Respected Contributor

Re: CVS pulls Zantac over cancer fears!

@Susan Louise can you share some of the foods you do eat and those you avoid? thank you!

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@Susan Louise can you share some of the foods you do eat and those you avoid? thank you!

Hello @FlowerBear  yes...give me about 15 minutes and I'll give you a basic list to start with and what DH and I did...need coffee...LOL Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise   I know you mean well. But it's one thing to relay your experience & your opinion. It's another thing to tell people to do it your way.

Health is a very personal issue.There can be life & death decisions involved. Everyone has to make a choice that they are both comfortable with & can live with.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

Hello @FlowerBear  yes...give me about 15 minutes and I'll give you a basic list to start with and what DH and I did...need coffee...LOL Smiley Happy

@FlowerBear  Ok, I'm back Smiley Happy

For you and and those who want to learn more, below is a link to a thread I started a year ago when DH and I began the low carb/keto lifestyle. In my OP I gave lots of info. It is probably very overwhelming to go through it all at once, so if you want, bookmark it so you can refer back to it. 

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/For-those-that-believe-in-low-fat-diets/m-p/5353543#M158055

When we began this new lifestyle, the 1st couple of months was overwhelming, but with determination we moved past it quickly. There was just no way either DH or I could continue to eat the foods we were eating anymore. There was no turning back...it had to be forward and onward. DH was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last September and I was pre-diabetic.

Just think of this lifestyle as just drastically cutting sugars/carbs because insullin resistance in both of us had taken hold. For me, one of my symptoms was getting heartburn/acid reflux/GERD. At 1st, when it started 6 yrs ago, it was only a couple of times a week and after a meal or two. It gradually snowballed from there. 

As for your question on what we eat now, answering it is complex. DH and I stick to a strict 50-60 carbs a day. I think for a simple overview for now, it is easier to tell you what we don't eat...

Again, because of carbs/sugars...we don't eat/drink the following:

1) Fruit juices

2) Most fruits (exceptions are - examples...DH and I will each have a cutie/manderin orange...or share an apple with a sandwich for lunch once or twice a week. We will also have certain low carb/low sugar berries...but no other fruits whatsoever. The worst fruits based on carbs/sugars sadly are bananas & grapes

3) Most dairy (exceptions we do use are butter, heavy whipping cream, non-processed cheeses)

4) 99.9% of baked goods

3 exceptions:...1-we do buy FatSnax cookies and keep them in the freezer. DH and I will share a pkg of 2 cookies about once a week

2-the only bread we eat is a sprouted flaxseed bread (we buy from a California bakery) to make sandwiches with or have as toast with eggs/sausage/etc. 3-baked goods we make ourselves with particular ingredients like almond or coconut flour and certain sugar substitutes that don't raise our blood sugar levels.

5) Cereals (the only exception is old fashioned Quaker Oats because it raises ones blood sugar slowly - and we look at it as a treat once or twice a month for a lunch)

6) we only use avacado oil, coconut oil, butter or bacon grease...no vegetable oils whatsoever 

...we also don't eat/buy foods that has any veg/soybean oils in the ingredients

7) NO pasta or rice

Some basics we do eat:

We average 5 salads a week

Eat meats/seafood/fish/eggs

Make our own baked goods using keto/low carb recipes online (there are oodles of recipes on Pinterest for almost anything low carb/keto)

Use Mission low carb wraps for making pizza and burritos

And we are diligent reading food labels. Most food manufacturers hide sugars/carbs. There are countless variations for sugars under different names in the list of ingredients for many food products.

Our dinner last night was crab cakes, a salad and a FatSnax lemon cookie for dessert...hope all this info helps Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have zero tolerance for the practice of shaming medication or someone's need to take it.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

It seems that this way of eating that claims to get you off meds is just the opposite of the diet posted by another poster that also claims to get you off meds. 

Honored Contributor

Good for you, @Susan Louise 

It's very clear you are not forcing anyone or claiming this will work for everyone, but you are enthusiastic about offering this information and if anyone wants to look into it, that's up to them.  This is worlds apart from stating this is the one-and-only way to live/eat/survive.  

And frankly, the whole "shaming" idea is out of left field.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Good for you, @Susan Louise 

It's very clear you are not forcing anyone or claiming this will work for everyone, but you are enthusiastic about offering this information and if anyone wants to look into it, that's up to them.  This is worlds apart from stating this is the one-and-only way to live/eat/survive.  

And frankly, the whole "shaming" idea is out of left field.

@GingerPeach  Bless your heart for being able to see this. You have brightened my day...thank you Smiley Happy