Honored Contributor

I have bunions on both feet, but one is much worse than the other.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon about other foot problems a few years ago.  She told me when my bunion started hurting a lot I might need surgery.  

It has started hurting a great deal.  It wakes me up at night, and I'm getting up and taking Tylenol in the middle of the night.  I live alone and have a dog and a cat.  If I had surgery what is the recovery like?  I have a one level house, so that would be good.

Would I be able to stay by myself?  I thought I could let my petsitter keep my dog and let my cat stay here.  My sister lives in town, but she works two days a week and I would hate to impose on her by staying there.  I'm thinking it's just not feasible for me to have the surgery.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack   Yes, I have bunions too (flat feet all my life), but I've been able to stave off surgery by being extra careful about my footwear, and I continue to be a jogger after 35 years.

I wear only shoes with lots of toe and forefoot room.  I like some cushioning, but mostly I need a good arch support......I find that one thing in particular takes a lot of the stress off the forefoot and heel.  When I'm at home, I never go barefoot, and I only wear Birkenstock thong type sandals year round in the house.  In the summer, I wear my other Birks everywhere.  I find the openness near the bunion prevents some irritation, and the toe post helps keep my big toe away from the others.

I hope you don't have to have the surgery.  I know of women with excellent outcomes, and I also know others who were worse after the surgery.  One women here at work had to have metal plates put in her foot and still limps badly after 6 months.  I think it really makes a difference in the doctor you choose.  I hope you find the right solution, as I know pain in the feet is the worst!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Thank you @2blonde .  I do wear the right kind of shoes.  I went to the orthopedic surgeon a few years ago because my feet hurt so bad when I walked.  I didn't realize I had flat feet, but she gave me a list of brands that would be comfortable for my feet.  I've had to keep my bunions in mind when buying shoes for a long time.  I really don't want to have the surgery.  I've known people who have had it, and the recovery seems so long.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I had bunion surgery 7 years ago.  My mom did stay with me because I have a 2 story house and was on crutches.  However, if you have a one story house, you might be able to do it yourself.  I would have a friend stay with you for the first night after surgery and depending how active your dog is, you might need to get a dog walker.  Some doctors keep you on crutches for several weeks, some don't.  You will probably be in a boot, so make sure you have a pair of shoes (usually athletic) that are the same relative height as the boot, otherwise, your back and hips will hurt.

I will say, it took me a long time to recover, but I don't have the pain that I did.  My podiatrist recommends a $30 pair of orthotics from the drug store called powerwalk or power step.  It's what he uses instead of the $400 ones.  I find them to be very good and use them in my athletic shoes.

Respected Contributor

The feet bear the brunt of our weight and are farther from the heart so blood flow takes longer to get there, therefore they take longer to heal.   I had surgery and complained about how long it was taking and this is what was told to me by my podiatrist.........good luck on your "sole journey" if you choose this path. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Boomernichols  and @DrKelli .  DrKelli, I think I would let my petsitter keep my dog in her home at least during the first week of my recovery.  She's great, and Frankie my dog is very happy with anyone.  

I think I'm going to try my best not to have the surgery but did want to get some feedback on what the recovery was like.  I've been thinking more about it since my foot has started throbbing in the middle of the night.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack @I have a Morton’s neuroma and my foot is painful too. I purchased yoga toes and wear them in the evening to stretch out my feet and also I massage my feet.This helps a little as it incourages less pressure on the nerves that cause the pain.I don’t know if it could help you or not.I also stretch out my toes while sitting as often as I think of it.I hope you find a way to feel less pain and won’t have to get surgery.There are so many nerves in the feet and small bones that I am not in any rush to get operated on.

Valued Contributor

I had bunion/hammertoe surgery a few years back.  I was in a boot but was told by my dr. to keep weight off of the boot.  Since I proved to be totally unstable on crutches I rented a knee scooter.  Well I ended up being on that scooter about 3 months.  Could not walk my dog, but since I live with my family they walked her for me.  

My initial intent was to have the other foot done as soon as the first one healed, but it was such an ordeal I didn't go forward with the other foot.

I too have to be mindful of the shoes I buy because of the one foot that still has a bunion.

On the positive side, being on the knee scooter for 3 months strengthened my core!

If you go ahead with the surgery I strongly recommend renting (or buying) some type of scooter.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Stevie Nix .  It's sounding more and more like I shouldn't even consider doing this.  I just don't have the support system to help me through the recovery.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I had both my bunions done at the same time.  I didn't want to go thru 2 surgeries and 2 recoveries.  My husband was working at the time and I recently retired (age 55).  He would fix me lunch and I would use a wheelchair to get to the kitchen.  It was very painful.  I remember we had to ice my feet (elevated) for 45 min or so periodically.  I would get so bored in the house that he would take me to the mall and wheel me around.  I'm glad I had it done.