Respected Contributor

Has anyone had CEREC crowns done?  These are ceramic crowns made in your dentist office and the process is completed in one visit.  I have always had porcelain crowns done where they are made in a lab, and I have to wear temporary crowns for a couple of weeks until the porcelain crown comes in.  Just wondering your experiences with them.  

Super Contributor

I had one done 12 years ago!!! Easy Process. Unfortunately, the tooth underneath began to rot, so I had to go another route.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  It is all my dentist does....so nice having no temporary crown to deal with....go home with everything done in one visit! Perfect fit every time.

Honored Contributor

My dentist must be old school, never heard of this. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dentist does it and no problems. Nice to only have to make one visit.

Honored Contributor

I had my last replacement crown done this way.  It was wonderful!  One visit, no temporary crown, and best of all, because the new crown was made to the exact measurements as the old one there was no need for any adjustments--it was exactly the same as my old crown.

Unfortunately, some years later I got a bad jaw infection and that tooth had to come out completely.  However, knowing the history of that particular tooth, I highly doubt it had anything to do with the new crown.

I'd recommend the process if your dentist does it.

Esteemed Contributor

One thing to consider is the tightness of the edge to the tooth.  Only gold can be smoothed down.  Other less malleable materials can't.  

Super Contributor

I don't know if they are CEREC, but my dentists 3D prints his crowns in office. I did have to have a temp, because his office is really busy, and it takes about 6-8 hours to print and cure the crown. So, I had to come back a week later to get the permanent crown put on. So far, so good, but it has only been a year.

Honored Contributor

Re: CEREC crowns

[ Edited ]

The only crown that I have was made this way. I chewed a tootsie roll  several months later, and it lifted off. I was able to take the crown and have it refitted. No issues since.

I no longer chew anything sticky on the side. 

Honored Contributor

It is not unusual for a crown to fall out and need to be recemented.