Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLONOSCOPY PREP SUGGESTIONS

@Lisa Y 

@Lisa Y wrote:

@tends2dogs   I am having my first colonoscopy tomorrow and I'm nervous. Nervous about the prep, being sedated, and "what if" they find something.  
I was reading about the prep and I have been eating light as others have recommendedand am hopeful this evening goes well.

Good luck to both you and me. 

Had 6 already.  Last one age 83.  At that time I had a gastroe something, tube down throat and colonoscopy at same time.  Didn,t feel a thing.  They gave me fentenal.  I never ever felt anything with the colonoscopy.  The prep is worse.  You will be fine

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut   Thanks for your stamp of approval and well wishes.  Actually, my scope is Monday, the 17th. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Wednesday, the 12th is my Covid test.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

And I would let your doc know you would like the Miralax method.   It is much gentler on your system and works excellently! 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@hckynut   Thanks for your stamp of approval and well wishes.  Actually, my scope is Monday, the 17th. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Wednesday, the 12th is my Covid test.  

@tends2dogs 

I better check my other post. My appointment is also on the 17th.  Anyways, wish you the best results.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I think that´s what my sister got for her prep. I remember small bottles of liquid and glasses of water. I don´t mind the powder because Crystal Light makes it right lol.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The test itself was easy and not painful for me.  I have no problem with the prep using the Miralax method. 

My problem was with the 30+ trips to the bathroom, and the extreme weakness caused by that.  As other people have said, "Everyone is different."  I am over 70, and will try to convince my doctor to allow me to use Cologuard the next time I need the test.

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
I like my Suprep mixed with cold ginger ale, and drunk quickly thru a straw. As soon as I drink it, I chase it with strong sweet tea.

I so agree with eating lighter for 1-2 days before the prep; I personally don't eat beef or pork in the days before the prep. I have found heavier foods take longer to move thru the colon, which means far more trips to the bathroom.

Starting lighter means an empty colon is achieved much sooner, so this last time I was in good shape by the time I drank the second bottle of Suprep.

That Suprep is the absolute worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.  I had to call the doctor's office and switch "mid-stream".  I switched to Miralax.  It still makes me shutter!!!  Oh Ick!!!!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs , I've read your post and none of the others.

I had my procedure done last year and I was told at that time by the doctor that did the procedure that they are seeing more and more instances of colon cancer in younger people.  He blamed a lot of it on poor diet like red meats and processed foods. 

Anyhow, I was very lucky, if you can call it that, because this doctor used the Miralax method of prep.  I didn't have to drink any disgusting jugs of anything.  I had to take 4 Dulcolax pills that they provided and then about 4 hours later, I had to put Miralax powder in Gatorade and drink 32 oz. then a couple hours later I had to do the same thing.  I had to wake up 4 hours before my scheduled test and do that again. 

I was given a sheet of foods I needed to eliminate from my diet the week of my test and I had to be on an all liquid diet the day of my prep.  It was not bad at all.       

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs   This last time Zofran saved me. You need a prescription for this. It was developed for chemo patients for their nausea. It is a wonderful drug, couldn't have done it without it. I took it right before I started the prep. Ask your doctor about it.

Esteemed Contributor

Thinking of you @tends2dogs and hoping everything went well for you today.  ❤️

thinking of you 2.gif