Honored Contributor

Re: Bruising -- regular and blood bruising

I take a blood thinner so I bruise very easily. My skin is not thin, but I would never try to rub a bruise to dissipate it. I think you would be at risk for breaking bruised,delicate thin skin by rubbing it. I use Arnica gel and it even says on the directions to apply a thin layer and massage gently as soon as possible after minor injury. Repeat 3 times a day. It works for me and is approved by the pharmacist who regulates my Warfarin.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

Please seek your doctor's advice before using anything for bruising.  ProCure contains arnica.  I am not saying you should not use it but  know the side effects and get professional advice before using.  

@Nonametoday

I did check with one of my doctors and he said it was fine.  I didn't check with all of them, but don't know if they would have varing opinions.  I admit I don't use it all the time because I get lazy but when I do, it does seem to help.  Thanks!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  I am so glad you checked with them.  It is always important to make sure.  Even over-the-counter medicines, herbs and so forth can have contraindications and adverse interactions with other medicines.  Thank you for replying.  I feel better now that you checked with your doctor.  Have a nice Thanksgiving.

@Nonametoday

You also!!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If you are allergic to arnica, be aware that it can be used as a filler in some prescriptions. I have had reactions.

@Still Raining

Really?  I have never heard that.  Wonder why they would do that?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use Arnicare Gel. A big 2.6-oz tube for about $7. The gel absorbs fast, odorless and leaves no residue. 

I had some small varicose veins treated with a laser and I was left with a lot of bruising. The Arnicare really helped make them fade faster.

@SilleeMee

I have not seen that any where.  But I will have to look for it!  Thanks!  

@AngelPuppy1,

I found it in the pain relievers section at Walmart. Comes in a box, looks like this:

fa53a288-9e49-4ada-8ccf-7fe4de6031c6_1.d1c534d0099bb1df8e6988cc5e1738ce.jpeg

@SilleeMee

Thank you.  It is helpful to see what it looks like!!! 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have always had the brusing ,but as i age 68 next month ,it happens alot.

@goldensrbest

It's great, isn't it????  Yesterday for some reason was a particularly bad day for me.  I don't remember doing anything or hitting anything but I have so many more of those dumb blood bruises!  It makes me feel awful.  They are so ugly.  Just when I start getting a few cleared up then --- bam!!!  Here come a bunch of new ones!  Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I take a blood thinner so I bruise very easily. My skin is not thin, but I would never try to rub a bruise to dissipate it. I think you would be at risk for breaking bruised,delicate thin skin by rubbing it. I use Arnica gel and it even says on the directions to apply a thin layer and massage gently as soon as possible after minor injury. Repeat 3 times a day. It works for me and is approved by the pharmacist who regulates my Warfarin.

@blackhole99

I must have rubbed one a bit too much on the top of my hand yesterday because this morning I have a sore on it.  Uggh.  Now, I don't know what to put on it.  I know that I can't put Arnica on an open sore.  Wonder if you can put antibiotic cream on it?  Grrrr.  

Honored Contributor

@bridal_diva wrote:

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes I don't even know where or when I got it.

I do have some Arnicare- I'll see if that works. if not, I'll try the procure. Looks like someone beat me up and they do not dsiappear very fast. I mostly get them on my hands.

Getting older stinks!

@bridal_diva

I so agree with you!  I know there are worse things in life but it really makes you feel self-conscious. I tell my husband, I feel so old and ugly.  I am the same way.  Sometimes I will even wake up with new ones.  It's like --- how can that happen?  Even a piece of jewlery can give them to me.  And you are right, they do take a long time to go away.  

Honored Contributor

I thank everyone for sharing and commiserating!  I work with a lot of people and a couple  are about my age.  They do not have this issue.  They are fortunate.  The rest are way younger.  One younger woman -- she is about 38 --- asked me --- what is wrong with your skin?  She didn't say it in a mean way, really, but it made me feel really sad and upset.  It's not like I want to have these stupid things all over me.  And I don't always want to walk around with a turtle neck and long sleeves.  But at times I do wear more clothing than I would like or feel comfortable in just so people don't see these things.  Something else about aging that I never realized could happen!!!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99

I must have rubbed one a bit too much on the top of my hand yesterday because this morning I have a sore on it.  Uggh.  Now, I don't know what to put on it.  I know that I can't put Arnica on an open sore.  Wonder if you can put antibiotic cream on it?  Grrrr.  

@AngelPuppy1I think that's a good idea, that's what I would do.

Honored Contributor

Not sure what a blood bruise is; I thought all bruises were a result of blood vessel rupture.  I'm fair-skinned and I rarely bruise, so I don't know that it has anything to do with it.  They might show up more in fair-skinned people.

Nothing wrong with Arnica.  There are several products out on the market now for bruising.  I think Gold Bond even has one and I bet it includes arnica.  I had some cosmetic surgery several years ago and the plastic surgeon recommended a combination of supplements to take afterwards and one of those contained arnica.  Of course, it could be because he sold them, but I also found them on Amazon later; however, I doubt he would recommend something that would at all harm me.  He was quite cautious especially after finding out that my father had a blood clotting disorder.