Super Contributor

Re: CVSHealth: Name change & early Cigarette/Tobacco removal

In 2009, Britain raised the age for legal cigarette-buying from 16 to 18. There was talk of raising it each year, so for the younger generation, they would never be old enough to legally buy cigarettes.

Yes, it generates tax revenue, but it also puts a tremendous burden on the healthcare system (and as single payer, they're the same system in Britain).

Phasing it out, so a whole generation grows up not smoking, seems like a decent ambition to me.

Honored Contributor

How much do cigarettes cost these days? Anybody?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I love CVS!! I always compliment them for their knowledge and great CS!

Kudos to them for removing cigarettes and such!

Respected Contributor

Good for them.

I hate ANY store that I have to waft through a ton of smokers to get thru the front door. Many times seeing a sign that states ""no smoking within 50-feet of door.."" and nobody paying a lick of attention stands..puffs and blows away in our faces.

Gross. They want to polute themselves and their air..that is on them but the rest of us..not so much.

Super Contributor

I just read CVS profits are UP so they haven't suffered financially from the charge. Good for them!

Respected Contributor

I would never smoke, but this is a legal product. I prefer education to FORCE in this area. It makes me less likely to shop there. I'm tired of people trying to control others' choices.

Super Contributor

As for the cigarettes, I'm not a smoker and don't like to be around smokers. I think it would be counterintuitive for a health-related business to sell cigarettes, so I'm not surprised they are gone. I do wonder where people go to smoke these days if they are away from home, as a lot of outdoor spaces ban it, too. Seems to be more trouble than it's worth!

Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 Heart of Spade said:

As for the cigarettes, I'm not a smoker and don't like to be around smokers. I think it would be counterintuitive for a health-related business to sell cigarettes, so I'm not surprised they are gone. I do wonder where people go to smoke these days if they are away from home, as a lot of outdoor spaces ban it, too. Seems to be more trouble than it's worth!

I wonder how people can even afford to smoke these days. With all the taxes that hav been added on, it must cost a fortune!

Occasional Contributor

Bravo CVS!!!

Regular Contributor

Good.