Honored Contributor

Re: Bruising -- regular and blood bruising

[ Edited ]

I've heard of blood spots, aka purpura or petechiae. But I have never heard of blood bruising...?? Blood spots can be the result of something more serious and really needs to be examined by a doctor if you get them for no obvious reason, other than injury to the skin. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Not sure what a blood bruise is; I thought all bruises were a result of blood vessel rupture.  I'm fair-skinned and I rarely bruise, so I don't know that it has anything to do with it.  They might show up more in fair-skinned people.

Nothing wrong with Arnica.  There are several products out on the market now for bruising.  I think Gold Bond even has one and I bet it includes arnica.  I had some cosmetic surgery several years ago and the plastic surgeon recommended a combination of supplements to take afterwards and one of those contained arnica.  Of course, it could be because he sold them, but I also found them on Amazon later; however, I doubt he would recommend something that would at all harm me.  He was quite cautious especially after finding out that my father had a blood clotting disorder.  

@Icegoddess

Well, I don't know if that is the technical term for them, but that is what I call them!  If you get them, you know what I mean. They aren't regular bruises that you get occasionally when you bang into something hard or have serious trauma to your body or skin.  These can be small dot like things, or they can be much larger and are red, or purplie like looking things and can take forever to heal. Just when you think they have, you start getting another batch!  They appear really almost like magic. And for myself, and others I know, they appear by merely just brushing up against an item of clothing or jewelry or anything or nothing.  Also, these things can show up because of illness and certain medications that are used.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've heard of blood spots, aka purpura or petechiae. But I have never heard of blood bruising...?? Blood spots can be the result of something more serious and really needs to be examined by a doctor if you get them for no obvious reason, other than injury to the skin. 

@SilleeMee

I have been to so many different doctors and types of doctors and have had so many tests you wouldn't believe.  I have been told its a combination of age, hereditary factors, thin, delicate, fair skin and the fact that I have to use a steroid type cream because of a skin condition that I have.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

I have been to so many different doctors and types of doctors and have had so many tests you wouldn't believe.  I have been told its a combination of age, hereditary factors, thin, delicate, fair skin and the fact that I have to use a steroid type cream because of a skin condition that I have.  

@AngelPuppy1:  I am so glad to hear that you have had all of the bloodwork to rule out any illness.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

@AngelPuppy1:  I am so glad to hear that you have had all of the bloodwork to rule out any illness.  

@Hoovermom

Thank you.  Oh, yeah, I have been through the gamut, believe me.  I was hopeful they would find something (not anything horrible) and would say --- oh, you need to take this or that and it will fix the problem.  But sadly -- no. I know there are worse things in life but it is not a happy or pretty problem.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

Oh boy my Mom used to get these when she was alive....her's looked rather large on her forearms...about dime sized....kinda multi colored....some dark red with dark purple almost black!  She did have COPD...never took any blood thinners or blood pressure meds...but did use steroids when she had problems breathing.  Her breathing machine meds were non steroidal...forget the name but VERY expense to use instead of the cheaper Albuterol steroid medication.  

At 54 I get those super tiny red dots...forget the correct name...showed those to derm and she said they are not a serious medical issue.  I am very fair with thin skin...so I am thinking this is in my future...I hope not...I don't have the medical issues my Mom did at all.  I don't remember my Grandma having them but I could be wrong she might have.  I have always bruised easily...on my legs...I can just gently bump into something and have a large bruise right away.  What I find helpful is too ice it...really helps with swelling/pain.  I will be looking to pick up that product from Walmart.