Regular Contributor
Can anyone tell me anything about bronchitis? I have been to the doctor 4 times in 3weeks. I have had 2 antibiotic, prednisone abuterol codeine cough syrup. I am feeling better,but I am really tired and run down. does anyone know how long this last?
Honored Contributor

I think once you get it you are more susceptible. I have had it before (not in a LONG time) but a family member gets it often.

You can try natural honey, a humidifier or vaporizer, Vicks on the chest, and some preventative items like oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, and coconut oil. Lysine will also boost your immune system.

If you haven't already tried this, drinking apple cider vinegar in some water (sip throughout the day or serve hot and add honey) will help thin out the mucus.

Respected Contributor

The worst time I had it the illness seemed to linger for months. I don't know if I had Pneumonia or not but I may have. At first I took a albuterol inhaler, Z-Pack, and Allegra and I got better but still not feeling well, cough lasted and lasted, and I had not energy. I got short of breath walking in Wal-Mart. Then I called my doctor again and they did an MRI and I had Acute Bronchitis, Acute and Chronic Sinusitis. This was weeks later. I then was put on the albuterol inhaler, singular, Levaquin and Prednisone and the infection got better but it took me a long time to feel strong again and I got short of breath and had wheezes. I am back to normal now but I still take singulair, allegra, and the albuterol inhaler daily. I never want to get that again, it was terrible.

Honored Contributor

I've had bronchitis morph itself into pneumonia....twice. First time I let it get too far. I was coughing like a seal...missed 2 days work. The night before I went to the doctor, I was coughing out 2 times & could only inhale 1...I was thiiiis close to calling 911...I couldn't breath. When the nurse took my oxygen count...looooow. No wonder I was so tired!!. Steroids, antibiotics...the whole thing. I was down for a good month. Last yr, I got the same signs but nipped it in the bud before it got crazy. I would rather have projectile vomiting than full-blown walking pneumonia ever again.

Since you've had 2 rounds of antiboitics & no sign of relief, I would head to another doctor. I go to a 'doc-in-the-box' (PrimaCare) and have amazing service (and relief). Maybe try going to one in your area to get a 2nd opinion. If you feel like you're in the mend, be warned...it'll take time for your lungs to heal. Be gentle w/ them, sleep, sleep, sleep.

Honored Contributor

I had chronic bronchitis in high school, and it seemed it came every three months and lasted over a month. The coughing and not being able to breathe was horrible. I had to inhale steam throughout the day, and couldn't sleep lying down. I havn't had it since.

Super Contributor

Something bad is going around. I too have been to the doctor twice. Today marks two weeks of being sick. I have been coughing for two weeks straight. Today the MD said I have bronchitis and a touch of pneumonia. On my second round of meds. I haven't been this sick in many years.

Super Contributor

Bronchitis is ugly and takes a while to get over, esp. the coughing. I had it for the first time when I was 7 mos. pregnant 30 yrs. ago and I coughed so hard I cracked a rib. I have had it twice since, but it's been at least 10 yrs. I believe it was the start of my asthma.

Lolakimono's suggestions are excellent. Never heard about the apple cider vinegar before. It is true that once you get if you are more susceptible to getting it again. Which can be a major contributing factor to COPD.

I would add that if you have chronic sinus problems you will get great relief from a sinus rinse, not a spray, but an actual rinse such as NeilMed.

As others have mentioned lots of rest and steam inhalation. Try to build up your immune system with healthy eating and maybe some vitamins.

jagk - I hope you get some relief soon - best wishes.

Regular Contributor

Bronchitis can last a long time. I have had it linger for nearly 2 months despite medication. I can cough up shopping bags full of mucous when it is at its worst. I have never had severe shortness of breath as the others mentioned, just a bouncy, phlegmatic cough. I do try to be very cautious around others during winter months. We live in a condo building and I use a small baggie to open and close public doorways, use railings in the stairways, punch elevator and keypad buttons. Recently I learned of olive extract, you must be careful of interactions with some other medications, but I plan to take it daily. Family members and friends have been extoling its virtues since they 'never' get colds. I find a vaporizer, lots of fluids including chicken soup, cough lozenges, and Kleenex my best allies. The last 2 times I took no medication other than OTC cough syrup and occasional Tylenol. I come through it just the same whether or not I take prescription medication.

Honored Contributor

Try taking some turmeric for the inflammation......seems to help me

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

It can takes weeks, even months to recover from a severe bout of bronchitis. Latest research is saying bronchitis is viral and antibiotics aren't appropriate but doctors still prescribe them. Certainly all the medications you've taken can be contributing to that run down feeling. It will take a while for you to recover.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.