Honored Contributor

Re: COQ10 - information from Andrew's October 2015 presentation

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I remember when Andrew first brought CoQ10 to his line of products. It was ubiquinol which is very expensive and from what I read is preferred to ubiquinone which is the new formulation & much, much cheaper.

Any thoughts from those of you who have tried both formulas?

HI @Snowpuppy, I posted my personal experience about this is the other wellness thread, so I've copied and pasted it below: 

I've taken both Andrew's ubiquinone as well as his ubiquinal (the AL is the more expensive one). 

The ubiquinal did have a subtle better effect... but not enough to justify a 400-500% price increase. 

For the past five years, Andrew had been very strongly recommending that people purchase his ubiquinONE. -- He feels it's a much better value. 

___

Here's the difference: 

* ubiquinal -- the COQ10 active version... which has to be protected in capsule form because it is very unstable

* ubiquinone -- I guess you could all it the resting form of COQ10... which is VERY shelf stable

Once you digest either version of COQ10, the COQ10 continues to recycle itself -- by bouncing back and forth between these two forms in your body -- as it does it's oxidative stress work and helps to mitachondria in your cells.

Once in your body, ubquinal turns into ubiquinone and then turns back into ubiquinal and then turns back into ubiqunione... and one and on until it finally exhausts itself.

___

I'd recommend that you get the largest size of the COQ10 TS size, especially because you can test drive it for 4 months to decide if it works for you or not. 

JUST MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A BIT OF FAT... or it WON'T work because your body won't be able to absorb it. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

P.S. On two occassions, I've attended conferences where the head of education for Kaneka COQ10 gave a lecture. I was fortunate to be able to speak to him after these presentations. -- He strongly felt that people who are over 40 should be taking the ubiquinal (instead of the ubiquinone). That said, I haven't been able to find compelling research that shows a significant improvement here... so until Andrew offers an equally good value on ubiquinal, I'm sticking with the ubiquinone. Of course, it would be more expensive (becasue ubiquinal is more expensive to manufacture) but I'm looking for a TS cost savings value. -- He actually did have a TS on ubiquinal about 4 years ago, which was when I tried it for about 8 months... but he never has  had another ubiquinal TS since then. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@vickie25 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I remember when Andrew first brought CoQ10 to his line of products. It was ubiquinol which is very expensive and from what I read is preferred to ubiquinone which is the new formulation & much, much cheaper.

Any thoughts from those of you who have tried both formulas?

It's been several years since I have taken Andrew's vitamins and have decided I need to start taking them again for my health and well being.Once I saw that Andrew had changed the source of his CoQ10, I did some research online.  Based on my research I decided to purchase his TruQ10 as that uses ubiquinol.

While your body can convert ubiquinone to ubiquinol once you hit 25 it gets more difficult and after 40 several sites said you need to use ubiquinol.  It is also recommended to use this form is you take statin drugs, which I do not.

from Mercola.com

What you may not know, however, is that to benefit from the form of the nutrient needed to produce cellular energy and help you reduce the typical signs of aging, your body must convert the ubiquinone to the reduced form of Coenzyme Q10, ubiquinol -- and research is showing that this reduced form may actually be superior for your health in a number of ways. Ubiquinol is actually a FAR more effective form of CoQ10

f you're under 25 years old your body is capable of converting CoQ10 from the oxidized to the reduced form. However, if you're older, your body becomes more and more challenged to convert the oxidized CoQ10 to ubiquinol.

With ubiquinol you can absorb CoQ10 that's already in the active state your body needs, which translates into proven health benefits. For instance, an animal study found that the reduced form of CoQ10 (ubiquinol) may be more effective at slowing down aging than the oxidized form (ubiquinone). Other studies have also shown distinct differences between the reduced form and oxidized form on markers of cholesterol metabolism and reducing oxidative stress.

There's also evidence that CoQ10/ubiquinol is beneficial for Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, and even cancer, and that large doses may be justified in those cases.

ConsumerLab.com Answers 

Question:
What is the difference between CoQ10 and ubiquinol?

Answer:
Only after you take CoQ10 does your body convert it to the active form, ubiquinol. Taking 100 mg of ubiquinol (sometimes labeled as CoQH-10 or CoQH2-10) compared to 100 mg of CoQ10 (known as ubiquinone), may yield a bit more active compound in your body. In short, you may be able to take a little less ubiquinol than CoQ10 to get the same result.

However, more important than whether you take CoQ10 or ubiquinol is that fact that both are fat-soluble compounds, so to significantly improve their absorption, it is important to take them with a fatty meal or in a formula that contains fats or other solubility enhancers.

I think everyone needs to decide for themselves what they feel is best for their circumstances .  The TruQ10 is signiticantly more expensive - 240 capsules + 240 capsules of B12 for $179.90 vs the TS CoQ10 600  capsules with VitaminD3 either 

1000 or 2000mg for $169.90.

@vickie25, thanks for sharing this info... especially the importance of having some fat in your meal when you take your COQ10. -- Without fat in that meal, as the saying goes, this COQ10 vitamin really is just making expensive u--ine... becasue your body won't be able to absorb it.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm going to try the TruQ10 (ordered today) because the regular COQ10 doesn't seem to be doing anything for me, even tried taking it twice a day.

I've read reviews by people who got good results with TruQ10 after COQ10 did not do anything noticeable and that is encouraging. With the extended return policy this is the best time to try it.

Trusted Contributor

its very hard to find kaneka coq10 but not so for ubiquinol.  you may want to look around for the best prices. 

Valued Contributor

Th ank you for sharing this valuable information , We all should take coq10h.

cathy from ma