Regular Contributor

When I read the subject COTTAGE CHEESE, I was momentarily worried that the medical community would find something wrong with it. I've always loved cottage cheese. When I was a poor college student, cottage cheese was my staple. I would eat a carton of ge cheese a day and supplement with fruit. I eat it mostly for breakfast, but if I'm needing a little something, I do eat a small amount just before bedtime. 

Respected Contributor

I’ve always eaten it as a dip for crackers, or with pineapple. My son uses it in place of sour cream on tacos. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Regular Contributor

My favorite brand is Daisy. They also have a good sour cream. My favortie combination is cottage cheese, a dollup of sour cream and blackberries. Yum!

Honored Contributor

Re: COTTAGE CHEESE

[ Edited ]

My Mom would give me cottage cheese and canned peaches!!  Love it together to this day!  Heart 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor
I like cottage cheese but hate it with anything sweet. Blech. 🤣
I like it with cucumber and dill or with salsa.
Ketchup? Blech. 🤣
Trusted Contributor

Love cottage cheese by itself or with fruit, or on salad. It is Packed with protein.

Respected Contributor

A lot of cottage cheese is high in sodium, so be careful if you are watching your salt intake.  I love cottage cheese and by the Salt Free one.  I use eat it with pineapple or peaches or for breakfast, I smear it on toast.  

Honored Contributor

Hasn’t happened to me yet☹️

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

A lot of cottage cheese is high in sodium, so be careful if you are watching your salt intake.  I love cottage cheese and by the Salt Free one.  I use eat it with pineapple or peaches or for breakfast, I smear it on toast.  

When I used to be on Weight Watchers, I used to make "cheese danish" by putting cottage cheese, a sprinkle of sweetener and cinnamon on bread and putting it into a toaster oven.  Haven't thought about it in years, but it was good.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Gee, this has been fun!  Instead of just eating it the same old way, we've shared so many ideas - so it won't become a boring snack.  And if that study is right, we'll all be getting strong bones and losing weight as well.  Thanks for all your responses.Woman Happy

@Kachina624@, @Carmie:  I've never had apple butter.  Is it similar to applesauce in taste, but 'pasty' like butter?

Apple butter is made by cooking down apples with apple cider, sugar and spices.  It is cooked in a big kettle all day.  When it is done, it is like very dry, pasty applesauce.  The color is always dark brown.  My DH loves it.  It uses it on French toast and pancakes....never syrup.  His favorite brand is Musselmans. It does not taste like applesauce IMO, but it is good.  

I used to make it home made years ago in a sugar free version for my DH's father who was diabetic.  It's been quite a while and a am getting lazy, so we use store bought.

Lots of people make it in the crockpot today, but I have never done it that way.

25519D14-580F-4D20-A10E-07E264686CB1.jpeg

Oh, I haven't had Musselman's in years! I want some right now!