Honored Contributor

Re: Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist

@Sueliz wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@tansy I have recently been prescribed a controlled substance - Tamoxafen, so when they said can you hold on for the pharmacist - she wants to talk to you about one of your prescriptions , I assumed it was gonna be about that drug.

Tamoxifen is a hormone blocker, it is not a controlled substance.

OMG - typing and talking to someone at the same time & mixed up my two conversations. Sorry. I was ordered Tramadol.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

WHAT MAKES THIS PERSON AT WALGREENS THINK HE/SHE IS A DOCTOR???

A pharmacist is NOT a doctor!!.  I'm on Metformin and have been for 11 years.  I can't take a Statin.  I've tried three of them even tho my numbers are ok... and they nearly crippled me.  I'm NOT about to argue with a highly educated pill distributor/dispenser.... but I think they are definitely not for everyone. I'll save my personal information and discussions for my DOCTOR and let my DOCTOR discuss her decisions with ME.

FYI - Pharmacists are doctors. they have a professional doctorate in pharmacy.

No, they are not medical doctors.  She is referring to MD's, not the same as a Pharm.D. or Ph.D. in pharmacy.  At the University where I work, students complete 2 years of pre-pharmacy and then can earn a BS in pharmaceutical sciences with 2 additional years of professional training (4 years total).  They can continue and earn a Pharm.D. with 2 more years of professional training (6 years total).  Students also have the option of earning an MS or a Ph.D. in pharmaceutical sciences.

It takes EIGHT YEARS, not six, to get the title of Pharm D. With some exceptions, a registered pharmacist can practice sooner.

But not every pharmacist gets a PhD. Many just have a bachelors degree. Just like nursing - you can have a nurse who has an Associates degree - 2 years at community college or just a diploma from a nursing school so they can get their RN. Then they may have a BSN - MSN or a PhD.But usually anyone with a MSN or a PhD is not doing any job caring for patients. They are in administration.

@151949 Actually, by law in most states, any who is a Pharmacist IS REQUIRED to have a Pharm Doc.  Your information is just not correct.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Just once, I'd like to see the posters who have such an issue with the OP stay off her threads.  Some of the snarky responses right off the bat make them look more childish and ridiculous than they think the OP is. 

It's like all those who flock to the LR threads and then complain about the LR threads started by the same poster.

Same concept.  Different OP.      

Yeah I know the OP gets bent and typically gives half a story then reveals the rest later, which is annoying.   But sometimes you just have to laugh at the antics.  You gotta admit, sometimes her threads bring out other good information.  LOL

As long as their weren't dogs in the pharmacy, it's all good to me.

Oh and I'm sure this was a typo, but Walgreens is headquartered in Illinois, not Indiana.  

@Lipstickdiva  Do you ever wonder why the moderators DO NOT pull posts from this person who baits people daily on THEIR bulletin board?  The OP has always claimed someone here protects her and she has an in with the mods and I do believe that.  

I'm sure that this will at least be deleted, and if you don't see me again you'll know why.  .  . but it persists day after day.  We ge a scene guaranteed to evoke disagreements then this. . . time after time after time. 

So yes, I don't know why people respond either, but we do and we get beat up every time.  And she loves it. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

She once told me that directly in a post.

⁉️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@151949 @ID2

Both my sons are pharmacists. 6+ years of schooling for a PharmD degree. My older son has extensive training in diabetes care. He regularly runs clinics for diabetics & monitors their conditions. I shared your post with him- he agrees that you probably should take a statin. The Walgreens pharmacist was just advising you that it is recommended- based on clinical studies. I googled it & it is recommended even if your cholesterol is low.  Statins have other benefits besides just lowering cholesterol. In this case they are trying to prevent heart disease in diabetics. Yes they also have side effects. You should discuss this with your doctor & determine what is best for your health. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner

She once told me that directly in a post.

⁉️

@Drythe  She said she had a good friend who was a mod but I believe that was before this upgrade.  She said she would never be banned.

I don't find her posts worthy of being pulled all the time but she has made some really unkind remarkds about disabled people among others.  So no, I do not give her a pass. 

