Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Just heard on the news that there was a study finding women who snack on cottage cheese before bedtime lost weight and had stronger bones.

I like mine with ketchup - wonder if that still counts?Woman Wink

@eddyandme

I'll go along with "good for the bones", but losing fat?  Under whose theory does that work?  Fat weight is not dependent on "what time one eats", it is more aligned with "what one eats, and how much". I eat what I consider my BIGGEST meal(?), last thing at night and I check in at 8% body fat.

Interesting read however, thank you for posting this.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

If the previous bedtime snack was something like cake, or maybe pizza.......cottage cheese would have fewer calories.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Gee, this has been fun!  Instead of just eating it the same old way, we've shared so many ideas - so it won't become a boring snack.  And if that study is right, we'll all be getting strong bones and losing weight as well.  Thanks for all your responses.Woman Happy

@Kachina624@, @Carmie:  I've never had apple butter.  Is it similar to applesauce in taste, but 'pasty' like butter?

@eddyandme.  No, it has spices in it and is about the same consistency as applesauce.....maybe slightly thicker.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Qcloudy

I grew up in CAlifornia and the cottage cheese I loved was Knudsen-which was dry.  Like that so much better than the wet stuff now.  Have you found any brands that are dry? 

Occasional Contributor

ketchup?!?!

Occasional Contributor

I luv cottage cheese with warm spaghetti sauce & parmesean cheese. My favorite way to eat it is with grape jelly or apricot jam. mmmmmm Too bad I'm out. 

Occasional Contributor

Same here. All the cc today is runny and small curds. I have even spent up to $7 on a pint to get good cc but its the same. The best I have ound is 4% Daisy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Just heard on the news that there was a study finding women who snack on cottage cheese before bedtime lost weight and had stronger bones.

I like mine with ketchup - wonder if that still counts?Woman Wink

@eddyandme

I'll go along with "good for the bones", but losing fat?  Under whose theory does that work?  Fat weight is not dependent on "what time one eats", it is more aligned with "what one eats, and how much". I eat what I consider my BIGGEST meal(?), last thing at night and I check in at 8% body fat.

Interesting read however, thank you for posting this.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, I agree with the theory wanna lose weight, put the fork down!  But cottage cheese is a fat and protein - both needed to lose weight.  Remember a few years ago it was fat-free this and fat-free that and many were gaining weight.  So this is a feasible study, I feel, so worth a try for me!  The news report stated the study will continue seeing how other foods affect our bodies.  Should be interesting!

Esteemed Contributor

@muggle731 wrote:

Same here. All the cc today is runny and small curds. I have even spent up to $7 on a pint to get good cc but its the same. The best I have ound is 4% Daisy. 

@muggle731 

Have you considered putting the cc into a strainer to get the liquid out?  I've done it with yogurt and it worked very well.

Trusted Contributor

I like cottage cheese served many of the ways suggested here, and there are some new ones I hadn’t heard of before!  Another suggestion someone introduced me to was to put on a dollop of canned sugar free cherry pie filling.  What a tasty treat!