Respected Contributor

Re: CDC: Ebola Worst-Case Scenario Has More Than 500,000 Cases

On 10/1/2014 woodyend said:

Ironies of ironies didn’t I just see a thread supporting a care giver who didn’t want a vaccine that helps prevent her from spreading the flu to sick patients in the hospital? Now that is something that scares me.

That is because some of us do our homework and know another way which is non toxic or the risk, that also can protect ourselves.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/1/2014 hopeQ1 said:
On 10/1/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Ebola is treatable in our country, please don't forget that. Actually, most people do not die from the Ebola virus, but rather from the side effects such as diarrhea,vomiting, which leads to acute dehydration and electrolyte imbalance and such.

If you can treat the accompanying symptoms, you can eradicate the disease. The problem in third world countries is that they just don't have the proper medical care or personnel to do this.

Fresh water is vital to do this as well.

We don't have much to worry about. Just be aware of the symptoms and I think anyone in America would seek medical care if they were profusely bleeding from their skin, which is a big symptom.

Banning people is ridiculous.

We aren't discussing the bubonic plague here. lol !

I can't believe most of the remarks here. We live in the safest, most advance medically, healthiest country in the world here.

I suppose most of you panicking still feel the same way about AIDS ? Should we shut down airplanes if someone with AIDS flies on them, and put the ambulances out of order as well ???

I can not believe the ignorance still in this country.

If you are afraid, or not knowledgeable, your first line of defense is to educate yourself !!There are thousands of sources and resources everywhere. Don't remain uninformed and then go around making ludicrous comments.

This disease may kill half a million in Africa by early next year, and your trite comment is that "we're not talking about bubonic plague here"? Well, we are talking about a deadly, highly contagious disease. Yes, advanced medical treatment in the U.S. should improve survival rates, but there is no guarantee, and it is a wretchedly miserable disease that will cause many deaths. And no, effectively treating the symptoms will not "eradicate the disease", although it may improve an individual patient's chances of survival. As of now, there is no cure and no vaccine to prevent the disease.

How is it transmitted? Read the CDC's own information:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

There are high risk forms of contact with people with ebola, and there are lower risk forms of contact that are less likely to spread the disease, but still make it possible in some cases. These include informal encounters like shaking hands and passing within three feet of an ill person. Public health teams in Texas are working overtime to try and track all of the people who may have had contact with the African visitor who has become ill there. They include people on his plane, airports where the plane stopped over and landed, the family and friends he was visiting with here, hospital staff who saw him when he went to the ER, and possibly others. It's a very serious challenge. If they miss one contact and that person becomes ill and spreads the virus to others, it could be catastrophic.

It is my opinion that all non-essential travel between west Africa and the United States should be terminated until this health crisis is past. It isn't about "banning people". It's about banning a disease and the deadly virus that causes it.

Super Contributor

Ironies of ironies didn’t I just see a thread supporting a care giver who didn’t want a vaccine that helps prevent her from spreading the flu to sick patients in the hospital? Now that is something that scares me.

One Doctor on TV said that even if there was a vaccine available
that there are many parents would not give it to their children..
Valued Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Javala-la said:
On 10/1/2014 woodyend said: <p class="MsoNormal">Ironies of ironies didn’t I just see a thread supporting a care giver who didn’t want a vaccine that helps prevent her from spreading the flu to sick patients in the hospital? Now that is something that scares me.

That is because some of us do our homework and know another way which is non toxic or the risk, that also can protect ourselves.

For over a year I had intense treatment for stage 3 cancer, radiation, chemo, multiple hospitalizations, and multiple surgeries so this is very personal to me.

Respected Contributor

An epidemiologist or a doctor today on CNN said that the ebola virus can live on surfaces, they were not sure how long. If there is a tiny break in the skin anyone could be at risk. And the virus can have the potential to mutate as it replicates among those infected. The spiraling outbreak in West African countries may be due to mutations. We do not know. So the medical community cannot guarantee 100% that it is only transmitted via body fluids. The doctor who became ill, Brantly, said he was not certain how he became ill. He was wearing a complete hazmat suit and visiting with a family, one or more were ill with Ebola. He suspected the virus passed through a break in the suit onto his skin.

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Javala-la said:
On 10/1/2014 woodyend said: <p class="MsoNormal">Ironies of ironies didn’t I just see a thread supporting a care giver who didn’t want a vaccine that helps prevent her from spreading the flu to sick patients in the hospital? Now that is something that scares me.

