Respected Contributor

CLEANLINESS...Where art thou ? .? ?........

Over the last few days I watched several different cooking shows and was amazed in a bad way:  male and female cooks handled all types of foods with their rings on.  They didn't take them off and clean them between preparing different foods.  So unappetizing and unhealthy:  haven't they heard of cross contamination ?

Wonder if they cleaned their rings BEFORE they started out?

what a bad example they are setting for new cooks.  To a show, when I saw the gunk on the cook's rings, off went the remote to another channel.  Don't think I actually saw a program through to the end product !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Re: CLEANLINESS...Where art thou ? .? ?........

I'm not really sure about the cross contamination from rings.  I don't wear my rings when I cook only because it bothers me.  If their hands are clean I think the rings would be, too.  What really bothers me are the rubber gloves.  Food preparers wear them as if no matter what they handle it's okay if they have the gloves on.  They don't even understand they are for sanitary purposes.  They would be better off to use their bare hands and keep them clean.  The rubber gloves are worthless in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

If someone is preparing chicken for example, cuts and cleans it and splits it for stuffing, those rings will get splattered with chicken juice and that's the worst for contamination.  I can definitely see rings being contaminated by all kinds of food.  I am always washing my hands with soap while preparing meals and I take mine off while cooking as well..... absolutely.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I never remove my wedding rings when I cook - if I wash my hands I feel the rings get clean as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I always wear my wedding band.  It never comes off.  Now, my diamond engagement ring, if I wore it regularly, would likely be removed if I were making meatloaf, for instance.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The hair is what gets me! Sometimes I turn the show off because of it. The judges are always so picky about presentation of the food - why don't they insist of presentation of the chefs?  In what professional establishment would the chefs or cooks be allowed to have long hair hanging in front of them. It's disgusting.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Over the last few days I watched several different cooking shows and was amazed in a bad way:  male and female cooks handled all types of foods with their rings on.  They didn't take them off and clean them between preparing different foods.  So unappetizing and unhealthy:  haven't they heard of cross contamination ?

Wonder if they cleaned their rings BEFORE they started out?

what a bad example they are setting for new cooks.  To a show, when I saw the gunk on the cook's rings, off went the remote to another channel.  Don't think I actually saw a program through to the end product !

I do understand what you're saying, but you're ignoring the fact that this food is for demonstrations only .... no one actually EATS the stuff.

In most cases, when a recipe is made on air, at the end of the show, they usually bring out another "finished product" that was made earlier .... and that's what the demonstrators will eat, if they eat it at all.

(This is totally different than a show where, for instance, the host is showing a finished product ... like the QVC food shows.)

Trusted Contributor

Bear in mind that most of the people cooking on television are presenting on television first.  They are drressed, made up, have their hair done, etc., because that is what is expected of televisoin hosts.

Additionally, much of the behind-the-scenes activity (such as handwashing) is edited out.  How boring would that be to watch people wash their hands repeated.

Oh, and perhaps most important of all, they are cooking for television cameras.  With the exception of judges, they are not cooking for other people.  They are not cooking for you or me or the general pulic.  how they behave on teevison does not, in any way, affect how food will be cooked in our own kitchens.

Honored Contributor

As Sweetbay just said, mixing something like meatloaf is the only time I remove my rings.  If I took my rings off every time I cooked, I probably would have lost them by now.

But I agree, these cooking shows aren't sanitary enough, IMO.  Sometimes they don't even rinse their hands, they just wipe with a dish cloth.  The worst are talk shows that do a cooking segment and the host 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

Bear in mind that most of the people cooking on television are presenting on television first.  They are drressed, made up, have their hair done, etc., because that is what is expected of televisoin hosts.

Additionally, much of the behind-the-scenes activity (such as handwashing) is edited out.  How boring would that be to watch people wash their hands repeated.

Oh, and perhaps most important of all, they are cooking for television cameras.  With the exception of judges, they are not cooking for other people.  They are not cooking for you or me or the general pulic.  how they behave on teevison does not, in any way, affect how food will be cooked in our own kitchens.

I believe this is true. However, they are representing their professionalism.  I'm watching Cupcake Wars today, and as usual, there is long hair hanging everywhere. If I walked into a shop and saw the baker with hair hanging, or even the counter person, I would walk right out the door.

~ house cat ~