Honored Contributor

Re: CT scan for hip and pelvis?

@gidgetgh "

Can you still walk with a fractured hip?

"Limited mobility: Most people with a hip fracture can't stand or walk. Sometimes, it may be possible to walk, but it's extremely painful to put weight on the leg"
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   You may have 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@gidgetgh "

Can you still walk with a fractured hip?

"Limited mobility: Most people with a hip fracture can't stand or walk. Sometimes, it may be possible to walk, but it's extremely painful to put weight on the leg"

When my late mother-in-law fractured her hip, I called my Orthopedic friend. He told me to keep her off her feet and restrict the amount of movement in her hip.

He said even minor movement can worsen the fracture and make the injury much worse. To a point where replacement may be his only option. He added that the point of the fracture can make a big difference in "repair or needing replacement" also.

We kept her movement in that area to a minimum/called an ambulance, and had her taken to the ER. He did surgery on her hip and was able to repair the fracture.

She was 87 at the time and made a pretty complete recovery. She was able to go back to her weekend job, where she wanted to retire at 90. That is what she did. She died exactly 1 month prior to her 92nd birthday. Her hip however was never again a problem for her after her surgery.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)