Respected Contributor

Re: Bunion Surgery - your experiences please....

@NickNack wrote:

I have bunions.  The one on my right foot is quite large.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and she said if it they weren't hurting really badly that she wouldn't recommend surgery, especially since I live alone.  My bunions don't hurt very often, so I'm leaving them alone.  She said I wouldn't be able to stay alone for a while.  Hopefully I'll never have to have the surgery.

@NickNack

I am in complete agreement with your orthopedic surgeon.  Mine refused to do it, so I found a podiatrist that would.  There is some extreme pain and mobility issues involved.  Thank goodness I had someone to help me.  My advice is to always listen to an orthopedic surgeon. 

Trusted Contributor

I have mild bunions. The angle on my left foot big toe is 15 degrees. I think there is supposed to be some threshold where anything over a certain degree, they want to do surgery. I plan to put any type of surgery off as long as I possible can. Orthepedic inserts and wearing Vionic shoes around the house has helped a lot.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

good luck with procedure.

I have had so much done to my foot for bunion,fusion, and who knows what else with 1 doctor. he supposedly did stuff to my foot that was to fix the problem. it didn't

after years of hobbiling around, i called a local foot doctor for an appointment. saw him, he said it sure looked bad. which it was.

he tried everything in office nothing was working. finally he said I will have to do surgery to figure out what was going on.

He found the problem. a bone that was supposedly taken out in 015 by that last doctor was NOT taken out. The new doctor took out the bone, and it took me 6-8 weeks to heal and am backing to walking my 2 miles daily. 

this all took place from 2003-2015 with old doctor,he just kept telling me to come back he would fix my foot. he never fixed it, just kept getting stuff from insurance of what was paid and not paid. 

June 2018 -- to August 2018 for a foot that I am finally able to walk on and NO more pain, bleeding. My toe is finally fixed enough to walk. 

Just make sure your doctor is good. Boy I found this out  when I thought I was picking out a good doctor and got a dud in 2003-2015.