Honored Contributor

Thank you @henderson .  Two at the same time sounds pretty awful.  I'm sure you were glad to get it over with though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  Right after I retired in 1998, I had surgery on the tendon on my right foot and was in a wheelchair for 3 months.  I had 2 dogs and lived alone (thankfully) in a one-story house.  I did just fine; was able to let the dogs out the back door and had no trouble feeding them.  You have to plan ahead and have things like groceries, dog food, ice bags and other supplies on hand.  It might be easier if you had one foot done at a time.  Put friends on notice to help with driving for groceries, appointments, prescriptions, etc.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Hi, I had surgery on both feet at the same time back in 1994 ....

a bunion on each foot and two spurs on my right foot.  I could hardly walk because of the spurs.

If I had it to do again, I would only do one foot at a time.  I would do the worst foot first.  It was hard to get around with both feet healing at the same time.  

I'm sure the technology has changed a lot since my surgery 25 years ago, so the details of my surgical procedure and recovery may no longer be applicable.  

I would recommend that you use one of the scooters that you kneel on.  I see people using them these days and it would make life so much easier.  Also plan ahead for bathing/showering issues as you will not be able to get the incision wet for some length of time.  You may need to get a shower/bath chair and cover to keep your foot dry.  Your doctor should be able to advise you on what you will need.  

My podiatrist arranged for me to have a device to use for several days after the surgery.  It was a box that was a pump with octopus-like hoses attached to circulate chilled water around each of my feet to control swelling, instead of traditional icing.  It was wonderful and really worked well.  Again, old technology that might not be used these days, but I like it.  I had hardly any pain.  

Because of the anesthesia, you would likely need someone to be with you the first 24 hours.  And you will need to keep your foot/feet elevated for awhile .... ask your doctor what to expect.

If you can't arrange for any friends or family members to help you out for a few weeks, you might be able to arrange for home health care or aide to come to your house until you can get back on your feet, especially if you have Medicare and supplemental insurance.  They can assist with whatever you need, including being with you while you shower or bathe as a precaution.  You sure don't want to have an accident while you're in the bathroom.  

You might be eligible for Meals on Wheels to bring food.  Your church might have a ministry to bring food or provide assistance to those recovering from surgery.  In my area, a lot of grocery stores will do your shopping for pickup or delivery, and many restaurants do carryout for pickup or even delivery.  There are a number of delivery services, some work with Lyft or Uber.  

If you have some days to plan, you can do a lot to get your home space set up ahead of time.  Be sure to have some books & movies handy while you convalesce, have a phone available so you can pass the time catching up with family & friends, or call for assistance if you need it.  When I had my surgery, we only had a landline that was on a cord, and it didn't reach to the couch where I was resting, so that was frustrating.  Thankfully we have portable phones and cell phones now.  

My right foot was in worse shape, so when I was able to start getting out, I had to learn to drive with my left foot working the pedals for awhile.  Hopefully you will be able to use your right foot it you want/need to drive.  Lyft & Uber could be good options too if you want transportation somewhere.  Family & friends can be a real help too, and many people are very happy to help.  

One of my first trips out was to the local home decor warehouse store.  They had a wheelchair in the store, and my husband graciously pushed me around.  You know you are starting to feel better when cabin fever sets in LOL!

I sure hope that you feel like you can move forward with the surgery.  I am so thankful that I had my feet done.  It was so worth it .... I now have beautiful straight pain-free feet!

Blessings for successful surgery!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @Kachina624  and @SuperShopper .  That was very helpful advice.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau