Honored Contributor

COVID breakthrough cases mystery

[ Edited ]

A fully vaccinated 27 year old physical therapist, Hanna Rewerts, from the Orlando area, came down with COVID two months after her second Pfizer shot. OK,we know this can happen. There's that 5% or so that still got COVID during the clinical trials. Now here's the mystery. Her mother and two other members were also fully vaccinated and they did not live together in the same households. They were all vaccinated at different sites. These three other people also got COVID. One was hospitalized. All have since recovered. The health department has not released which vaccines they each were given. Looks like the health department will have to sequence the virus from their COVID test samples to determine whether a variant, or variants, was responsible for the three infections. If no variants are detected, some investigation into familial DNA or other genetic links will need investigation to determine why this occurred. 

My main source is local Orlando news called clockorlando dot com , it's the online news from a local TV network station. There are multiple reposting of the article from other Florida news networks.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: COVID breakthrough cases mystery

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting this. It is interesting. It is being estimated that the vaccine immunities last 3-6 months, similar to the flu vaccine. Maybe these people got together and one carrier spread it to the others. I know so many people who are now fully vaccinated and think they are immune. My relative who has an immune disorder is now planning a trip to NY City which is having a surge beginning. I think this is foolish but nobody asked me and if NY gets bad again, they'll shut it down before the relative has their trip. I just ordered some more Lutema masks which are the best I have found. Thank you to whomever on here recommended this made in USA brand. Five layers, but much more breathable and I can get the small size adult ones. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

A fully vaccinated 27 year old physical therapist, Hanna Rewerts, from the Orlando area, came down with COVID two months after her second Pfizer shot. OK,we know this can happen. There's that 5% or so that still got COVID during the clinical trials. Now here's the mystery. Her mother and two other members were also fully vaccinated and they did not live together in the same households. They were all vaccinated at different sites. These three other people also got COVID. One was hospitalized. All have since recovered. The health department had not released which vaccines they each were given. Looks like the health department will have to sequence the virus from their COVID test samples to determine whether a variant, or variants, was responsible for the three infections. If no variants are detected, some investigation into familial DNA or other genetic links will need investigation to determine why this occurred. 

@Mindy D   There is too much they don't know about these vaccines, which is why I refuse to get it. A lot of issues even death from the Vaccine are not being reported.  It is one big experiment IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Growing wrote:

Thank you for posting this. It is interesting. It is being estimated that the vaccine immunities last 3-6 months, similar to the flu vaccine. Maybe these people got together and one carrier spread it to the others. I know so many people who are now fully vaccinated and think they are immune. My relative who has an immune disorder is now planning a trip to NY City which is having a surge beginning. I think this is foolish but nobody asked me and if NY gets bad again, they'll shut it down before the relative has their trip. I just ordered some more Lutema masks which are the best I have found. Thank you to whomever on here recommended this made in USA brand. Five layers, but much more breathable and I can get the small size adult ones. 

@Growing Hanna has been tested weekly for work. She is still in quarantine. She says that they had minimal contact. This would not explain how three people are all in the fairly rare 5%. It could be just coincidence or maybe they share some genetics that render the vaccine less effective or not effective at all. They could all have been vaccinated from the same bad batch of vaccines that was spread among various vaccination sites on different days (? The days they were each vaccinated have not been released). Another option is that one of them was infected with one of the variants for which the vaccines are ineffective and that family member was infected with a more highly transmissible variant that the family member spread with only minimal contact between the family (Hanna has said they had only minimal contact. I don't know what this means, it is not specific).

It is not time to let our guard down now. 

Respected Contributor

There is a woman in our area who was fully vaccinated for a month and a half who got Covid a couple weeks ago.  She did feel bad enough to go to ER but did not require hospitalization and has recovered.  The health department was going to see if she had a variant but I haven’t heard anymore about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe  NIH  could fund another Function of gain research in Wuhan on these other strains 

Occasional Contributor

I have known of 3 people who had been fully vacinated and within a month also came down with the virus.  They fortunately have survived but becausae they were carriers and were told they did not have to quarantine (according to the new cdc guidelines) they  were able to transmit the virus.  What I am not understanding is IF (once fully vaccinated after a few weeks) we can still contract the virus and transmit the virus, why are we not required to quarantine?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mieles wrote:

I have known of 3 people who had been fully vacinated and within a month also came down with the virus.  They fortunately have survived but becausae they were carriers and were told they did not have to quarantine (according to the new cdc guidelines) they  were able to transmit the virus.  What I am not understanding is IF (once fully vaccinated after a few weeks) we can still contract the virus and transmit the virus, why are we not required to quarantine?

@mieles @I have a feeling that this could change in light of the variants. The physical therapist has been told to quarantine. I think it would be wise to assume that anyone fully vaccinated that has COVID after the three week time from vaccination should be told to quarantine while health department checks for known and new variants.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is on EXACTLY why the requirements for quarantining are lifted for post vaccination exposures.  It makes no sense since it's not known yet if a fully vaccinated person can not spread virus yet. We know spreading is less likely, from the ongoing Israeli real world testing, but the full picture  is still under investigation. 

@mieles See SillieeMee's post. She has one reason why. 

Honored Contributor

@mieles wrote:

I believe the reason not to quarantine is b/c a fully vaccinated person, if infected, carries a smaller viral load which might not be enough to be contagious. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope they get to the bottom of this one soon.

Edited to add another thought.

I hope this isn't due to infection with the S. African variant.