Honored Contributor

I would ask for something else. Even if it means going to a walk in clinic and explaining that you want to be off of the Cipro!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

My doctor put me on CIPRO  for an ear infection but i think i have Shingles.  I've had bad head and neck pain on left side for almost 2 weeks, my left ear is red, swollen and painful and ther's a wierd scab just inside my ear where it dips in.   So painful!   He even saw the patch in my ear where a scab formed.

On Cipro for 2 days now, i can't sleep, nervous, jittery. i'm stopping it, after the dose i took at 9:00pm and it's now 2:00AM

Dr says oh yes make sure you have yogurt or something to help with your gut flora and get Pepcid for heartburn !  NO no no not with Cipro. No calcium!   ugh i'm really bummed out how could he get this so wrong!

@CatsyCline It made me totally goofy.  I had to get off of it when I took it many years ago.  My mother took it a few months later, called me one day and said "I'm standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open and I don't know why.  Is it that medicine?"

Yep!  

Me too!  I took it years ago.  I was hallucinating & sleepwalking.  Never again.  I have it in my medical records listed under allergies.

Respected Contributor

OP here.

Scary night.  only dozed here and there.  my heart just raced  and raced then went back to normal and raced again. deep breaths helped a bit.  had  nothing with caffeine for 3 days..

i called my dr. office but he's tied up all day. .  the staff will get a message to him.  i have about 10 Zovirax tablets from 2 years ago he gave for my cold sores that pop up sometimes.

Thinking about starting on the Zovirax (is also used as shingles med).   

My Mom got Shingles once where at first she was treated for an ear infection but turned out to be shingles.

Super Contributor

My late mother experienced kidney failure/damage due to CIPRO. It was a big no/no from that point forward and I had to instruct medical personnel to avoid prescribing any drugs from that family. It is horrible stuff.

Honored Contributor

Re: CIPRO!! Horrible

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline 

Obviously Cipro is not the right drug for you, and since it's Friday, I would be getting a different drug before the weekend starts, or plan on a trip to ER or a walk in clinic.   

I think your Dr is correct with a diagnosis of infection; that redness, swelling, and the big scab makes me think along the lines of staph or MRSA.  You need an antibiotic, and a strong one at that.  Cipro was a good choice to fight a bacterial infection, but not everyone can tolerate it.  The not sleeping, nervous, jittery feeling can also be coming from the bad infection that's building in that side of your head.  

I wouldn't be wasting time getting a second antibiotic in my system.

Super Contributor

Cipro and other flux drugs can and will give tendon issues so be very careful.  It IS a horrible drug!

Honored Contributor

Cipro is quite strong for an ear infection, I have had several but never taken Cipro, only used that for a UTI. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, my son took Cipro for a UTI a couple of years ago and had a terrible reaction.  Although he did NOT take it on an empty stomach, it caused constant vomiting.  He stopped the drug, but the vomiting continued for a week at which point he ended up in the ER weak and dehydrated.  They kept him overnight on an IV to re-hydrate.  It took a couple of months for his digestive system to get back to normal, and that included prescription meds to heal his stomach lining. Scary drug.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: CIPRO!! Horrible

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline @Call the doctor's office and describe those symptoms. You might have something else, Cipro is the wrong antibiotic for the organism you are infected with or Cipro is just not right for you. This happens, especially when it's not possible to take a culture. 

Frequent Contributor

family dr or ent?  I had a bad ear infection last summer, my family doctor didn't treat it properly and it took an ent almost 2 months to get rid of it.