Respected Contributor

CPAPS and pillows: opinions needed please

I have had my Cpap since March.  I love it because for the first time in my life, I am getting restorative sleep. I am using a nasal mask and it's comfortable. I get data every day on my mask seal and it's been good, but every morning I wake up with what I call " Cpap strap face". These marks can last all day and they even affect the side I don't sleep on. My mask , once again, is comfortable: it's not too tight. I have played around with pillows, and regrettably, I have found a couple of comfortable pillows, but they caused problems with my mask seal. Does anybody have any ideas for me? These are pretty deep indentations and I keep my face well moisturized-but I feel so self-conscious. Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Contributor

Re: CPAPS and pillows: opinions needed please

Did you know that there are covers that can be purchased to go over the straps to eliminate this problem?  If you go to any of the sites that sell CPAP equipment they should have them.  I'm not sure if Amazon does or not, but they might. 

Trusted Contributor

You may wish to speak with the company where you get your supplies.  The respiratory therapist that I deal with is extremely helpful in getting mine set up.  He also offered to bring out a large collection of masks, pillows, etc., for me to try if the original setup did not work.

Respected Contributor

Vacc I tried the strap covers. When I spoke to the therapist about pillows, they would not recommend any. I am really not happy with this particular local vender.  Thankfully, there are other medical supply houses that carry my machine and they accept my insurance. I can't believe that a medical supply company wouldn't be more well versed.....oh well....Thanks for responding,

Poodlepet2

Contributor

Poodlepet:  I am sorry you are having issues.  I also experience a bit of air leakage with my machine even though I use the smallest size air mask.  My indicator sometimes indicates that my mask seal is not ideal.  And I keep mine as tight as you do yours and you are right, the strap marks are not the thing you want to see first thing in the morning.  I will keep my eyes peeled and if I see anything else, I will let you know.  Have you looked at the National Sleep Foundation site to see if there is anyone there who might know of something.  (I know that they have forums for people who use CPAP/BIPAP machines.  (I use a bipap as my inhale and exhale are different and even with my machine my stats drop below where my pulmonologist would like them to be.)  It's always encouraging to hear something that appreciates the machine as I have seen so many complaints.  Sure, it takes some adjustment but it is so worthwhile.  Enough of my rambling.  I sometimes just try to turn at night until I get it just right also.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

Try using a silk pillowcase.

That is what I did for my husband.

My Mother had me sleeping on a silk pillowcase from a young age.

Respected Contributor

Vacc and Sister, thank you for the suggestions: I hadn't even thought about the National Sleep Foundation as a resource. That's an excellent idea!  As for the silk pillowcase, It might work, but it's funny that you mentioned it Sistergoldenhair....all year I have been meaning to buy one because women rave about the sickening effects it has on their hair and skin: now I have another good reason aside from vanity-to buy one

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Poodlepet2