@Drythe wrote:

teapot.jpg

@Drythe

Surf's Up!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist

@loveschocolate wrote:

#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEM

Every single day. Only her. Imagine that? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote

(I edited your post)

Very few people taking statins need to take them. Statins are making people sick and big pharma is laughing all the way to the bank.

@willdob3

Partially agree, everyone does not need to take a statin. I am not in a position to question one's doctor should they prescribe a statin for their patient. Pharma making too much $$$? I agree. Other than that, we are on different pages.

I have been taking a statin since my 1st cardio event in 2003. Met many in 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes that had muscles issues, but this did not limit their mobility, or make them sick. While muscle spasms (cramps) can be painful, they do not commonly cause a disability, big diffrrence.

I have had no issues related to my statin, my muscles work just fine, and their connective tissues are as flexible as they were long before my Cardiac event.

There, in my opinion, can be many different reasons that some on stains have an issue with them, and some CAN help themselves prevent or lessen muscle spasms, but won't. 

I will leave the prescribing up to a person's doctor(s), but will comment on what I know about statins, via my own personal experience, and talking with well over 100 actual heart patients taking statins. 

If only things were so simple for treating diseases. Broad statements, be they negative(which most seem to be), or positive, every human body IS different, and so are they way they handle life, and medicines, OTC or prescribed.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

and?

Wait for it...

Honored Contributor

I took a statin for cholosterol and I was in morbid pain and almost bed ridden.  Pain went away almost immediately after discontinuing.  Try hard to adjust your food choices to lower chlosterol on your own if possible.  I'm still working on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't understand what the big deal is about this-other than this incident has shown up on a diabetes help site. 

The same situation-the pharmacist only recommended, not prescribed.

So I guess it's a common incident-and not a whoop do. 

That's interesting.  If I were a doctor, I would be annoyed that Walgreens is asserting themselves in patient care like this.

As a patient, I would be annoyed if they did anything other than say "hey, we want you know about this.  Here's a sheet of paper to talk to your doctor about."

Exactly.  They may have had her best interests at heart, but it was handled inappropriately.  

Do you really think we have enough information to know exactly what happened and in what way and context this actually happened?  Aren’t we jumping to a lot of conclusions?  Have you had a pharmacist call just to recommend a drug?  

I have had them call about a prescription then started talking to them. Are calls like this common in your area?  If so that is different. And uncalled fot

Oh for cripes sake - the phone rang - it was Walgreens - not the store - it was from their home offices in Indiana. A person said the pharmacist needed to discuss my Rx with me and would I please hold on - she kept me waiting for about 5 min which had me Po'ed to start with - then when she got on she starts with the Oh how are you feeling today. I'm calling because I have noticed on your drug profile that you are taking metformin and here at Walgreens it is our policy to inform you that any diabetic who is under 75 years old needs to also be taking a statin drug.We'd like to notify your PCP that he has to order you a statin drug per the newest guidelines from the ADA....

Your first post left out a lot pertinent information.  Readers were led to believe that some random pharmacist contacted you and told you that needed to take a statin, when all the call was about informing you of the new guidelines which were posted on this thread at #7.  You may need a statin.  I agree that is between you and physician, but all Walgreen's was doing was sharing information.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

I took a statin for cholosterol and I was in morbid pain and almost bed ridden.  Pain went away almost immediately after discontinuing.  Try hard to adjust your food choices to lower chlosterol on your own if possible.  I'm still working on it.

The point is - my cholesterol is not high. The ADA has decided that every diabetic under 75 years old has to be on a statin drug.IMO - it is simply to sell more of the drug - not to improve anyones health or well being.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't understand what the big deal is about this-other than this incident has shown up on a diabetes help site. 

The same situation-the pharmacist only recommended, not prescribed.

So I guess it's a common incident-and not a whoop do. 

That's interesting.  If I were a doctor, I would be annoyed that Walgreens is asserting themselves in patient care like this.

As a patient, I would be annoyed if they did anything other than say "hey, we want you know about this.  Here's a sheet of paper to talk to your doctor about."

Exactly.  They may have had her best interests at heart, but it was handled inappropriately.  

Do you really think we have enough information to know exactly what happened and in what way and context this actually happened?  Aren’t we jumping to a lot of conclusions?  Have you had a pharmacist call just to recommend a drug?  

I have had them call about a prescription then started talking to them. Are calls like this common in your area?  If so that is different. And uncalled fot

Oh for cripes sake - the phone rang - it was Walgreens - not the store - it was from their home offices in Indiana. A person said the pharmacist needed to discuss my Rx with me and would I please hold on - she kept me waiting for about 5 min which had me Po'ed to start with - then when she got on she starts with the Oh how are you feeling today. I'm calling because I have noticed on your drug profile that you are taking metformin and here at Walgreens it is our policy to inform you that any diabetic who is under 75 years old needs to also be taking a statin drug.We'd like to notify your PCP that he has to order you a statin drug per the newest guidelines from the ADA....

Your first post left out a lot pertinent information.  Readers were led to believe that some random pharmacist contacted you and told you that needed to take a statin, when all the call was about informing you of the new guidelines which were posted on this thread at #7.  You may need a statin.  I agree that is between you and physician, but all Walgreen's was doing was sharing information.

SMH

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

it was an error in judgment for the pharmacist to call the patient.  Having worked for physicians for many years, I can tell you that pharmacists were frequently calling to let the doctor know of some interaction or other issue with the drugs.  

It was then up to the physician to pass the information on to the patient with a recommendation.  The pharmacist has an obligation to inform, preferably the doctor, of any potential problems with the drug.  It is a safety issue, not a money issue.

@gmkb

I understand your point, but I expect my pharmacist to also keep ME in the loop.   Not all prescriptions come from only one doctor, and there might be a drug interaction with a new prescription.  I would expect my pharmacist to tell me they spotted a problem and are going to call the MD's office. 

If I was there waiting to pick up a first time prescription, it would be wrong for them to delay and not tell me what's going on!

If a person is getting prescriptions from more than one doctor, the pharmacist's knowledge (and perceived "interference") could save a life!