Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@2blonde   That's not good...  I have to have an ultrasound on my carotid arteries yearly, because of clogged arteries due to high cholesterol...   Not good at all....   

And the vascular surgeon will not do surgery until they are at least 80% clogged because the surgery is so dangerous...

@KatieB 

Sorry to hear this. What natural methods has your Cardiologist/Neurosurgeon told you to try to lower your lipid Total number and it's ratio's? I assume you are taking a Statin, no? None of my business, I do understand.

hckynut

@hckynut   I take 40mg Simvastatin (generic for Zocor) daily.   I've tried eating lots of oatmeal because it's supposed to help with cholesterol..  But I don't like oatmeal.  So now I'm trying to use flax seed meal when cooking or baking.  It's supposed to help lower LDL levels...   The only number I remember from my last physical was the LDL was 132, which the PCP said was normal..  That is not normal, in fact it's borderline high..  I'm not too sure about this doctor.  My cardiologist told me to go to my PCP to handle the high cholesterol problem..  But this one is not very good IMO..  Found the numbers:  Total Cholesterol - 208; Triglycerides - 87; HDL - 58....
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Remember the magic formula for taking calcium is to also take it with D3, magnesium and K2. The K2 is very important. Keeps calcium away from the heart.  I have been taking calcium for the last 15 years and have no clue as to what my levels are, never heard of such a thing being tested. 

@Shelbelle I'm hoping I can find this K2 at the drug store.. I've never noticed it before.. Do you have a brand?  NatureMade brand is what I look for..

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Remember the magic formula for taking calcium is to also take it with D3, magnesium and K2. The K2 is very important. Keeps calcium away from the heart.  I have been taking calcium for the last 15 years and have no clue as to what my levels are, never heard of such a thing being tested. 

@Shelbelle I'm hoping I can find this K2 at the drug store.. I've never noticed it before.. Do you have a brand?  NatureMade brand is what I look for..

My brand of choice is from Doctors Best, each cap is 100 mcg, take one daily, and it is made from chickpeas, so no soy content. Most like Nature Made is made from natto, a form of fermented soy. I buy mine from the Swanson site or the Vitacost site. But I am sure it is on amazon too. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   It is in a regular blood panel, if you ever have one.  Don't you see the results?  My doctor sends results via their system, I log in and can see the results of any and all tests I have had..

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@KatieB It can bind with cholesterol and clog your arteries.

Can you provide a link to back this up?

Dietary calcium (plant sources) will not calcify the arterial system.

Where it does...is if you consume animal products, like dairy, which

are high in calcium....but it’s the fat which will clog the arteries,

not the mineral calcium.

@sidsmom   I was referring to supplements.

Just Reason #83626209 why supplements should not be taken

when plant-based calcium can be consumed.  A calcium supplement

floods the system unnaturally and the body has to adjust,

never in a good way. 

@sidsmom   I think that is what happened to me.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  The only reason I've heard of it being tested is for a thyroid problem such as an overactive thyroid.

@colliemom4   The calcium is automatically tested in one's blood panel, which most people of a certain age should have every year, you know, like kidney function, lipase, cholesterol, etc., etc.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@2blonde   That's not good...  I have to have an ultrasound on my carotid arteries yearly, because of clogged arteries due to high cholesterol...   Not good at all....   

And the vascular surgeon will not do surgery until they are at least 80% clogged because the surgery is so dangerous...

@KatieB 

Sorry to hear this. What natural methods has your Cardiologist/Neurosurgeon told you to try to lower your lipid Total number and it's ratio's? I assume you are taking a Statin, no? None of my business, I do understand.

hckynut

@hckynut   I take 40mg Simvastatin (generic for Zocor) daily.   I've tried eating lots of oatmeal because it's supposed to help with cholesterol..  But I don't like oatmeal.  So now I'm trying to use flax seed meal when cooking or baking.  It's supposed to help lower LDL levels...   The only number I remember from my last physical was the LDL was 132, which the PCP said was normal..  That is not normal, in fact it's borderline high..  I'm not too sure about this doctor.  My cardiologist told me to go to my PCP to handle the high cholesterol problem..  But this one is not very good IMO..  Found the numbers:  Total Cholesterol - 208; Triglycerides - 87; HDL - 58....

@KatieB   Not to keep mentioning andrew Lessman's products, but I mention the ones I use, such as ChocoNuvo for cholesterol, and mine was improved shown in my recent blood panel.  I have DH on it to satiate his sweet cravings as he is not supposed to eat sugar, so I will see when he is tested again if there is improvement there.

Lessman also sells a capsule product to lower cholesterol, in case you may be interested.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@KatieB   I use Andrew Lessman's when I take calcium capsules.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  The only reason I've heard of it being tested is for a thyroid problem such as an overactive thyroid.

@colliemom4   The calcium is automatically tested in one's blood panel, which most people of a certain age should have every year, you know, like kidney function, lipase, cholesterol, etc., etc.

@mousiegirl  I've never noticed it on the blood panel but wasn't looking for it. No doctor has ever said anything to me about having an elevated calcium level though. I just had a physical and blood work done in Jan. My sister in law has had thyroid problems and had her calcium levels checked. She also drank too much water and it did something to another level in her body. It sounds strange I know.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@mousiegirl  I've never noticed it on the blood panel but wasn't looking for it. No doctor has ever said anything to me about having an elevated calcium level though. I just had a physical and blood work done in Jan. My sister in law has had thyroid problems and had her calcium levels checked. She also drank too much water and it did something to another level in her body. It sounds strange I know.

@colliemom4   If your doctor didn't mention it and said everything looks good, then you don't have an elevated calcium level.  I never did before recently, but solved it by stopping the supplement, but as I said, I will use it on days when I don't get much calcium through food.  I like to see the results in print, it helps me understand everything and I can compare to previous years.