Super Contributor

Bunion Surgery - your experiences please....

My first post in "Wellness."  Just got back from doctor and will have to have bunion surgery.

First time at this doctor.  She walks in and looks about 12 years old.  I ask her if she went to medical school and we both laughed.  (I guess you know you're old when doctors, police, politicians, are all much younger than you!)

Anyway....after a long visit and consultation, I will be having bunion removal surgery.  It's impeding my ability to walk for an extended period of time.  Both my mom and my sister had same issues.  Maybe genetic? 

Surgery will be outpatient and - get this - they don't use full anesthesia but instead, use something slightly stronger than what's used for colonoscopy. 

Doctor told me all info and gave me folder with all info so that I can read at home at leisure.

For those that have had this surgery within the past few years (my mom and sister had it 30 years ago) -- can you let me know your experiences and how your recovery was?

Geez.....I hate getting old.....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bunion Surgery - your experiences please....

@I'm sorry you're having to deal with this... I had bunion surgery over 35 years ago so my "ordeal" wouldn't be helpful.  Mine was slightly unusual anyway... they had to break the bone in my foot and reset the angle of the bone, put a pin in the side of my foot, and a cast up to my knee for six weeks.  A week in the hospital - can you even imagine that in today's medical world?

Hopefully with all the strides they've made for this kind of surgery, you will do well.  I just wanted to agree with your last remark "I hate getting old"... but everytime I think that, I remind myself of the old saying, "it's better than the alternative!" happy feet penguin emoticon

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had bunion surgery, on both feet at the same time, when I was 28. I’m now 62. 

I was terrified of being put under because I never had been so I chose to be awake....fully awake. I didn’t feel anything in my feet, but I was fully aware. I wore headphones and listened to music. Don't know if I’d make that choice again, but I got through it. It wasn’t horrible. 

Anyway, best thing I ever did. While I’ve had other foot issues since, I’ve never had bunion problems again. 

A podiatrist did my surgery. I didn’t even need a pain pill. 

One thing about bunions....they’re not going to get better on their own and I was only 28 and didn’t want to have bunion issues my entire life. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@chi5925

I had my surgery 11 years ago.  You can request a deeper sleep.  I did not want to hear grinding. 

My othopedic surgeon advised against the surgery due to all the nerves in the foot.  I found a podiatrist who would do it.  I wish I had listened to my orthopedic surgeon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chi5925 wrote:

My first post in "Wellness."  Just got back from doctor and will have to have bunion surgery.

First time at this doctor.  She walks in and looks about 12 years old.  I ask her if she went to medical school and we both laughed.  (I guess you know you're old when doctors, police, politicians, are all much younger than you!)

Anyway....after a long visit and consultation, I will be having bunion removal surgery.  It's impeding my ability to walk for an extended period of time.  Both my mom and my sister had same issues.  Maybe genetic? 

Surgery will be outpatient and - get this - they don't use full anesthesia but instead, use something slightly stronger than what's used for colonoscopy. 

Doctor told me all info and gave me folder with all info so that I can read at home at leisure.

For those that have had this surgery within the past few years (my mom and sister had it 30 years ago) -- can you let me know your experiences and how your recovery was?

Geez.....I hate getting old.....

I had bunion surgery, maybe 5 years ago. That sounds like the anesthesia I had, it was not a problem for me. My dr said I could get up to go to the bathroom and that was about it. So, make plans for that. I had on and off pain after the surgery for about 9 months, but it was so worth it, not like the pain of the bunion.

Honestly, it was one of the best things I have done for myself. The bunion was very painful and it was affecting my quality of life.

I would research the dr on medical sites or was around about her.

Good luck to you.

Occasional Contributor

Hi - I had both feet operated on about 10 years ago so I am outdated but can tell you I did very well and I am glad I had it done.  I pray everything goes well for you too!

Super Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I was terrified of being put under because I never had been so I chose to be awake....fully awake. I didn’t feel anything in my feet, but I was fully aware. I wore headphones and listened to music. Dint know if I’d make that choice again, but I got through it. It wasn’t horrible. 

Anyway, best thing I ever did. While I’ve had other foot issues since, I’ve never had bunion problems again. 

One thing about bunions....they’re not going to get better on their own and I was only 28 and didn’t want to have bunion issues my entire life. 

Thanks.  My sister said the same thing.  One of my concerns was "could bunion come back again?" Both doc (and my sister) said no. 

Super Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@chi5925

I had my surgery 11 years ago.  You can request a deeper sleep.  I did not want to hear grinding. 

My othopedic surgeon advised against the surgery due to all the nerves in the foot.  I found a podiatrist who would do it.  I wish I had listened to my orthopedic surgeon. 

Yikes!  what happened? 

Super Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I was terrified of being put under because I never had been so I chose to be awake....fully awake. I didn’t feel anything in my feet, but I was fully aware. I wore headphones and listened to music. Dint know if I’d make that choice again, but I got through it. It wasn’t horrible. 

That was exactly my thinking.  It's kind of bad now and I didn't want to beg for surgery when I'm 75+ years old.  Better to get it done now. 

Super Contributor

@bird1 wrote:

Hi - I had both feet operated on about 10 years ago so I am outdated but can tell you I did very well and I am glad I had it done.  I pray everything goes well for you too!

Thank you for the kind thoughts!    Welcome to the Boards!