Esteemed Contributor

CYSTOCELE - ANTERIOR PROLAPSE

Anyone here been diagnosed with this?  It is when your bladder drops down, sometimes out of the ******.  My cousin was just diagnosed with this and she has been to two doctors for opinions.  They are holding off surgery.  In the meantime she has to live with this.  

Would a man put up with this??  Anyway, has anyone had the surgery for this and how did it go.  I understand it is quite successful.  She was told it is an elective surgery and she fears her insurance won't cover it when the time comes.

Any input would be appreciated.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CYSTOCELE - ANTERIOR PROLAPSE

Years ago my landlady (wife of a dentist) told me she had to have this correction.  After that she was fine - have heard childbearing can be a factor.  Docs tie it up - as I understand it.  Google for more information.

Respected Contributor

My friend has this and was offered surgery or a pessary.  Right now she is doing the pessary. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a total hysterectomy, bladder and rectum repair last July.  Was done laparoscopic and vaginally.  Was an overnight stay in hospital but classified as out patient surgery.  No issues with the surgery.  4-6 week recoup time, 1st 2 weeks no driving, then 2-4 weeks no lifting over 5 lbs.   Been extremely happy with success.  My surgeon was wonderful, caring doctor who specializes in this type of surgery.  He travels the country teaching other doctors on this procedure.  If you live anywhere near Cookeville Tenn, I highly recommend him.   Good luck.  

P.S.   I did try the pessary first, did not work for me.  

Trusted Contributor

My grandma suffered from this. They gave her a pessary and she used that for years and years (maybe not the very same one for those years!) until she passd away (not related to the pessary). It's a common solution for a not unusual condition in some women. A pessary is not hard to manage and will certainly help to avoid or put off surgery.

That said, the surgery is done by a urologist or gynecologis, and not overly uncomfortable for healing and aftercare. After recovery this problem is resolved for good.  It is easy to find out if the surgery is covered by insurance, co-pay info , etc. Your cousin can call her insurer and they will tell her the cost or extent of coverage. Or a doctor's office can get that answered, too. I do not think your cousin should speculate as to it being "elective".  That does not mean it is not ncecessary or that woudn't be covered. Elective is  the word used for non-emergency or planned  instead immediate, life saving surgery. People can have elective surgery that is covered by insurance.  Just because it can be planned or scheduled, doesn't mean it isn't nnecessary. 

Read more about the pessary and the surgery to add confidence in making choices.

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/av1031

https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/what-are-vaginal-pessaries

And as for what men would accept-- lots of men "put up" with painful hernias for quite a while because they won't go to doctors, won't accept they have a problem, won't  face the treatment. And the "appliance" used in lieu of surgery is a "truss". Wanna picture it?

Wishing your cousin well.

Honored Contributor

This is a very common surgery, and I have never known anyone to have it done without it being covered by their insurance.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, all.  I will let her know.  They are making her do pelvic physical therapy first.  They also gave her a prescription, I don't know what, but I assume it is Myribetriq, or some other incontinence med.  She has been having a lot of UTIs because pf not being able to fully empty her bladder. They said surgery is down the road, even though her bladder is "making an appearance" if you get my drift.

As far as this being elective, that is what the doc said.  They didn't, however, say it wouldn't be covered.

TA!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Going way back, I must have been in my 40's. I got off an exercise bike and felt "weird down there". Got a mirror and took a look. EGADS, what the bejeezus!! Thought I was giving birth to a large egg or something. Anyhow, had my bladder lifted and a partial hysterectomy, as in just my uterus. That's a scary deal when it happens. You don't know what the blazes is coming out. Was at the obgyn office within an hour. You feel like your in a bad movie.

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Anyone here been diagnosed with this?  It is when your bladder drops down, sometimes out of the ******.  My cousin was just diagnosed with this and she has been to two doctors for opinions.  They are holding off surgery.  In the meantime she has to live with this.  

Would a man put up with this??  Anyway, has anyone had the surgery for this and how did it go.  I understand it is quite successful.  She was told it is an elective surgery and she fears her insurance won't cover it when the time comes.

Any input would be appreciated.

I had this surgery many years ago.  Simple surgery and had no problems.  My insurance covered the cost.