It's obvious that this thread was pulled from a diabetes website-almost word for word and that is being deceptive. 

Posting stories that have dubious truth are one thing; and easily spotted when the circumstances change.  It's the insults to those who offer opposing povs that are not the way to expect posters to be friendly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I would think your Dr would be the one who'd tell you what medicine to take, etc.

Never heard of a pharmacist making these kinds of calls?

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I would think your Dr would be the one who'd tell you what medicine to take, etc.

Never heard of a pharmacist making these kinds of calls?

A pharmacist did not call the OP.  This has been confirmed.

Valued Contributor

She posts things to get attention and to laugh at posters.  

So pathetic.

Occasional Contributor

I am a practicing pharmacist of 34 years. I have never posted before, but just wanted to share some information.

Having diabetes can lead to microvascular and macrovascular complications. 

MICROvascular complications occur when the diabetes affects the small blood vessels .  The microvascular complications affect organs such as your eye and kidneys.   That's why diabetes can lead to blindness and kidney complicaions.    If you control your diabetes and have an A1C at goal, you CAN mitigate THESE complications.

Diabetes causes MACROvascular complications --it affects the large blood vessels which is why people with diabetes are 2 to 4 times more like to suffer a stroke or heart attack.  Lowering your blood sugar does NOT mitigate THESE effects.  That is why we are aggressive in diabetics and treat their blood pressure, put them on statins and work to get them to stop smoking.   These interventions DO decease the risk of stroke and heart attack.

When statins first came on the market, we knew the statins lowered cholesterol and, people who were put on statins had less strokes and heart attacks.( often referred to as having an event).  So, we treated to lower cholesterol numbers thinking that was what making the difference.  Problem is, diabetics with "good" numbers were having an event.  So why.....

The cholesterol of a diabetic has a different make -up then a non diabetic.   It is denser and more likely to accumulate in blood vessels.   Diabetics also have a difference in their endothelium (lining of the blood vessel).  Diabetics have an increase of inflammation in the body .  We can actually measure this by a measuring C reactive protein.  Statins work on all of these issues.

Yes, statin drugs reduce LDL or "bad" cholesterol BUT they also reduce inflammation.  Moreover, if there are any plaques of cholesterol (clumps that attach to the lining of the vessel), statins can help reduce those.  When the plaques rupture (break open) they form blood clots.  If the blood clot breaks off and travels to the heart, you have a heart attack.  If it travels to the brain, a stroke.  Stains stabalize plaques and decrease the risk this will happen.  Even people with good numbers can have plaques.

NO other drugs, not fish oil, not niacin, not fibrates (gemfibrozil or fenofibrate) have been shown to reduce the risk of an event.   They can, and do lower your numbers, but do NOT reduce risk.  We now treat with statins to lower risk.  Statins are classified by how strong they are, or the intensity.   There are several factors to consider, but a diabetic should be on atleast a moderate potency (there are high potency) statin to reduce the risk of an event.

I hear people speculate that doctor's, pharmacists and insurance companies push these drugs based on studies done by big pharma.   Big pharma does make two fish oil products, Lovaza and Vascepa and a Niacin product called Niaspan.   You don't see commercials for these, because there is not 1 Study that shows that they reduce cardiovascular events.   Fish oil  and fibrates can decrease trigycerides which if high, can lead to pancreatitis.  Fish oil has some blood thiing properties and has some anti-inflammatory effects, but still no data to show it reduces stroke or heart attack.  Based on the OTC product you purchase it would take 12 to 16 caps a day to see the trigyceride lowering effect.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  The decision to take any medication  does, of course, always rest with the individual. 

I think it is awesome that your pharmacist cared enough to reach out.

Stain use in patients with diabetes is supported by several  Clinical guidelines, The American Diabetes Association, The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the American Heart Association.

The change from treating to see a good number to treating to risk is relatively new, from 2013 and it is a lot to wrap your head around since it really is not intuitive.

I hope at the very least, that this will get people talking with their physicians.

I wish you continued good health!