Honored Contributor

What brands do you like?  I can't identify a specific brand but just to eat I like large curd that isn't in too much creamy liquid.  

Esteemed Contributor

Around here, MA, Hood is a biggie with the most flavor offerings.

Valued Contributor

I like cottage cheese with dried oregano.  Long ago I read that consuming dried oregano had a beauty benefit (can't remember what it was).  I didn't like the taste of cottage cheese and now I think it is weird  tasting without oregano.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Gee, this has been fun!  Instead of just eating it the same old way, we've shared so many ideas - so it won't become a boring snack.  And if that study is right, we'll all be getting strong bones and losing weight as well.  Thanks for all your responses.Woman Happy

@Kachina624@, @Carmie:  I've never had apple butter.  Is it similar to applesauce in taste, but 'pasty' like butter?

Apple butter is made by cooking down apples with apple cider, sugar and spices.  It is cooked in a big kettle all day.  When it is done, it is like very dry, pasty applesauce.  The color is always dark brown.  My DH loves it.  It uses it on French toast and pancakes....never syrup.  His favorite brand is Musselmans. It does not taste like applesauce IMO, but it is good.  

I used to make it home made years ago in a sugar free version for my DH's father who was diabetic.  It's been quite a while and a am getting lazy, so we use store bought.

Lots of people make it in the crockpot today, but I have never done it that way.

25519D14-580F-4D20-A10E-07E264686CB1.jpeg

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

What brands do you like?  I can't identify a specific brand but just to eat I like large curd that isn't in too much creamy liquid.  

Hood Cottage style. I don't like too much liquid either.I only eat this or the Hood with chives. I'll tolerate a little more liquid for the chive flavor.

Honored Contributor

I like it with pineapple or in lasagna.

Trusted Contributor

I love it with pineapple and a dollop of Hellmann's mayo ... yum! (Not low-cal with the mayo, but so good! Woman Wink)

Breakstone makes the little individual servings with the pineapple on the side which we load up on for me when on sale. We also get the Giant store brand in a tub and then I top a slice of canned pineapple with some of the cottage cheese and the mayo. My husband likes his plain which he has for breakfast most mornings.

(At Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. a favorite side dish is a lime jello salad made with lime jello, cottage cheese, lemon juice, crushed pineapple, and walnuts. It can also be made with Philly Cream Cheese and a little milk instead of the cottage cheese but I prefer the cottage cheese!)

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I like cottage cheese but I think it has alot of sodium and it's hard to find low salt versions around here.

@MoJoV  Do you have Safeway by  you?  Safeway has a no salt added 1% fat cottage cheese that I buy all the time.  

@SeaMaidenNo Safeway in the Chicago area. I wonder if our Jewels are Safeway.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Just bought a tub of cottage cheese at Costco today...l like it with red onions and peppers...

Trusted Contributor

Re: COTTAGE CHEESE

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Oh, I love the creamy kind.  Dean's Country Fresh is my favorite.  Very creamy.  I buy the small curd, lowfat variety, covered in lots of pepper.