, take your business elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

Not so easy with some plans.

My company insurance plan has Walgreens as a "top tier" pharmacy with the deepest discounts.

My only other option on the top tier is Walmart.  Walmart is not as convenient as Walgreens for me and much more crowded, much longer wait times.

I would have to have a really big problem with Walgreens before switching.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@151949, If you feel so STRONGLY about Walgreens just “wanting to make a buck”, take your business elsewhere. 

@loveschocolate  But that would open the door to another pharmacy who employs "twits".

Ya know?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3, I noticed that comment. A very condescending statement about a medical professional..