Honored Contributor

CDC says it's too early to blame romaine for Ecoli outbreak

Honored Contributor

Re: CDC says it's too early to blame romaine for Ecoli outbreak

@cherry I had just finished 3 heads of romaine when the news first came out.  No problems in the house unless you count 2 colds which I can't imagine being at all related to e coli,  but I did buy spinach instead of romaine for my next greens.   And who really knows if that's any safer although I did finish a whole bag already with no issues.

Hope they solve the mystery soon.  I do love fresh green leafy.veggies.

Honored Contributor

It could still be in the food chain. They have no idea what it is for sure

Trusted Contributor

I hope they find the cause soon.  Romaine is my favorite lettuce.  I miss my salads, but not enough to risk getting sick.  

Respected Contributor

Very scary.  The article says Canadian authorities "traced it to romaine."  But CDC says not everyone had romaine.  Wow.  That really gives you confidence - NOT.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

At the moment I am not buying my spring mix container anymore.. it has romaine and a bunch of other leafy lettuces.. i am concerned about it being some other leafy green and since these blends are so popular and so many people eat them, it may be something like these package blends..... and not romain at all...

So right now I am using a head of iceburg lettuce... adding a package of spinach and grinding up my own fresh kale. I add broccoli slaw to this and it is a pretty good salad.

I know even these could be  suspect( packaged spinach was a issue a year or so ago) but I think it is safer than using a blend or 6 or 7 leafy things until something is narrowed down....

Honored Contributor

I always wash the greens well even if they say washed on the package.I even add a little vinegar to the first wash hoping to kill some bacteria.We haven't been sick yet but that doesn't mean we just haven't been lucky so far.I think it stinks when we are not told of potential health concerns as soon as there is a suspicion...so many people with health problems that need to be aware that something they eat could be devastating.

Honored Contributor

@dex-

I never thought of washing with a little bit of vinegar (I do use it for cleaning and the washing machine)for help with washing greens! I'll try that next time.

But after I finish this iceburg lettuce

(yes I know its the wrong side of the tracks lettuce but I like itWoman Very Happy) I think I won't get any for awhile!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@dex-

I never thought of washing with a little bit of vinegar (I do use it for cleaning and the washing machine)for help with washing greens! I'll try that next time.

But after I finish this iceburg lettuce

(yes I know its the wrong side of the tracks lettuce but I like itWoman Very Happy) I think I won't get any for awhile!

vineger will not kill e coli.