Respected Contributor

CATARACT SURGERY ...NO WORRY, ALL GOOD!

I had cataract surgery, 8 days ago. It was an easy, quick procedure, and I can already see much clearer than before.

The pesky part are the eye drops 4x a day, for 5 weeks, but, so worth it. Glad I did it!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CATARACT SURGERY ...NO WORRY, ALL GOOD!

May I ask, was your surgery done with a laser or a scalpel? I think my ophthalmologist does it with a laser, but a neighbor said he opted for the scalpel because Medicare didn't cover it. I was thinking......huh. Interesting. 

Super Contributor

@Flatbush I am so happy for you! Glad you had a great experience. 

My vision just kept getting better and better post-surgery. Hope the same for you!Heart

Honored Contributor

I had both eyes done in the last 9 months. I used Compounded eye drops, so I only had one bottle to work with, and the amount of doses got reduced each week down to once a day .  The hospital gave me the 3 bottles for free, but I paid $40 for the compounded ones, so worth it !!

Respected Contributor

My husband just had his done last month. Yes, its true. Medicare will only cover if the surg is done with a scalpel.  Rididculous.  He was offered 2 options that were done with the laser and as far as lenses go.  He opted for middle of the road and just uses glasses for reading.  Distance vision is perfect. $2800. for each eyes.

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

My husband just had his done last month. Yes, its true. Medicare will only cover if the surg is done with a scalpel.  Rididculous.  He was offered 2 options that were done with the laser and as far as lenses go.  He opted for middle of the road and just uses glasses for reading.  Distance vision is perfect. $2800. for each eyes.

My 2 cataracts surgeries this past year  were 100% paid for, I have Medicare and a supplement with Aetna and I know I had a laser.  My procedures were very quick with me having no anesthesia at all, so I know there were no scalpels involved. 

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Thank you for that information. 

Honored Contributor

I've read that Medicare will cover either traditional or laser cataract surgery, provided it is medically necessary.  

Trusted Contributor

@Flatbush  how do you keep your eye(s) from moving while they're doing it?

Could you feel anything while they were doing it?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I've read that Medicare will cover either traditional or laser cataract surgery, provided it is medically necessary.  

For me it was medically necessary, I was just about blinded.