Honored Contributor

Re: CVSHealth: Name change & early Cigarette/Tobacco removal

Good for CVS! Regarding the other not-so-healthy products, sure it's a hazard to "consume mass quantities" of junk foods. But I don't know of any that are in the same league as the dangers of one cigarette. And if someone chooses to eat junk food, it doesn’t create a toxic cloud others have to inhale.

“There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous.

Many of these chemicals are also found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.”

Among the hundreds of ingredients, cigarettes contain:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Naphthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

(source: American Lung Association)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

CVS can do what they want and suffer the consequences, if there are any.

I don't frequent a CVS because I find them much too expensive on everyday items I pick up from a drugstore and I have several other drugstores and pharmacies that I drive by on my way to and from work. CVS isn't one of them.

Honored Contributor

If companies want to omit certain products, I don't have a problem with that.

Smokers cost us all alot of money (think health insurance costs) so the less people who smoke, the better we all will be, financially and health-wise.

Super Contributor

I was a smoker for many years. But I quit a long time ago. I don't like CVS and I don't shop there, but I support their stand on this. Good for them! Now if others would follow suit.

But, smoking is an addiction like booze, food, etc., etc. Smoking is a drop in the bucket to getting America as a whole healthier.

Honored Contributor

All businesses should have the right to choose what to sell and what services they choose to provide.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Good for them! Smoking is awful.

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess alcohol is just too productive. Seems a little hypocritical to me but they are free to choose what products they no longer will sell. Now we will see if there is any backlash from this.

Valued Contributor

On 9/4/2014 robomo said:

I was a smoker for many years. But I quit a long time ago. I don't like CVS and I don't shop there, but I support their stand on this. Good for them! Now if others would follow suit.

But, smoking is an addiction like booze, food, etc., etc. Smoking is a drop in the bucket to getting America as a whole healthier.

I see the smoke nazis are out in full force. Now if they would just address their efforts to DWIs, which kill and maim thousands yearly, or those who favor more guns in everyone's hands, the world might see fewer violent acts.

Honored Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Hoovermom said:

Well, I guess alcohol is just too productive. Seems a little hypocritical to me but they are free to choose what products they no longer will sell. Now we will see if there is any backlash from this.

hm interesting- do they sell alcohol at CVS?

Respected Contributor

I find it a bit odd that at the same time there is a very vocal circle of people promoting the smoking of marijuana. A very well off lawyer down here has donated millions to that cause. The group making the most noise for it are young healthy people. Something tells me that improving ill folk's health is not the reason behind it. Interesting ?