Honored Contributor

CDC listeria outbreak warning

[ Edited ]

H

Illustration with a triangle and exclamation mark and text reading Food Safety Alert

Posted December 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM ET

CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections linked to hard-boiled eggs.

Advice for Retailers, Food Service Operators, and Consumers
Illustration of a clipboard with check marks on it.

At A Glance

Photo of hard-boiled eggs.

CDC is concerned that bulk, fresh hard-boiled eggs produced by Almark Foods of Gainesville, Georgia, are contaminated with Listeria and have made people sick. These products were packaged in plastic pails for use nationwide by food service operators. These products have not been recalled. However, because Listeria can cause severe infections, CDC is warning against selling, serving, or using these eggs to make other food products.

Retailers and food service operators should know who supplies their bulk hard-boiled eggs. Consumers will not be able to tell if products they’ve purchased from stores contain these eggs, so it is important that people at higher risk for Listeria infections follow the advice listed below.

Advice for retailers and food service operators:

• Retailers and food service operators should not use bulk hard-boiled eggs produced at the Almark Foods Gainesville, Georgia facility, regardless of use-by date.
    • These eggs were peeled, hard-boiled, and packaged in plastic pails of various sizes.
  • Food processors and manufacturers should not use these eggs to make ready-to-eat foods, such as egg salad, deviled eggs, or salads.
  • These fresh hard-boiled eggs were packaged in plastic pails and have a 49-day shelf-life.
  • Wash and sanitize any surfaces that may have come in contact with the eggs or the pail packaging. Listeria can easily spread to other foods and surfaces.
  • Retailers and food service operators should be aware of the following:

Advice for people at higher risk for Listeriainfection, such as pregnant women and their newborns, adults ages 65 or older, and people with weakened immune systems, such as people with cancer or on dialysis:

• Until we learn more, CDC advises that people at higher risk for Listeria infectionthrow away any store-bought hard-boiled eggs or products containing hard-boiled eggs, such as egg salad.
    • If you have these products at home, don’t eat them. Throw them away, regardless of where you bought them or the use-by date.
    • Wash and sanitize drawers or shelves in refrigerators and freezers where the products were stored. Follow these five steps to clean your refrigerator.
    • This advice does not include eggs hard-boiled at home or homemade products made with those eggs, such as egg salad or deviled eggs.
  • If you buy products with hard-boiled eggs, or order or eat items with hard-boiled eggs at a restaurant:
    • Before you buy, order, or eat, confirm with the store or restaurant that they do not use hard-boiled eggs produced by Almark Foods.
    • If they use hard-boiled eggs produced by Almark Foods, don’t buy or order the product.
    • If they don’t know where their hard-boiled eggs are from, don’t buy or order the product.
  • People at higher risk for Listeria infection are much more likely than the general public to get sick after eating a food contaminated with this bacteria.
Latest Outbreak Information

• Seven people infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes have been reported from five states.
    • Four hospitalizations have been reported. One death has been reported from Texas.
  • Epidemiologic and laboratory evidenceindicates that bulk hard-boiled eggs from Almark Foods are a likely source of this outbreak.
  • This investigation is ongoing to determine the source of contamination and if additional products are linked to illness.
  • CDC will provide updates when more information is available.
Symptoms of Listeria Infection

• Listeriosis can cause different symptoms, depending on the person and the part of the body affected.
    • Pregnant women typically experience only fever and other flu-like symptoms, such as fatigue and muscle aches. However, infections during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery, or life-threatening infection of the newborn.
    • People other than pregnant women: Symptoms can include headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, and convulsions in addition to fever and muscle aches.
  • People with invasive listeriosis usually report symptoms starting 1 to 4 weeks after eating food contaminated with Listeria; some people have reported symptoms starting as late as 70 days after exposure or as early as the same day of exposure.
  • Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics.
Investigation ll provide updates when more information is available

quoted from

https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/eggs-12-19/index.html

Hi All. I think many are not catching a key point in this. These eggs are not sold directly to consumers in stores. They are sold in bulk to places such as grocery stores. Then the stores use them in prepared deli salads such as potato salad. Right now, there is not enough information as to which stores are using the eggs and whether and no salad has been identified as contaminated but you should be aware that these contaminated eggs could show up in stores and restaurants in other products. This outbreak goes all the way back to 2017 and is still ongoing. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CDC listeria outbreak warning

[ Edited ]

Posted December 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM ET

People infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes, by state of residence, as of December 17, 2019 (n=7)

Map of United States - People infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria, by state of residence, as of December 17, 2019.

Table showing the number of ill people arranged by state of residence.State Ill People

Florida

Maine

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Total7

https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/eggs-12-19/index.html

Esteemed Contributor

Every day it's something else!! Is there anything left that we can eat that's safe!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Every day it's something else!! Is there anything left that we can eat that's safe!!

@NicksmomESQ 

Beats me! I plan on eating the same and living my life. I'll leave it up to others to post or read the many threads just like this one. 

If and when I get feeling "not like myself", I will have my doctor check me out.

Wasn't it Alfred E. Neuman that said: "What, me worry"?  That's  been my motto most of my adult life, until I actually know I have something that seriously deserves my full attention.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I loathe hard boiled eggs so no problem for me!

Honored Contributor

Hard to believe anyone BUYS HARD BOILED EGGS? So easy to just make your own. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I know!!  

I saw them in my local grocery store recently.  For some reason, just looking at them grossed me out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the alert.  I'm OK.....we don't eat eggs. My diet has kept me (and family) healthy for decades. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Thanks for the alert.  I'm OK.....we don't eat eggs. My diet has kept me (and family) healthy for decades. 

@phoenixbrd if you buy deli salads that contain hard boiled eggs you could be at risk. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Thanks for the concern.  We are ok....I don't buy premade food (like deli salads) and very few processed foods.  But I appreciate the warning, especially for others that might be reading this post.Heart

@Mindy D wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd if you buy deli salads that contain hard boiled eggs you could be at risk.