Honored Contributor

By the end of this year, I'd plan to be down the last 20 lbs. I want to lose.

Exercise is almost non-existent, due to bad back, so hit me with your best diet tips please!! I am doing WW, but I want all the tips I can get. I really wonder how many are doing low carb, paleo (which I thought was low carb).

What's worked for you? Maintenance, and little sayings or mantra's?? Those are good too.

Thanks! THIS is the year!!

Honored Contributor

Re: By the end of this year, I'd plan to be down the last 20 lbs. I want to lose.

Eat your main meal for breakfast (if that's possible)......... Get at least 50 grams of lean protein, and cut out the sugar!!!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Re: By the end of this year, I'd plan to be down the last 20 lbs. I want to lose.

Good luck with your goal! If you keep your eye on it, you will get there.

The biggest diet killer for me is having high-calorie foods on hand in large quantities. I try to get just a small bag of cheese popcorn or one candy bar instead. If you have a bad back, could you do exercises sitting in a chair or exercise your arms just to tone up where you can and burn calories? Exercise has a good effect on one's state of mind and motivation, so do what you can without endangering your back.

Honored Contributor

Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water. If you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces of water daily.

Do you have access to a sauna? These are great for sweating, and eliminating the toxins that way, if you can't exercise and get your sweat on. You can also try dry brushing your skin to help with elimination of toxins.

Set your goal weight and multiply by 10 to find out your maximum number of calories. If you want to weigh 120, you have a max of 1,200 calories to get to that goal.

Super Contributor

I am reading The Fast Metabolism Diet. It looks totally do-able. It is based on whole organic foods but eaten on a schedule to ignite your metabolism. The 1st phase is 3 days with a lot of carbs, then phase 2 is protein and veggies, then phase 3 which is a combo. But you have to eat 5 or 6 times a day to keep your metabolism stoked. Haven't finished reading it yet, but I hope to start next week. The food eliminated is sugar and caffeine.

Esteemed Contributor

Excellent advice so far, qualitygal. I must have gotten my dad's genes and have fought the battle my whole life just to maintain my desired weight. My mother was thin as a rail. Anyway, I have found that 1,200 calories a day broken down into about 200 calories six times a day works for me. Even w/o exercise. Good luck ~ it's hard ~ but promise yourself a bunch of new clothes when you're done. Rewards are fun to look forward to.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I love Paleo and intermittent fasting, but I don't eat a lot of fat. Meals are mostly low carb veggies, low sugar fruits, nuts and egg/egg whites, with a meat or fish meal every once in a while. I don't usually exercise as much as I'd like to. I have two cups of coffee when I wake up, and my daily meal between 5-8 pm. No snackng. I haven't felt as well as I do in many years, and I've lost about 65 pounds.
Honored Contributor

If you are following WW and attending weekly meetings you have the very best plan available already. Don't confuse yourself with other plans/ideas.
Honored Contributor

Thank you all,

Groceries, got more fish meals

Got a greek yogurt type thing for "dessert" when I need a little chocolate taste.

But I do appreciate those hints and I'll do all I can!

Honored Contributor

Good for you! You can do it!

I lost over 80 lbs last year, over 115 lbs total so far.

After years of dieting I put on my Big Girl Panties and looking back at what worked best for me. The best is what I do now. I eliminated foods that caused me to ache, have brain fog, crave foods. I did this in stages & know the foods were problem ones based on how much better I feel w/o them.

I eliminated processed foods, all sugars & artificial sweeteners, all grains, dairy (except organic/natural butter, which does not contain the things that cause food sensitivities). I do not eat starchy vegetables or fruits. I may add these back in very small amounts after my weight has stabilized but, nutritionally, I know they are not necessary & don't miss them at all.

I eat whole foods; proteins like grassfed beef, wild-caught salmon, chicken breasts, whole eggs; healthy fats, mostly virgin coconut oil, organic/local butter, ghee, MCT oil; fresh vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, asparagus, chard, and other nutrient-rich greens.

I love the way I eat! The food tastes great & fills me up. I feel great & have no cravings at all for unhealthy foods. I eat this way 100% of the time. I have no desire to punish my body with unhealthy food.