Honored Contributor

I gave up calcium supplements several years ago when I read that calcium supplements can damage the heart or even cause heart attacks, but calcium from food sources protect the heart.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I gave up calcium supplements several years ago when I read that calcium supplements can damage the heart or even cause heart attacks, but calcium from food sources protect the heart.  

May I add....food sources from plants, only, will protect the heart.

Eating dairy or bones, like yogurt, milk, cheese, sardines will

hurt the heart from the saturated fat. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

You were very smart to give up supplement years ago.

I see so many spending $$ on supplements, pills & powders

when diet alone is sufficient, saves so much money & 

reduce the risks of over-taking these formulas. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Remember the magic formula for taking calcium is to also take it with D3, magnesium and K2. The K2 is very important. Keeps calcium away from the heart.  I have been taking calcium for the last 15 years and have no clue as to what my levels are, never heard of such a thing being tested. 

@Shelbelle  it is always on my basic annual lab testing....the body keeps the calcium level in the blood tightly controlled and when it goes to 10 or higher there is a problem.  Your doctor should have been checking this right along.  

I take 1200mg's of calcium citrate....d3 and K2....my calcium testing is always normal range (below 10) HTH

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

May I add....food sources from plants, only, will protect the heart.

Eating dairy or bones, like yogurt, milk, cheese, sardines will

hurt the heart from the saturated fat. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

You were very smart to give up supplement years ago.

I see so many spending $$ on supplements, pills & powders

when diet alone is sufficient, saves so much money & 

reduce the risks of over-taking these formulas. 

Well, that was only the calcium, @sidsmom, but thanks.  Until just recently, my DH and I were taking a bunch of different things, believing they would make up for what we may have been lacking in our diet.  Our diet isn't horrible, better than it used to be, but we still enjoy things from time to time that probably aren't the best for us.  I've been reading more and more about supplements really not helping and in some cases even harming.  We've re-evaluated things and pared down quite a bit but aren't ready to go completely cold turkey.  We still still take a multivitamin, probiotic, Cocoa Via, high DHA Omega-3's, astaxanthin, and marine collagen.  I know that sounds like double-talk, but right now we believe those are still appropriate for our health needs.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604  @KatieB  @Shelbelle  @tsavorite 

I cringe whenever I hear anyone taking calcium in any form. 

Taking D3 & K2 is great...but not calcium. I recommend watching the two videos below and even reading the osteoporosis thread (link below).

Dr Ken Berry - Stop taking that Calcium Supplement

Dr Ken Berry - Reverse or Prevent Osteoporosis

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Osteoporosis/td-p/5378509/page/2