For over a year I had intense treatment for stage 3 cancer, radiation, chemo, multiple hospitalizations, and multiple surgeries so this is very personal to me.

I also had Breast cancer did the whole things at Bellevue Hos. fall 1996 I survived but I was one of the ones that who had no energy so my life for the next to 2012 I was just existing and I than I took the situation into my own hands and tried other avenues now I have my life back at the age of 70 this started when I was 53.

I had a good oncologist God bless him he was a one on one doctor. What is missing was afterwards was to educate the patient they need to build up the immune system.

Even why you are going through this because the bode still needs lots of nutrients to be able to do it job in mending and repairing this really should be a part of their program or send the patient off to another person who specialized in natural recovery.

mine was almost 9 cm but my lymph nodes were good but they took them out anyways, I wish they would have left them in but that is how they did it in NY.

I pray that you will soon be cancer free. and if you don't get your bounce back to investigate things that will restore your vitality, hoping that your doctor will see the importance.

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Javala-la said:

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa could spread to hundreds of thousands more people by the end of January, according to an estimate under development by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that puts one worst-case scenario at 550,000 or more infections.

The report, scheduled to be released next week, was described by two people familiar with its contents who asked to remain anonymous because it isn’t yet public. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-19/ebola-worst-case-scenario-has-more-than-500-000-cases.html

Until they start excepting "medical doctors" in their culture, it is going to be hard to prevent the spread of this, as is was for other diseases where their "medicine men" always told them to stay away form these "real doctors".

As far as the USA? I think they should think about banning everyone coming from that country that is not a US Citizen. They have no "rights" to enter the country and the worst for them could be an "inconvenience". I say wait till they understand and are able to do more about the spread in these countries in Africa and concern themselves with the safety of the citizens of this country.

Like many other "outbreaks" in other countries way too many here get way more worried about it than I see as necessary. There again, everyone has their own "worry point", and mine is that I don't worry until I know I have a problem and then I concern myself with what I have to do to beat it. Of course I do what I can to avoid contracting any disease and that is what I consider being "proactive" for my own health.

This Ebola is not that easy to contract from all the knowledgeable doctors I have heard speaking about it, including 2 in our city where the 3rd person to contract it was sent home saying he was well. The fluids from an infected person have to be "secreted" from this person in order for it to be spread. Things like blood/p and poop, not carbon dioxide they exhale.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 hckynut said:
On 9/20/2014 Javala-la said:

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa could spread to hundreds of thousands more people by the end of January, according to an estimate under development by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that puts one worst-case scenario at 550,000 or more infections.

The report, scheduled to be released next week, was described by two people familiar with its contents who asked to remain anonymous because it isn’t yet public. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-19/ebola-worst-case-scenario-has-more-than-500-000-cases.html

Until they start excepting "medical doctors" in their culture, it is going to be hard to prevent the spread of this, as is was for other diseases where their "medicine men" always told them to stay away form these "real doctors".

As far as the USA? I think they should think about banning everyone coming from that country that is not a US Citizen. They have no "rights" to enter the country and the worst for them could be an "inconvenience". I say wait till they understand and are able to do more about the spread in these countries in Africa and concern themselves with the safety of the citizens of this country.

Like many other "outbreaks" in other countries way too many here get way more worried about it than I see as necessary. There again, everyone has their own "worry point", and mine is that I don't worry until I know I have a problem and then I concern myself with what I have to do to beat it. Of course I do what I can to avoid contracting any disease and that is what I consider being "proactive" for my own health.

This Ebola is not that easy to contract from all the knowledgeable doctors I have heard speaking about it, including 2 in our city where the 3rd person to contract it was sent home saying he was well. The fluids from an infected person have to be "secreted" from this person in order for it to be spread. Things like blood/p and poop, not carbon dioxide they exhale.

...sneezing with in 3 ft I heard, open cuts touching where the virus was parked, like door nobs etc... with this going on no one knows for sure in their daily travels who was there before them even simple things like a shopping cart.

I am sorry there are just too many questions

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 annabellethecat said:

Hello Java.....was wondering where you were. We often think alike....I don't believe anything anyone says. I listen to all of it and decide what I want to believe.

I'm lucky, I don't work so I'm not out in the public unless I want to be (sometimes I don't go out for days). My family is out there and I worry about them.

You are very wise. I often think you are ignored too often. I don't think you believe everything you read either, do you?

Sorry they took down my reply

Respected Contributor

Wow...so Ebola is in this country. Not good, not good at all. I hope that person gets better. Thanks for letting us know, Javala-la.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder