Trusted Contributor

CBD ROLL-ON OIL FOR KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS

I had my right knee replaced in 10/19 and now need the left knee replaced.

The surgeon gave me a Hymovis gel injection (2) last July and told me it was effective for 6 months.  It's now 6 months and I'm beginning to eperience some pain.

I'm not ready to schedule my knee replacement at this time (COVID concerns with a # of people coming in and out of my home after surgery including a caregiver) so I'm looking for some therapeutic natural temporary "fix" to keep my knee as functional as possible in the interim.  

Am not willing to use any OTC or prescription pain med as the side effects exceed their benefit for me. (I've used them in the past).

CBD (roll-on oil) has been reccommended  (and OK'd by my surgeon).

Has anyone used the roll-on or any other CBD product to deal with osteo pain and found it successful?

Honored Contributor

Re: CBD ROLL-ON OIL FOR KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS

@pdlinda 

My wife had her Right TKR also in 10/19. I can't answer your question, but my wife's Left knee is bone on bone also. When she asks me? I ask her if she wants me to call our friend Sam, who is her surgeon. She always says " never mind".

My suggestion to you is the same as I say to my wife, " talk to your surgeon". 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I DID talk to my surgeon.  He told me he heard good things about using a CBD roll-on and suggested I research it and use it if I thought it might help me.

Valued Contributor

@pdlinda 

Talk to CS at Charlotte’s Web dot com and they will offer suggestions.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@pdlinda I've known a few people who swear by it for helping with pain. I think it depends on what type of pain you're targeting,  and, of course, the severity.

What the heck would it hurt to give it a try?  Even if it just helps a little, sometimes a little pain relief can keep you going, which is better than nothing at all. 

Honored Contributor

I take it orally and my husband has taken it topically and we find it helpful. We also used Charlotte's Web. 

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

I DID talk to my surgeon.  He told me he heard good things about using a CBD roll-on and suggested I research it and use it if I thought it might help me.

@pdlinda 

Were it me, and I had talked to Sam and he said "I have heard good things about it"? My research would be over.  Needless to say I trust all my doctors implicitly, even the ones that are not family or very close friends. 

I haven't read any further than your reply, that is not how I do it on these forums. Soon as I post this reply, I will read the others.

Hopefully you find something to help with your pain until you are able to get your TKR on your Left knee.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

With physician's ok, perhaps Voltaren will help. Now sold OTC I think. Ask your pharmacist and consult your doctor because there are known side effects. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions!  

After looking into all of them, I think my best bet is to try icing and elevating the knee as much as I can and "babying" it as much as possible for as long as possible.

The possible side effects from CBD and Voltaren are discouraging me from using them because I fear those might be worse than what I'm experiencing right now.

I hope to succeed with this plan until such time (hopefully months) when the COVID situation stabilizes and allows me to get the knee replaced in a safer environment that exists today.

Thanks to all for the feedback and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Respected Contributor

I use marijuana roll on cream it works great for a few

hours.