Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLONOSCOPY PREP SUGGESTIONS

I have mine done every five years because the first time there were 3 polyps, five years later no polyps and last year November, no polyps

The procedure seemed to go by so fast. I remember talking with the Dr in my room and also remember being taken into the operating room. When I opened my eyes I was back in my room and the Dr was standing in the same spot. So I asked him if he changed his mind about doing the procedure and was shocked when he laughed and told me it was done. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I was fortunate my doctor used miralax to prep rather than the usual solution. Much easier to stomach. 

When I had my colonoscopy I also was given instructions for a Miralax prep. Easy.

But my new Doctor doesn't use that prep. I saw what my husband went through for his prep, I am ready to go back to the old Doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lisa Y  I know it´s easy for me to say not to be nervous. There are different preps available so it´s up to your Dr. 

I can tell you I was never scared and I´ve had it done  three times.

Please let us know of your experience once it´s over. Best wishes.

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

@tends2dogs   I am having my first colonoscopy tomorrow and I'm nervous. Nervous about the prep, being sedated, and "what if" they find something.  
I was reading about the prep and I have been eating light as others have recommendedand am hopeful this evening goes well.

Good luck to both you and me. 

Hang in there, @Lisa Y -- you're doing everything right, except for your worrying.  The sedation and procedure are easier than the prep.  And should the doctor find any polyps, they can usually be removed right during the procedure.  Take a deep breath and be relieved and grateful that you're able to have such an important test.

Esteemed Contributor

All this scare talk is just that.  I bet you have had worse done to you.

Last time they did MiraLax with some additional instructions.  Did not kill me, just had some moments.  They did do a couple snips up there that were uncomfortable for a couple of days.

What ever you do, do it very completely.  If they get in and see a mess, guess what?  You have to start all over.

Just plan a heck of a meal for after.

Trusted Contributor

Please be nice to me on this one

I am 62 years old and I have never has that procedure before, nor plan to make it in the future and I have my own "reason' if you will , I  explain.

Everytime I think of that operation (if you want to call it), memories do come to hunt me from my past life.

I shudder only for the though that something will "poke' me there.

C......... has saved lives and will continue doing,  but I may be the only one that doent wish to make it for my own reasons.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Trusted Contributor

@Sage04   Thank you for your kind words. I didn't know there were different preps available. I'm supposed to take 4 laxative pills between 5-6:00 tonight, followed by a bottle of Citrate of Magnesia an hour after the tabs. Tomorrow morning, 5 hours before the colonoscopy, I have to drink the other bottle of Citrate and a glass of water.  We'll see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞🏻

Super Contributor

I would eat a little healthier a few days before, but I wouldn't go hungry or crazy with my diet.    Eat plenty to satisfy you without gorging on pizza or other decadent foods.   But don't go crazy stifling your eating so like you feel like you are on those first few days of a diet.  You will only increase the days of misery, unnecessarily so.

i had the kind of prep I only had to do starting the night before the procedure so it wasn't the nightmare of weakness and bathroom visits I have heard before.  I ate normal until time to start the test but when I started the test I did NO CHEATING. It makes the test go much easier and smoother for you and the doctor cause your system is clear.   

Dont  overthink it. And please don't starve yourself heading into it.  It is not necessary nor helpful.   It's only one night and you may find it's not really that bad.   They have vastly improved prep from prior years.    

As for the test, I never knew a thing and it was over in what seemed like a flash.  No side effects afterward for me either.     It's really not bad at all.    There are a LONG list of things much worse we put our bodies through! 

Respected Contributor

The last time I had it done I had to drink a gallon of liquid which I added lemon Crystal Light to (half at one time and the other half a couple hours later).  I also made sure the liquid prep was cold and used a straw to drink it with so I could get it past the taste buds.   The time before that I had the magnesium citrate stuff and I remember that was very salty but I didn’t have to drink as much as the gallon.   I actually felt great when it was all done and over with even though I hadn’t gotten much sleep the night before and was only put out for 20 minutes. 

Respected Contributor

@Dinakiask your Doctor about the stool test. No poking involved.